Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:33 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
The more people they put into prisons ( including children )
the more money is to be made for the companies running the prison.

Less prisoners they go broke.
Well there is no lack of evidence that the private prison industry has been at the forefront of promoting minimum maximum sentencing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 12:36 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
You may have been born in the wrong century. Not to mention the fact that the 8th amendment did away with beating prisoners. Maybe you would be more at home in Saudia Arabia. I hear they do that over there. Of course being Jewish, you may end up on the wrong end of the stick. Pun intended.
I would support overturning the 8th amendment. Violent criminals made their decision to kill or physically harm their victim. They didn't have to do it but they insisted on it. It's only fair and just that the criminal get's equal or worse punishment than what they gave their victim.

The Saudi Arabia analogy is weak. If they would put me "on the wrong side of the stick" they would be punishing/killing an innocent man who never harmed a fly. I only want punishment for those who physically harmed their fellow man.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:37 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I would support overturning the 8th amendment. Violent criminals made their decision to kill or physically harm their victim. They didn't have to do it but they insisted on it. It's only fair and just that the criminal get's equal or worse punishment than what they gave their victim.

The Saudi Arabia analogy is weak. If they would put me "on the wrong side of the stick" they would be punishing/killing an innocent man who never harmed a fly. I only want punishment for those who physically harmed their fellow man.

Sure. Eye for an eye. I get it.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
OP - Wg=hat is the point? The point is to make money for the prison owners.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:40 PM

573 posts, read 971,014 times
You know, we should look at the root causes of crime rather then trying to treat the symptoms.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:44 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post

So you are for state sponsored torture. I get it. Our founders saw how that worked in England, which is why we have the 8th amendment. Like I said there are some great Muslim countries that feel the way that you do.

You do understand that there a good many prisoners who are simply crazy, but since you seem to be working out of the old testament, maybe we should just exorcise their demons before we torture them.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:58 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
20% of the population commit 80% of the crimes. That's the general rule. Sometimes you will see two different races with the same crime and differing sentences. There are all sorts of factors that go into sentencing. If one has a harsher sentence for the same crime it's usually because they have a long rap sheet and have already gone through external alternative programs. The lighter sentence may be their first time and that person lives in a different county.
I worked in corrections for a long time and saw people from one county get chance after chance, yet someone from a different county get one shot at an alternative and the next time they are locked up.

Some problems I've seen are that in prison/jail, many people have better living conditions than on the street. They have access to health care, recreation programs, cable tv, education, trades, etc. Prison is no longer punitive.
That said, our criminal prosecuting of simple possession is not helping the inmate population. We do need to legalize some drugs and decriminalize. That will free up a lot of room. Then it needs to be a place of punishment. I don't mean physical beating either.
Without drug offenders, true criminals will be in there. I must say that selling drugs to minors should still be a crime.
True criminals need a punitive environment to rehabilitate themselves. No more cable tv, rec programs, college courses, and the like. You offer simply good, a yard to walk/exercise in, a place to worship, and GED classes IF the inmate wants to get it and if they will be released.
Obviously there will be health care, but nothing crazy like there is now for them. Meals should be basic. Not starvation, just basic nutrition.
Just my two cents from someone that worked in it.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:05 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well there is no lack of evidence that the private prison industry has been at the forefront of promoting minimum maximum sentencing.
No, just the opposite. There appears to be evidence of judges handing out long sentences for minor crimes, expediting Americans into these jails who normally would have walked home instead. In which many have been released.

What is with for-profit prison stock being traded on Wall Street? Man, that does not sound right what so ever.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:11 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The local jail....bigger or smaller....is not the problem. The problem is that there aren't enough prisons to put criminals in pre-trial or post trial. I agree that we don't need bigger jails....we need more prisons. A jail should be a transient control point. Once a person is charged with a crime, cart them off to prison to wait for court appearances. Give them the taste of what they can look forward to pending the outcome of their trial.
You are assuming that all people charged with a crime are guilty of that crime. How would you like to be some prisoners rape victim because of mistaken identity?

Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
You are assuming that all people charged with a crime are guilty of that crime. How would you like to be some prisoners rape victim because of mistaken identity?
That probably never crossed his mind. If you are charged with a crime you must be guilty...oh wait, innocent until proven guilty, where have I head that before.

A lot of criminal cases are dismissed after they have been charged because the case is to weak to prosecute or the person is found to be innocent. Lets send those innocent dudes down to prison to be raped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies