Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 09:59 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,820,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How much federal income tax should a minimum wage burger flipper pay?
I believe that minimum wage burger flipper if that is his only job would be in the 15% in poverty which I said should be exempted, but nice try!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:59 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData
If you have a job you have to pay federal income tax!

I know people that only make 18,000 per year; they still have to pay federal income tax!

People that are paid minimum wage must pay federal income tax!

A childless adult working full time at minimum wage pays at least $500/yr in federal income tax. Are you in denial?
Denial about what? Someone throwing around numbers without any data to back it up? Is it possible to see where you derived this particular claim?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:00 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Default Repost - 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Let's talk "FAIR SHARE" for a moment.
How can anyone logically argue for the rich to "pay their fair share" of federal income taxes when in fact 47% of American's pay ZERO federal income taxes?
Does this percentage include millionaires that fall in that category? I must because of this statement of yours accusing others of class warfare...

Quote:
How is it "FAIR" that millions of a American's pay ZERO in light of the current class warfare schtick being pushed by the Left?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:02 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Does this percentage include millionaires that fall in that category? I must because of this statement of yours accusing others of class warfare...
Can you show me where there are millionaires paying zero federal income taxes on their earned income? If you're attempting to deflect to capital gains and investments, save it or start your own thread.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:03 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,201,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
WIC, section 8, foodstamps, and medicaid are all expensive and would amount to receiving more services than someone on medicare. Can you back up your claim?

US Federal Budget FY13 Spending Breakdown - Charts

Medicare- 484 billion (this is above and beyond the contributions of the FSMI trust fund, the actual spending is nearly 270 billion more)
SS- 778 billion (actual spending is about 200 billion more without contributions from the trust fund)
Pensions for Federal employees (not military veterans)- 127 billion

Medicaid- 255.3 billion
Food Stamps- 113.5 billion
Section 8- 18.2 billion
TANF- 16.5 billion
Negative income tax payments- 75 billion

(notice the two things people ***** about the most, cash welfare payments and section 8, dont even come to 1/3 of what we spend on retired federal employees a year, even if you add in food stamps, it just barely surpasses retired federal employees)

So, lets see, our yearly spending on old people comes to

1.959 trillion

Our yearly spending on people with low incomes?

478.5 billion (which is less then we spend in medicare ALONE, even AFTER the trust fund contributions)

We spend 160 billion a month on old people. At that rate, old people would have spent the entire amount we spend on poor people in 2.99 months.

Again, if you want to know who is sucking out all "your tax dollars" and you dont want to blame the DoD, instead of blaming "welfare queens", you can turn your head towards Granny Beatrice, because her never ending quest to stay alive 3 more weeks is costing us a fortune.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:04 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,201,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMH2507 View Post
I believe that minimum wage burger flipper if that is his only job would be in the 15% in poverty which I said should be exempted, but nice try!

Actually, he would likely be slightly above poverty, but still unable to afford income tax.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:04 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Which amounts to 70% of all Federal taxes that are paid. Keep deflecting...
The top 10% of earners (those earning $113,799 or more) paid 69.94% of federal taxes and earned 45.77% of AGI. As said, those numbers come down significantly when state and local taxes, which are highly regressive, are added.

Note that the bottom 50% of taxpayers only earn 12.75% of national income -- this is the group the GOP wants to skin.

source

Old 04-19-2012, 10:06 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Can you show me where there are millionaires paying zero federal income taxes on their earned income? If you're attempting to deflect to capital gains and investments, save it or start your own thread.
My guess was right (as it was the last time, I'd responded to an identical thread... and will be, when I respond to the next one not too long after this one). You heard it, and you quoted it. Anyway, without much ado...

Baseline Distribution of Tax Units with No Income Tax Liability

So, were you fixated on a specific class of wage earners, or ALL of them?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:07 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
It's in the link I already posted which you obviously never read, and nice use of "earned income". How many millionaires have all their assets in earned income?

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/Uploa...income_tax.pdf

Old 04-19-2012, 10:09 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
If they pay rent they are paying steep regulatory taxes and property taxes which are often unfair. In Michigan, the school tax rate on rental property is four times the school tax rate on owner-occupied homes. How is that fair?
So....when does a renter make his check out to the local school district? Or is it perchance the landlord that does so? If so, why should other property owners, particularly the working poor or those on fixed incomes, be expected to subsidise wealthy business owners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies