Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:38 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Advertisements

110 Million US Households
99 Million US Households with cable, satellite or both
90 Million US Households with internet service
47 Million US Households receive Food Stamp benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Is means testing a good idea or a bad idea?
You tell me.

Do you want me to do the math for you, or can you handle 5th Grade Addition/Subtraction?

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
This is defiantly a terrible idea. Anyone with less then $2,000.00 in the bank on public assistance is virtually on the verge of being homeless especially seniors not being allowed to have more than $3250.00.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I think limits on money in the bank clearly show whom they’re aiming this towards. No need to read between the lines because it’s spelled out. It’s their attempt to punish the most vulnerable in our society.
The most vulnerable?

So, who's the most vulnerable?

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
The policy actually encourages wasteful spending by the poor.

Yeah, apparently wasted on cable, satellite or both.

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I propose what one might call a Dave Ramsey means test.

He recommends a "fully funded" emergency fund of 3-6 months of personal expenses (for those starting out or unable to save up this sum he suggests at least $1000).

So I think 3 months of basic living expenses is not unreasonable and almost certainly would be greater than $2000.
Uh, the Dave Ramsey "means test?

That is what America did, especially Middle Class America, before Middle Class America became the Stupid Class.

Hell, my great-grandparents were doing that before Ramsey was ever born. I was telling my troops that in the '80s and '90s.

Doesn't take MBA to figure that out.

Being financially sound...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
We should means test SS and Medicare as well.
Should?

You will.

You don't really have much choice, but then I'm just assuming people actually want Social Security and Medicare.

Means-testing...

Mircea

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-23-2012 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: name calling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 10:46 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,026,497 times
I wonder if there's any provision for pending expenses. I will concede that a hard-and-fast limit of $2000 current cash balance may not be a very fair standard in some circumstances. I certainly think $2000 after deducting any liabilities due in the next 30 days from the current balance would be more than fair.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:07 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
I barely work above minimum wage yet I have 6 accounts with taxable amounts.

$2000 is $2000 too much.

How much is too much for someone at poverty level? What if they have to move through no fault of their own? What happens then?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:18 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
I wonder if there's any provision for pending expenses. I will concede that a hard-and-fast limit of $2000 current cash balance may not be a very fair standard in some circumstances. I certainly think $2000 after deducting any liabilities due in the next 30 days from the current balance would be more than fair.

The only expenses considered are housing (there is a standard allowance for utilities which might be higher or lower than what your actual utilities cost if you share housing and don't have utility bills in your name).

It's based on historical expenses you bring in bank account statements, pay stubs etc and relevant documents (lease, medical receipts). Nothing which might happen in the future - e.g. a rent increase or an involuntary move - is considered. You're required to report income increases and go through all this again in 12 months if you're still on the program.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:22 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Means testing for food stamps may return

The Pennsylvania Welfare Department on May 1 could resume enforcing a means test on food stamp applicants to reduce fraud. The asset test doesn't effect any other entitlements - only food stamps.

"The asset test was in place and was lifted by the prior administration in 2008," Miller said. "It is simply being put back in place."

Anyone with $2,000 or more in the bank or people who have a second car valued at more than $4,650 would no longer be eligible for the benefits. For those over 60 the limit is $3250. Houses and retirement benefits are exempt from counting as an asset, as is one car.

( Keep in mind that many people who don't qualify for food stamps in America have a very hard time maintaining a $2,000 savings account. )

Is means testing a good idea or a bad idea?
Not a bad idea but easily gotten around. All they have to do is put the title of any other cars into the name of others (do remember that a car being paid for is not owned by the person but is owned by the person holding the title, the bank or other lending institution) and withdraw their money from the bank, so while a step in the right direction it won't work.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:40 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
My wife works in a food stamp office, and the stories she has every day will curl your hair.

People living in $400k homes with $2500 mortgages, BMWs, and kids in private school getting food stamps. Hippy panhandlers doing "funemployment" with food stamps and checks from the parents. I defend the principle of food stamps, but fraud is rampant right now. At least here in Oregon. I thnk means testing is a good idea, though the standards should be debated.

I agree that $2000 in the bank is not a lot, but I don't have all that much more myself! The question I wonder about would be how many people have $5k in the bank without blowing it on bling, I-Pods, mountain bikes, etc.,etc.,etc.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Actually, all that tell us is that someone is pretty foolish with their resources. Someone with a net worth of $200 at any income level has been making terrible financial choices. If you are spending 100% of your middle class income on your "toys" you are irresponsible and nobody should be feeling sorry for you.

I never earned more than a middle class income, the wife and I can count on one hand the years either of us earned a six figure income. But because we never spent more than we earned we now have more than 90% of Americans and were able to retire in our 50's. Jersey Girl, you're making some really bad choices.

Yet you still insist the taxpayers house your own mother.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:39 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Okay, say someone is getting food stamps and they're not allowed to have savings until they get off food stamps and support themselves.

Now let's say Mr/Ms Food Stamps has to unexpectedly more through no fault of their own (I rented a room in a house that was foreclosed; everyone had to move).

What happens or should happen then?
They keep 2 grand in a safe in their home, just like most people do.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:56 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Yet you still insist the taxpayers house your own mother.
????? What the ____ you talking about?

Old 04-23-2012, 04:36 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Stupid. Income and wealth are independent of each other.

We should encourage poor people to build wealth. This does nothing but keep them poor. And dependent on the government. Break the cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies