Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 01:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Going back to the link just posted

"New reports also show that Zimmerman was not administered a Breathalyzer or toxicology screen, even though it is the protocol for shootings. Rod Wheeler, a law enforcement expert, told ABC News that Zimmerman sounded intoxicated in the 911 calls."

In March when I posted that it was standard procedure to test someone after a shooting, a CD member claiming to be a cop called me a moron and said I didn't know what I was talking about.

So far there is nothing to indicate he was tested for drugs or alcohol, but could he have refused?
I do not ever remember anyone saying Zimmerman sounded intoxicated. We have all heard the tapes over and over; he didn't seem intoxicated to me, he didn't even seem out of control in anyway. You obviously want to believe it was all his fault and poor T was just being a typical kid, minding his own business. Do you forget there had been a lot of burglaries in the area? Have you seen the pictures of Zimmerman's face and head? If you have, you certainly must realize there are 2 sides to this story. I admit, at first I was convinced Zimmerman was the thug, I have since changed my mind. Do I think he over reacted? Yes, but should he or will he be found guilty of murder? Absolutely not.

You have also asked if carrying a gun makes people safer? I have no idea, I have never owned a gun, never intend on owning one and certainly would not carry a concealed one, but I have no problem with others who do.

Nita

Old 05-31-2012, 01:51 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
He shot the dude because he can't fight and couldn't believe in the moment that he was getting his ass whipped by a teenage kid that he miscalculated about and figured he could easily back him down. It happens. He never dreamed that he'd actually have to shoot the kid. Zimmerman's heart pumps kool-aid...he's not cold blooded. He's soft. If he can beat up a girlfriend or push a guy that he didn't know was a cop, he'll take that.

I don't see this as a gun-rights issue. It's simply a bad miscalculation by a soft ass dude playing cop that got in over his head. Believe me, without that gun, he wouldn't have been so truculent.

Sad thing is, i know he wishes like hell he wouldn't have ever left that car. It's all bad going forward from here.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:52 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
You're a fair person; how could anyone prove such a thing?
You could no more show proof that carrying a concealed
weapon improves your chances of survival when you go
shopping than you could prove that a concealed weapon
improves your chances of survival when you go to Luby's Cafeteria.
Ok, using this insane logic we all need to carry concealed weapons when we go to church (the pastor might get out of hand with his sermons), to weddings (shotgun of course), to school recitals (some of those kids really suck), to SSI offices (because there is something obviously wrong with you) in order to collect your "crazy check".

Old 05-31-2012, 01:53 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,808,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Thank you for calling me fair. However, why are you posting an article from 1991?
Not relevant to your question?
My point was, ya never know.
It's better to have and not need
than to need and not have.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:56 PM

[quote=nmnita;24544457]I do not ever remember anyone saying Zimmerman sounded intoxicated. We have all heard the tapes over and over; he didn't seem intoxicated to me, he didn't even seem out of control in anyway. You obviously want to believe it was all his fault and poor T was just being a typical kid, minding his own business. Do you forget there had been a lot of burglaries in the area? Have you seen the pictures of Zimmerman's face and head? If you have, you certainly must realize there are 2 sides to this story. I admit, at first I was convinced Zimmerman was the thug, I have since changed my mind. Do I think he over reacted? Yes, but should he or will he be found guilty of murder? Absolutely not.

You have also asked if carrying a gun makes people safer? I have no idea, I have never owned a gun, never intend on owning one and certainly would not carry a concealed one, but I have no problem with others who do.

Nita, there were buglaries in the area but they all were not committed by black either. My question has always been, would he have questioned a white or latino person or even an adult under the same circumstances? People are assuming that all of the crime in that area were committed by black youth and the police reports say otherwise.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Not relevant to your question?
My point was, ya never know.
It's better to have and not need
than to need and not have.

That may be true but if someone seen you with a gun and felt threatened would'nt they have the right to shot you as well?

Old 05-31-2012, 01:58 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,943,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Ok, using this insane logic we all need to carry concealed weapons when we go to church (the pastor might get out of hand with his sermons), to weddings (shotgun of course), to school recitals (some of those kids really suck), to SSI offices (because there is something obviously wrong with you) in order to collect your "crazy check".
I think you miss the point, which is this; someone who carries a pistol, carries it all the time, unless there is a specific reason not to. Such as when going someplace that prohibits firearms. It's not like he decided to weapon up because he was headed to the store. More likely, he has the permit to carry the weapon, and carries it with him most of the time. That is the habit of the people I know who have carry permits.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:01 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,808,959 times
Quote:
That may be true but if someone seen you with a gun and felt threatened would'nt they have the right to shot you as well?
In your scenario, one permit holder detects that someone
else is also carrying and preemptively shoots them?
Try again.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:08 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,412,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
...wasn't it you that posted the link about Martin's girlfriends interview about the phone call? There have been so many threads now I'm not sure. Anyway, didn't the reports where it was quoted indicate that Martin initiated the verbal contact? "Why are you following me?" or was that asked by Zimmerman, indicating that Martin was following him?
u

Girl friend reported that Martin said "Why are you following me"? I think Zimmerman's reply was "What are you doing here".......which makes me now wonder why Zimmerman didn't just respond that he was part of the neighborhood watch for that community, or that he was a concerned member of the community and just keeping an eye on the place, didn't recognize Martin, etc. That would have solved the problem with no death.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:12 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
Quote:
If the trip to the neighborhood Kmart is in a war zone, maybe the police should have more people patrolling it
Terrible things happen every day in our lives. One of the most dangerous things we do (especially in Florida) is get behind the wheel of a car and turn the key. Taking a shower is also very dangerous. According to the [URL="http://www.cdc.gov/Features/FallRisks/"]CDC
[/URL]
"Falls are the source of most injuries in bathrooms. In one year 234,000 people 15 and older visited emergency rooms due to injuries suffered in bathrooms. Most of these injuries were caused by falls, which can be especially dangerous for older adults."

As I wrote earlier, I must live in a different world than many of those who believe it's important to carry a gun around, especially into a store or restaurant. I wouldn't shop in an area with a lot of crime and agree that increased police presence is necessary in those areas.

After the Tucson shooting in 2011, one of the men who helped detain Jared Loughner almost shot an innocent man. He is still a gun owner and does not advocate gun control, but he admitted he almost blew away an innocent bystander in all the commotion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies