Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 11:17 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,998,682 times

Advertisements

This has been going in circles for too long. Everyone is writing as if they are a legal expert and know what they are writing about is truth.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:19 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,865,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
They used to be difficult to get because they were called "Cop Killers" in the 90s. However, they're sold in most states now. I think they are illegal in only one or two.

What's ironic is that they are banned by International Law, and cannot be used in war, but Joe Blow can buy one at the local ammo shop.

Army OKs Hollow-Point Bullets | Mother Jones
You are still WRONG.

Cop Killer Bullets

Hollow point bullets have NEVER been called Cop Killer bullets unless you're just a uninformed liberal moron and you misread the liberal newsletter that week.

Quote:
In 1966, the coroner of Lorain County, Ohio, Dr. Paul Kopsch, Sgt. Daniel Turcus, Jr., of the Lorain Police Dept.,. and Dr. Kopsch's special investigator, Donald Ward, decided that armor-piercing handgun cartridges could be sold to those police departments or officers that either lacked rifles or might be interested in testing special-purpose handgun ammunition. Major factories had produced such ammunition for the police for years, but interest was minimal, accounting for low sales and little attempt at improvement. Kopsch, Turcus and Ward easily succeeded in making a round that out-penetrated the tame old factory offerings.
Their original KTW bullet centered around a case-hardened steel core. Even at standard velocities, this core would obviously hold its shape and drill through automobiles, cinder blocks and other materials likely to defeat conventional police handgun loads. This was literally the core of the solution, but presented difficulties. The hard core would not take rifling and would ruin the bore. A gliding-metal jacket with full teflon coating took care of this. The round gave good penetration but poor accuracy at long range.
Then a ballistic engineer at the H.P. White Laboratories suggested that a new alloy called Kennertium W-10 be tried, instead of the steel then used, to add the ballistic stability needed for increased accuracy at long range. W- IO is a sintered tungsten alloy that is heavier than lead and harder than most steel alloys. The new material worked, but it was expensive. The expense didn't worry the developers much, since the specialty bullets would not be shot in quantity. In 1969, the prices for the 200-gr. W-10 cored, Teflon-coated .38 Spl. rounds were about six times those of conventional metal-pointed "armor-piercers" of standard make. Sales were low in volume, though relatively high in profit.

Then, in January 1982, a dramatic change occurred. KTW got national, prime-time television coverage in NBC's "Cop Killer Bullets." Law enforcement officials had pled with NBC to drop the sensational coverage of the virtually unknown bullets lest they come to the attention of criminals. NBC not only refused, but rebroadcast the show six months later. Then the print media joined in.
Of course, KTW's restricted sales policies forbade a rash of sales to criminals, but many police departments had to answer frantic questions from officers and the public concerning the implied threat. The departments didn't have data, and some set out to buy and test KTWs to see 'just what the threat was. Other small bullet makers saw the light and soon a number of KTW competitors appeared to share in police testing budgets. Hard cores were the rule, high velocities and pointed bullets were preferable, but Teflon was considered unnecessary.

1. No police officer has ever been shot with so-called "Cop-Killer Bullets".
  2. The "Cop-Killer Bullet" legislation which the anti-gun crowd tried to pass would have outlawed all firearm ammunition which would penetrate the bullet-proof vests commonly worn by police officers. It would have outlawed almost all rifle bullets commonly used for hunting, since almost all rifle bullets will easily penetrate such body armor. In other words, if this legislation had passed as written by the anti-gun crowd, it would have had the practical effect of ending all "legitimate sporting" uses of rifles by outlawing the ammunition.
  3. The legislation which was finally passed had the desired effect of outlawing civilian use of bullets specifically designed for police use in piercing armor while leaving rifle bullets exempt, as well they should have been. This compromise legislation was passed with the NRA's full assistance, cooperation and support.
Cop Killer bullets were designed with the exact opposite purpose as a hollow point, the intention was to create a bullet that could penetrate a bullet proof vest. Please stop spreading ignorant lies.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:22 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,966,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
You are still WRONG.

Hollow point bullets have NEVER been called Cop Killer bullets unless you're just a uninformed liberal moron and you misread the liberal newsletter that week.
I was specifically referring to the Black Talon.

I guess I'll have to Google it, but you'll probably still call me an ignorant moron.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Again, you're astoundingly ignorant of the facts.

Hollow Point ammo and "Cop Killer" bullets are 2 very different things.

Last time I checked the point of shooting someone was to cause injury, I'm not aware of any time when you would want to shoot someone and not injure them.
A Black Talon, which is a type of hollow point bullet, was called the "Cop Killer" back in the 90s. I am positive. Whether or not they actually killed any police officers is totally irrelevant. However, they are designed to tear muscle and tissue.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:30 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,023,304 times
Quote:
Well if you want to play that game there's NO evidence that GZ was ever following Trayvon, there's no proof that he actually did anything that he said on the 911 tape.

Why are you so quick to believe GZ when he said he was following Trayvon but you ignore what he said when he said he stopped? Oh wait, I know... because it destroys your biased outlook on this case, that's why.

If he wasn't following Martin, how did he get behind the row of townhouses? His truck was still parked in the street near the clubhouse. (There's a map in the link about the timeline that has a map of the complex, and where certain incidents occurred. It's in a piece written by a lawyer, so she's very precise.) He could have followed Martin from a safe distance on foot and seen where Trayvon went in order to tell the police where he'd gone. If he hadn't been following Martin, he'd have had a short distance to cover to be at his truck, the easiest and most obvious place to meet the police. He must have followed Martin, or DeeDee wouldn't have heard Zimmerman ask what he was doing there. It seems unlikely that Martin would have circled back and attacked Zimmerman while talking to his girlfriend on the phone.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I was specifically referring to the Black Talon.

I guess I'll have to Google it, but you'll probably still call me an ignorant moron.
Let's be honest, you used "cop killer bullets" because it's a ******* buzz word that's passed down from generation to generation of liberal morons and you had no idea what it meant. I corrected you and you used the term again incorrectly. Now you're trying to deflect by bringing up some specific brand and model hollow point round which many liberals back in the 90s erroneously labeled "cop killers" out of ignorance.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:32 PM

Descriptions of Hollow Point Bullets

[url=http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hollowpoint%20bullet]Urban Dictionary: hollowpoint bullet[/url]

hollowpoint bullet

Bullets with a cavity in the tip to allow greater expansion and less penetration on impact with a target.

Usually identified as "cop-killer bullets," even though hollowpoints are actually less effective at penetrating body armor than standard ball rounds.

I responded to a post that said "I didn't realize hollow point bullets were used to cause less injury" and you know that's not true. They were designed to tear through flesh.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:33 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,802,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Very moving speech. Let's not forget that he killed an innocent 17 year-old. What if Martin was your son?
How do you know he was innocent?

-:-

Old 04-29-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
He must have followed Martin, or DeeDee wouldn't have heard Zimmerman ask what he was doing there. It seems unlikely that Martin would have circled back and attacked Zimmerman while talking to his girlfriend on the phone.
He was talking to some random girl, it's not Trayvon's girlfriend and her story didn't come out until she was worked over by the race pimps who had an agenda.

To me it seems unlikely that Martin would have been chased down and shot by Zimmerman but somehow ended up on top of Zimmerman beating him before getting shot.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:35 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,419,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
I just have to mention that I don't consider his arrests|incidents that took place 7 years ago by an obvious immature 21 year old college student constitute "a long history of having a hot temper"...Now if he would have been arrested repeatedly and the injunction renewed that would IMO constitute a long history...the other incidents you mention...well that's just plain old fashioned HEARSAY...

And BTW here's an update to the drug testing by Governor Tricky Ricky... "Judge Orders Injunction on Florida's Welfare|Food Stamp Drug Testing Law" it's been in effect for awhile...

I 100% agree with you in the last part of your post...
If the state could find Williams Rule evidence, then they could bring up Zimmerman's past records.

Williams Rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies