Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 06:17 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,402,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Cool deflection bro

You asked about conflicts.

Next time do your homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 06:21 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,976,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And Conservative Christians always cherry pick the Old Testament. It's funny how people like you cry "Jesus destroyed the law, we don't have to follow it!" and in the very next breath you pull Leviticus 18:20 out of context to demonize gay people.
Yeah, that always gets me too!! Their favorite anti-gay passages usually come from the Hebrew Bible (I won't call it the "Old Testament," sorry), but if you use another original passage as rebuttal they whine "I'm a Christian, so I don't have to follow Hebraic/Abrahamic laws!" Okay, then stop using and distorting our Bible to justify your hate, and stick to the one with Jesus. Deal??

8,299 posts, read 8,612,226 times
Wel if the people who were offended by the mention of the Bible had already left the room, and then Savage called their actions "pansy-assed," I don't call that bullying. It's certainly rude, but not bullying.

Most of those who were offended started leaving when Savage said something along the lines of there's plenty of shi* in the Bible that Christians ignore and don't have a problem ignoring. Simple statement of fact that some people took offense too. By the time the time he made the comment about the "pansy-assed" actions of those that left, those who were offended were gone. Not sure that can constitute bullying. Certainly rude. But even with online bullying, you'd have to be part of the potential audience to be bullied, and that wasn't the case here.

38,647 posts, read 26,402,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
And that's why the founders of this country were smart enough to realize that judges should be appointed and not elected; unfortunately some states were not so cleaver. The judiciary should not be a political branch of government.

It would seem that's Iowa's business?

Old 04-29-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
So what your saying is calling someone names is not bullying? and being there freely by your choice and not being captive in attendance means it is not bullying? so then you can't call it bullying if it's on a phone or the internet because it's only names and your free to turn either one off or leave the site. I agree with you in that case.
Nice try, but you know these aren't valid comparisons... unless Dan Savage was continuously calling them, posting on their Facebook, writing nasty things about them on other sites/pages, etc. You can hardly compare a cyber-bullying incident, which is usually ongoing and specifically targeting an individual, to some journalist making a speech that made a few Christians get all butt hurt and walk away. Did he follow them? Don't think so.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,111,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
So what your saying is calling someone names is not bullying?
Name calling can be a weapon of a bully. However, in this case it's not - not by a mile.

Quote:
and being there freely by your choice and not being captive in attendance means it is not bullying?
Yes.

Quote:
so then you can't call it bullying if it's on a phone or the internet because it's only names and your free to turn either one off or leave the site. I agree with you in that case.
No, you can in fact be cyber-bullied. However, simply calling somebody a name over the internet is not bullying (just like Savage referring to the departing students as "pansy-asses" is not bullying). If what you're asking were the case, then I'm the victim of extensive bullying here on city-data. I can't count the number of times I've been called a *******, or a sinner, or a sodomite, a Nancy, Mary, referred to as "she," etc, etc, etc.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
And wouldn't it have been great if the would-be journalists who left the auditorium had stayed and written that story. But since they left because of critique of the Bible by a Catholic, they forfeited their ability to respond to what he said because they weren't in the room when he said it.
Good point! And if they're really interested in becoming journalists, they'd better get used to hearing dissenting (and occasionally offensive) opinions on different matters. Or will they storm out of every press conference where a bad/questionable word is uttered?

Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,394,100 times
Hmm...

I only watched the first video, but I don't think anything he said was wrong. What's more, I don't think it was the wrong place or time...

Old 04-29-2012, 06:53 PM

33,587 posts, read 18,183,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, that always gets me too!! Their favorite anti-gay passages usually come from the Hebrew Bible (I won't call it the "Old Testament," sorry), but if you use another original passage as rebuttal they whine "I'm a Christian, so I don't have to follow Hebraic/Abrahamic laws!" Okay, then stop using and distorting our Bible to justify your hate, and stick to the one with Jesus. Deal??
The bible did not say Jesus destroyed the law , he came to fulfill the law. We are to give grace for the remission of sins.. which is repenting of the sin. It does not say it is no longer sin. It remains sin always and Jesus died for the remission of sin to become a child of God and follow Jesus through the Holy Spirit and the word of God. We become overcomers of sin through Jesus Christ.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 PM

33,587 posts, read 18,183,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Wel if the people who were offended by the mention of the Bible had already left the room, and then Savage called their actions "pansy-assed," I don't call that bullying. It's certainly rude, but not bullying.

Most of those who were offended started leaving when Savage said something along the lines of there's plenty of shi* in the Bible that Christians ignore and don't have a problem ignoring. Simple statement of fact that some people took offense too. By the time the time he made the comment about the "pansy-assed" actions of those that left, those who were offended were gone. Not sure that can constitute bullying. Certainly rude. But even with online bullying, you'd have to be part of the potential audience to be bullied, and that wasn't the case here.
The man has no credence because he dislikes Christians and the word of God. He does not agree that God himself declared homosexuality as being an abomination . He has declared himself to be higher than God . And we know who did that in the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies