Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 12:41 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,644,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
He did. And he then apologized for doing so:

On "Bull****" and "Pansy-Assed" | Slog
"I would like to apologize for describing that walk out as a pansy-assed move. I wasn't calling the handful of students who left pansies (2800+ students, most of them Christian, stayed and listened), just the walk-out itself. But that's a distinction without a difference—kinda like when religious conservatives tells their gay friends that they "love the sinner, hate the sin." They're often shocked when their gay friends get upset because, hey, they were making a distinction between the person (lovable!) and the person's actions (not so much!). But gay people feel insulted by "love the sinner, hate the sin" because it is insulting. Likewise, my use of "pansy-assed" was insulting, it was name-calling, and it was wrong. And I apologize for saying it."
Apparently, he has a long history of saying incredibly outrageous, hateful, disgusting remarks and then later apologizing or retracting his remarks. I don't think this man, who appears full of hate and with poor impulse control/judgment should be involved with guiding/teaching children or serving as a role model. And the question remains as to why he has received so much endorsement, including from the White House, in the first place?

"Back in July 2011, we covered his comments that monogamy holds the potential to destroy “more families than it saves.” Around the same time, he said of Republicans, ”I wish they were all f**king dead,“ during an appearance on ”Real Time With Bill Maher.”

"Shapiro also dug up some of the other controversial statements that Savage made — and highly documented – before the Obama administration became cozy with his organization:"

"During 2009, Savage tried to coin the term “Saddlebacking” in order to target pro-Proposition 8 Saddleback Church Pastor Rick Warren; he defined the term as “the phenomenon of Christian teens engaging in unprotected anal sex in order to preserve their virginities.”

Dan Savage Has Long History of Rhetoric & White House Ties | It Gets Better | Video | TheBlaze.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 12:56 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,910,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
I don't think this man, who appears full of hate and with poor impulse control/judgment should be involved with guiding/teaching children or serving as a role model. And the question remains as to why he has received so much endorsement, including from the White House, in the first place?
You are certainly entitled to that opinion. I disagree with the attributions you are making about him, but I can understand how you could find his provocative social commentary offensive. My understanding is that It Gets Better Project is what is being endorsed - do you have familiarity with the organization, aside from what you've seen in the media this week?

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 04-30-2012 at 01:09 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 PM

17,403 posts, read 12,009,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
The very point he was making? That if we can ignore so much of what else is written in the Christian Bible, we can ignore what it says about homosexuality?

One, I'm sure very few people would consider me a liberal. And two, no, if he were trying to be cruel, he would've said plenty more about Christians in general and those who walked out on him (He had the support of a still-rather large crowd, after all). Bullies don't just stop insulting/attacking when they have a group of people cheering them on; they only kick it up a notch!

Well, nothing is needed to be accused. But people do not generally call someone else a bully if their offenses are in retaliation and of much less severity than those of the original offender's, which these were (and I told you how).

I really don't care to get sucked into a non-debate over whether he was being a bully or bully-like, however, so I will leave you with the last word on that. I think eastwesteastagain made one of the greater points when they said that repetition is an essential aspect of the definition.
Does this man not REPEATEDLY bash Christians?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:18 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,910,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Ok, I'll bite. No. He repeatedly "bashes" a subset of Christians who use their church's literal (and often selective) interpretation of the Bible to justify bullying LGBT people. Not all Christians. Not all Christians who follow a literal interpretation of the Bible. Not even all Christians who follow a literal selective interpretation of the Bible. Not even all Christians who follow a literal selective interpretation of the Bible and who believe that homosexuality is morally wrong. Just those who do so to justify their own bullying behaviors.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:20 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,335,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
I wouldn't expect you to read for accuracy, but notice that I said "a major reason," not "the only reason."

Oh yes, KU, we know you love to defend bullying. I actually started to laugh when I read the OP's post, as I wondered how you would adapt you "Turn Off the Damn Computer" motto.

Puts hair on their chests, right! They should be thankful for being bullied!!
Back in the early 1940s I fought bullies and they backed down on me, at least.

In the late 1980s my son who I had told not to fight unless some bully did something to him that could cause serious bodily harm and if that happened to take them out. He took one of the worst bullies in the school to task, physically, and was never bullied by that kid again. He had to take the same one on a few times for what he did to his friends and it always worked very well toward stopping him.

My brother, a short little strong man, wore a brace on his one leg for 8 years and anytime bullies came at him he made them wish they hadn't. He one time picked up one of them up over his head and walked out from under him. That bully never tried to use his tactics on the friend he had bullied that day.

Yep, the best treatment for a bully is a fist up aside the head and other places if he keeps on coming. They sometimes win the fight but they usually don't come back. Of course, superior numbers among kids cause the bullied to back down and I don't blame them.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:25 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,403,951 times
Quote:
Maybe. I'd have to see for myself. But this wasn't bashing Christians, or even Christianity. It was bashing anti-homosexual mentality, which has been the cause of harm much more evil than "bashing" or "bullying". So yet again, a justified retaliation, say I.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:05 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,592,719 times
Hmm, the more press this gets, the more it would appear that these student "protesters" had co-ordinated this walk-out beforehand, and were just waiting for the right opportunity. It's just way too coincidental.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,750,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Apparently, he has a long history of saying incredibly outrageous, hateful, disgusting remarks and then later apologizing or retracting his remarks. I don't think this man, who appears full of hate and with poor impulse control/judgment should be involved with guiding/teaching children or serving as a role model. And the question remains as to why he has received so much endorsement, including from the White House, in the first place?

"Back in July 2011, we covered his comments that monogamy holds the potential to destroy “more families than it saves.” Around the same time, he said of Republicans, ”I wish they were all f**king dead,“ during an appearance on ”Real Time With Bill Maher.”

"Shapiro also dug up some of the other controversial statements that Savage made — and highly documented – before the Obama administration became cozy with his organization:"

"During 2009, Savage tried to coin the term “Saddlebacking” in order to target pro-Proposition 8 Saddleback Church Pastor Rick Warren; he defined the term as “the phenomenon of Christian teens engaging in unprotected anal sex in order to preserve their virginities.”

Dan Savage Has Long History of Rhetoric & White House Ties | It Gets Better | Video | TheBlaze.com

Right.
So, given this pattern of behavior, would there have been any reason to expect anything different at this event?
Probably not.

IMHO, Dan Savage has single-handedly done more to advance the cause of gay youth than anyone else in this country. He has spoken out for those who have been kicked out of their homes and forced to live on the street at the mercy of God knows what.
This is what REAL Christians do - they protect those unable to defend themselves. They don't put their hands over their ears and cry 'la,la,la' and run away, a la the cowards at this event, when they hear something they don't want to hear. Did Jesus turn away from the lepers?

The quotes you find so appalling, particularly the last, point to the utter hypocrisy of many Christians with regard to (teen) sexuality and I thank God that someone is brave enough to call attention to the dangers of fetishizing virginity and all the rest.
It should make people uncomfortable to hear these truths and it should make people uncomfortable to have a perfect stranger know more about what their kids are doing than they do.
Clearly he is doing something right.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:17 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,750,728 times
Quote:
He bashes hypocrites and haters, some of whom happen to be Christian.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:19 PM

24,522 posts, read 33,379,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think this is your answer... as usual, Faux News (and you) seems to have blown things out of proportion.
How do you know he watches MSNBC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies