Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:55 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You want to eliminate teachers unions because of this one incident?
How many unionized teachers do you suppose populate the USA? and if you eliminate the teachers Unions what do you suppose they will be paid as a consequence?Somehow i dont think you'll attract quality educators if all they can look forward to earning is minimum wage with no benefits..
Not just one incident. What about the scores of teachers that called in sick in WI, so they could protest cuts to their bennies? Again, union over kids. All the teachers being paid to NOT work, but still collecting salaries because they committed fire-able offenses, but can't be fired.

Why would you assume teachers would be paid less? And if you make that assumption, isn't that admitting they are overpaid now, because of unions? Pay is determined by the market. Unions skew that market. Private schools make good money and get benefits. But they're held accountable, so I can see where a lot union teachers wouldn't want THAT hanging over their head.

As for attracting quality educators, I'd guess that MORE quality educators would get back into teaching. Nothing discourages a good employee more than seeing crappy co-workers getting rewarded exactly the same as good workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Yes, let's just disband an entire institution because you can't control your logic and emotions. Makes total sense.

Let's also disband the entire government because they do bad things.
Now you're talking. Not disband completely, but our entire government needs to be much smaller.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Why do so many of you stress yourself out about the Teachers union? Seriously whether you agree with the union or not, unless you are a total idiot you have to lay the problems with our public schools at the feet of the parents who don't care. 99% of the blame goes to them.
Wrong. In the case of this autistic kid, 100% of the blame goes to the school. Thank goodness the parent was 100% caring.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:20 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yes, teachers unions need to go. Cost of education is up, and Johnny still can't read. Time for them to go.
This is pretty much the bottom line...

It's a combination of an apathetic public school system and apathetic parents...But the state has the control to fix one of the two.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:18 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Teachers caught on tape bullying special-needs girl - Parenting & Family - TODAY.com

Old 04-27-2012, 01:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
No, I'm not a teacher...But I've went to public school for 12 years.

And I have children who are in public school...

My father was a HS teacher for 30 years.

My best friend teaches at a public HS in Newark, NJ. So not only do I have a very thorough understanding of the job but I also have a very thorough understanding of the dynamics of the job from one demographic to another.

The system is broken.
"I've went"?
Your dad didn't teach English or debate, I hope.
So, anecdote now equals data?
And all you've presented is anecdote and opinion.

What do you have against education?

Apparently your dad and best friend shouldn't be represented either.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:04 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Being a teacher isn't the problem. Unions are the problem. If you can't be a good teacher without defending the union, you ain't no teacher!
"ain't"?
What's wrong with representation?

Do you have any real argument? Other than your opinion, that is.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:14 PM

161 posts, read 240,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Wrong. In the case of this autistic kid, 100% of the blame goes to the school. Thank goodness the parent was 100% caring.
Where in the audio tape does the teacher abuse the student? I'm not talking about the para, she's not a certified teacher.

I've listened to the audio about the IEP meeting and I don't hear how they are trying to sabotage the meeting. If you give the time range on the audio I can go back and listen.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:18 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
He claims the teacher made some of the comments and he knows her voice. But I don't even see why it matters. She is the teacher, she has the license. If her assistants were treating this kid like that then she is just as much to blame, even if she didn't make any of the comments.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:52 PM

161 posts, read 240,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
He claims the teacher made some of the comments and he knows her voice. But I don't even see why it matters. She is the teacher, she has the license. If her assistants were treating this kid like that then she is just as much to blame, even if she didn't make any of the comments.
..her assistants... teacher's fault??

That's the jump I don't agree with. Principals certainly aren't fired for the actions of their teachers. I've see co-workers fired for inappropriate comments but never their supervisor.

If the audio proves that the teacher was negligent/participated then by all means she deserves the boot. If the evidence is strong she can get fired union or no union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies