Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 04:11 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Your links prove NOTHING relative to your assertion that, of the 47% of those people who pay no Federal Income taxes, a large swath are those who are sole proprietors.

You realize that right? We can have 47 trillion sole proprietors, but that doesn't mean they're not paying federal income taxes.

Just as I thought....you brought a strawman argument to the table that you couldn't back up. You ASSUME these people are paying no FIT's, but you have no data to substaniate it. I won't waste anymore of my time with this argument.
Dude, if you don't understand that the majority of small business operates at a loss for the first couple of years due to the expense of capitalization, and that as a result the owner doesn't earn any income, therefore not paying any INCOME taxes - then I can't help you.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
1. Those people "drawing SS" are collectively drawing more then they ever put in, even factoring in a reasonable rate of return. They are living way longer then the system ever intended.

2. Because they are living way longer, their medical bills have already destroyed medicare, and that system is hemorraging money.

3. The DoD is providing a vital service? Like what? World Policeman? By the way, I seriously doubt that paying $26 per case of soda is serving any "vital service" other then to the owners of huge no bid defense contractors

4. "Welfare Queens" are providing as much service as a 92 year old chewing 25k dollars worth of medication a year while sitting in a chair, stairing at a wall and drooling on himself. Only difference is that the Welfare Queen will eventually exhaust her lifetime benefits. The 92 year old is the gift that just keeps giving.
This is the way I look at it:

The 92 year old who had the nerve to live longer than you'd like is not capable of getting up and going to work every day to support himself. The welfare queen is more often than not on public assistance because they are too stupid to support themselves or have made bad life decisions along the way. The 92 year old pays income taxes on their SSI. How about the welfare queen? What do you propose we do with the 92 year old? Kill him off? I propose we cut off the able bodied welfare queen and get their sorry ass off to work. The DoD is providing a vital service. It's called defense.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:56 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
In 1913, the first year of the income tax, it wasn't 47% that didn't pay any income tax. It was 96%
The U.S. also had the 20th largest military; there was no interstate highways; had no food inspection system; had no worker protections; had no system to prevent industry from polluting at will, etc. -- essentially, did very little more than run the Post Office.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:09 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
Quote:
So far, no one has put forth a logical attempt. All we've gotten so far is deflection and obfuscation. No one wants to admit that it's not logical to argue for the rich to "pay their fair share" when in fact 47% of American's aren't paying ANY federal income taxes.

The class warfare schtick pushed by the Left falls flat on its face once again.
Why does it have to be one or the other? The 47% should pay more, and the rich should probably pay more, too. Not sure why it should just be guys like me getting the heaviest proportional burden.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:28 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Dude, if you don't understand that the majority of small business operates at a loss for the first couple of years due to the expense of capitalization, and that as a result the owner doesn't earn any income, therefore not paying any INCOME taxes - then I can't help you.
You can't help me because your argument is an unsubstantied strawman. According to you, you'd have us all believe that the "47%" are a bunch of hardworking business people sweating it out making no money for the betterment of America. Although your point is 100% irrelevant to the OP, I still gave you the benefit of the doubt and asked you to put forth evidence of your claims, of which you could not do.

No one, including me, is saying that none of these sole proprietors exist. I"m saying that you don't have the data to make the grand argument that you've made that these people make up a large swath of the 47% of American's who don't pay Federal Income Taxes. That makes it a strawman argument that works only in your mind. It doesn't do anything to debunk the OP. Not in the slightest.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Why does it have to be one or the other? The 47% should pay more, and the rich should probably pay more, too. Not sure why it should just be guys like me getting the heaviest proportional burden.
At least you're objective. Your liberal colleagues, on the other hand, aren't. They've made every excuse in the book to challenge the assertion that it's "fair" for the rich to pay more while completely ignoring the other 47% who don't pay any FITs. I give you credit for your objecitivity.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I think everyone should have skin in the game no matter how small.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,098 times
Quote:
Let's talk "FAIR SHARE" for a moment.

How can anyone logically argue for the rich to "pay their fair share" of federal income taxes when in fact 47% of American's pay ZERO federal income taxes?

Yes, most people pay payroll taxes (Social Security, Medicare, etc). Those monies go to fund specific priorities, so there's no need for the obtuse to come forth and deflect. We're talking Federal INCOME taxes.....the money that goes to fund the public goods and services that we American's consume.

How is it "FAIR" that millions of a American's pay ZERO in light of the current class warfare schtick being pushed by the Left?

Where's the "fairness?"
The only people puppeting 'class warfare' are those on the right. That's a talking point from the people who give you your opinion.

We should raise the taxes on half of America, is that what you're saying? Raise taxes. You, the right winger, want to raise taxes on almost half of the country.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:54 PM

867 posts, read 498,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroguydc View Post
let's talk "fair share" for a moment.

How can anyone logically argue for the rich to "pay their fair share" of federal income taxes when in fact 47% of american's pay zero federal income taxes?

Yes, most people pay payroll taxes (social security, medicare, etc). Those monies go to fund specific priorities, so there's no need for the obtuse to come forth and deflect. We're talking federal income taxes.....the money that goes to fund the public goods and services that we american's consume.

How is it "fair" that millions of a american's pay zero in light of the current class warfare schtick being pushed by the left?

Where's the "fairness?"
awol

Old 04-19-2012, 10:55 PM

867 posts, read 498,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
The only people puppeting 'class warfare' are those on the right. That's a talking point from the people who give you your opinion.

We should raise the taxes on half of America, is that what you're saying? Raise taxes. You, the right winger, want to raise taxes on almost half of the country.
Just end the tax credit that pays their tax for them and leaves everyone else holding their bag, and I don't have to tell you what that bag is full of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies