Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 12:30 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,016,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Don't you think the issue now is whether or not Zimmerman is telling the truth when he says he was in fear for his life or great bodily harm, whether or not a jury will take his word at face value? If he will lie about money and a passport, why in the world would he NOT lie to protect himself from prosecution in this case?
You're good with the law...do judges not have access to all of the information related to the case, or are they dependent on getting it in bits and pieces from the attorneys? Has the judge not seen official documents like the arrest report and ME's findings?

Old 06-06-2012, 01:00 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
You're good with the law...do judges not have access to all of the information related to the case, or are they dependent on getting it in bits and pieces from the attorneys? Has the judge not seen official documents like the arrest report and ME's findings?
The Judge has access to information that's in the court file.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
The Judge has access to information that's in the court file.
Thanks, FancyFeast. Wish I could read his mind!

Old 06-06-2012, 01:29 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Thanks, FancyFeast. Wish I could read his mind!
He's not supposed to form an opinion in favor of one side or the other. He'll learn the case via reading the docs in the court file, in pre-trial hearings with the attys. He won't do any investigating of the case. He has to make rulings prior to trial regarding various legal issues and sometimes regarding certain physical evidence, He has to be totally impartial as evidence comes out at the trial.

The judge said last week that he wanted Zimmerman and his wife to come in for questioning regarding the info in the State's motion (finances & Passport).

Old 06-06-2012, 01:43 AM

Quote:
He's not supposed to form an opinion in favor of one side or the other. He'll learn the case via reading the docs in the court file, in pre-trial hearings with the attys. He won't do any investigating of the case. He has to make rulings prior to trial regarding various legal issues and sometimes regarding certain physical evidence, He has to be totally impartial as evidence comes out at the trial.

The judge said last week that he wanted Zimmerman and his wife to come in for questioning regarding the info in the State's motion (finances & Passport).

The judge seemed somewhat irritated that Zimmerman had perjured himself; I doubt that's a beneficial first impression. But as you say, it's his job to be impartial. I'll be curious to see how the State handles the issue of the bullet's trajectory; I can't help but wonder if that's part of the inconsistencies with
Zimmerman's account of the physical altercation. Guess we'll be waiting until next year to have many questions answered. Right now I'm being thankful for the Magna Carta, since they understood even in 1215 c.e. that a trial by one's peers was a better idea than depending solely on the whim of an individual.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:15 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
I will be here to explore the feelings of these folks when Zimmerman does not go to trial.
You have more confidence in a judge than I do. Regardless of the evidence, I think he'll punt this case to a jury and gz will be convicted of something.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:25 AM

812 posts, read 595,411 times
Quote:
The torches and pitchforks thing is getting a little stale, along with the other repetitive vocabulary.

So you hate liberals, the President, support the gun lobby, see Trayvon as a thug, and continue to insist that Trayvon is to blame for his own death.....and you love to make references to "fertile imaginations."

Have you ever heard of something called circumstantial evidence?
Sure, provide that only and stop using your imagination of what happened. You have the finger pointed at conviction and all you spew is something called "hearsay" ever hear of that persecutor?

Old 06-06-2012, 06:04 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Don't you think the issue now is whether or not Zimmerman is telling the truth when he says he was in fear for his life or great bodily harm, whether or not a jury will take his word at face value? If he will lie about money and a passport, why in the world would he NOT lie to protect himself from prosecution in this case?
My question 1st. I've seen posts that say tm was standing his ground as if that, if true, negates the right of gz to use deadly force to protect himself if tm turned the tables. I'm curious about that reasoning and what Law stops gm from shooting tm ? iow, I'm trying to find out what other law might apply if tm 'stood his ground', was beating the heck out of gz, then gz stood his ground by using a gun.

I agree with your 1st sentence, up the suggestion a jury will have to take his word at face value. The defense will have witnesses to who was on the ground; the injuries and Probably a doctor to testify they're consistent with punch to the face and head beat on ground; Mr. Martin stating it wasn't tm yelling for help; and I Suppose other witness or physical evidence.

Sure a suspect/defendant will lie. I said the bond hearing was a very bad day for gz.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:39 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Zimmerman team delays filing new bond motion - CBS News

"George Zimmerman's defense team has delayed filing a motion for a new bond hearing, leaving the former neighborhood watch volunteer charged with killing Florida teen Trayvon Martin jailed for at least several more weeks. Mark O'Mara, Zimmerman's attorney, announced on his legal team's website Tuesday that he would put off filing a new bond motion, but offered no further explanation."
I think the defence will be using this time to come up with a plausible excuse for zimmerman to use at his next bond hearing for why he said nothing about the money he had.

If the prosecution is smart, they will use this time to feel out zimmerman's wife, maybe explain to her about the ramifications of perjury, and maybe get her to turn on her husband. The guy doesn't respect women; he probably beats his wife. Now's her chance to escape!

Old 06-06-2012, 07:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Often I have similar thoughts about certain people, but I'm not rude enough to post them.
Quote:
The torches and pitchforks thing is getting a little stale, along with the other repetitive vocabulary.
Agreed in both cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies