Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 01:09 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
BZZT! You lose also, thanks for playing! (This is fun!)

$15080 > $13980

Preview of 2012 EITC Income Limits, Maximum Credit Amounts and Tax Law Updates

Preview of 2012 Tax Year

Earned Income and adjusted gross income (AGI) must each be less than:
  • $45,060 ($50,270 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children
  • $41,952 ($47,162 married filing jointly) with two qualifying children
  • $36,920 ($42,130 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child
  • $13,980 ($19,190 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children
Ummm...in your example you used a taxable income of around $15K with an after tax income of around $5K. How did you forget that considering you used the example of a burger flipper who took the standard deductions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
2012 Tax Brackets and Federal IRS Rates, Standard Deduction and Personal Exemptions | Saving to Inve$t

Minimum wage = $7.25/hr * 2080 hrs = $15080

Standard deduction = $5,800

Personal exemption = $3,800

($15080 - $5800 - $3800) = $5480

$5480 taxable income * 10% federal income tax rate = $548 federal income tax.
According to my calculator, that's less than all of the EITC numbers you posted above. Your example is a PRIME candidate for the EITC credit.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
That's not your point. The quote below is your point.

You phrased this thread title in the hopes of drumming up the class warfare you purport to despise so.

And - there are people not paying federal income tax that are taking legitimate business deductions that are hardly "getting a free ride".

You know that business people operating at a loss or reduced income while building their business pay very little tax because their incomes are so low. You know, so their businesses don't tank in the fragile first years of operation because of a high tax burden.

Are you saying you'd rather they pay the government than grow their business? Are you not for free enterprise, and the advancement of small business in this country?

You never took advantage of the tax code while you were starting out with your business? You do own a company, right?
Oh my goodness. You took a one liner response to a tongue in cheek post by joebald (instead of the OP) to derive the basis for your interpretation of the OP (instead of the actual OP)?

I probably shouldn't have responded to a tongue-in-cheek post without caveating it since people like you seize on it with pure deflection, but I do expect you to be a little more thought provoking than to take that one-liner and casting it as the basis of the OP. That's your fallacy, which is why you don't understand my position.

But, hey, if you insist, i'll address the comment. If 47% of people are indeed not paying federal income taxes, then they are in fact getting a "free ride." How can they NOT be getting a free ride when none of their taxable federal income is being taxed and used on the services that they consume? Happy now? You should be, because my logic is sound.

The OP....focus on it. That's my position.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 04-19-2012 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-19-2012, 01:22 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
It isn't fair - just as it isn't fair for the rich to pay about half the rates of upper middle class wage earners like me. There should be fairness across the tax spectrum.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:25 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Oh my goodness. You took a one liner response to a tongue in cheek post by joebald (instead of the OP) to derive the basis for your interpretation of the OP (instead of the actual OP)?

I probably shouldn't have responded to a tongue-in-cheek post without caveating it, but I do expect you to be a litte more thought provoking than to take that one-liner and casting it as the basis of the OP. That's your fallacy, which is why you don't understand my position.

The OP....focus on it. That's my position.
Hilarious! These are important questions that you will never answer, and definitely weaken your position on this subject.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Hilarious! These are important questions that you will never answer, and definitely weaken your position on this subject.
What's hilarious? What questions will weaken my position. Feel free to lay them out in a way that you feel weakens the OP.

Sole propietorships are 100% irrelevant. Hell, even the tax code is 100% irrelevant to the discussion. This is about PRINCIPLE. That's what you folks don't get. We can delve into the minutiae of the tax code all day long and talk about who should or shouldn't get what and how it should be revised, but the underlying point is that one segment of society is being singled out while another is not.

Are you sure you understand? You and Finster are both in the same boat as it stands right now.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:31 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:

That's your fallacy, which is why you don't understand my position.
No, I took into account your posting history, and I think your position is pretty clear.

Don't you own a business? Surely at some point during the startup process you didn't earn a sizable income for the year and your CPA made sure you didn't have to pay any personal FIT, right?

You do also understand that a lot of people who don't pay any PERSONAL federal income tax do pay corporate tax instead? So they actually are paying taxes, just not income tax?

Or do you think people that take the risk putting everything they have and all their effort and ingenuity into a business startup should pay tax twice?

Of course you understand that some of the 47% of Americans that don't pay Federal Income Tax contribute plenty and aren't getting a free ride by any means.

You do understand that once they stop operating at a loss they'll contribute plenty?

You weren't trying to infer that everyone who makes up this 47% are some kind of "recipient class", were you?

Old 04-19-2012, 01:32 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Ummm...in your example you used a taxable income of around $15K with an after tax income of around $5K. How did you forget that considering you used the example of a burger flipper who took the standard deductions?

According to my calculator, that's less than all of the EITC numbers you posted above. Your example is a PRIME candidate for the EITC credit.
$15080 > $13980

Reading Is Fundamental!!!!!

*****Earned Income***** and adjusted gross income (AGI) must each be less than:
  • $45,060 ($50,270 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children
  • $41,952 ($47,162 married filing jointly) with two qualifying children
  • $36,920 ($42,130 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child
  • $13,980 ($19,190 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children

Old 04-19-2012, 01:33 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,347 times
It's FAIR because they're NOT SUPPOSED TO PAY INCOME TAXES. The income tax was NEVER intended to be something that everybody pays. It was intended that only the rich pay. In fact if you wanted to argue that too many are paying income taxes then you might have an argument

Old 04-19-2012, 01:34 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
The whole claim has been refuted by the Center for Taxes and Budget Priorities.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:35 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,347 times
In 1913, the first year of the income tax, it wasn't 47% that didn't pay any income tax. It was 96%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies