Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:10 PM

102,251 posts, read 108,166,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Are you denying that hateful readings of the Bible by Christians are a major reason for the bulling of gay teenagers? If Christians would keep their hate speech and beliefs to themselves rather than evangelizing them through a perversion of Christ's words, then there wouldn't be a problem.
Well, this really helps put a perspective on the OP. I was thinking, "wtf"?! But now it falls into place. The post after this one explains a lot, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 09:10 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,642,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Great...GET a bully to lecture on not being a bully.....only in America
Exactly! Welcome to the FAUX Anti-Bullying Program AKA Silencing the Christians Program.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:12 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,616,411 times
I'd still like to hear the actual speech. I'm slightly skeptical of the idea that such a horrible and offense speech given to a group of young people was not recorded by somebody.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:21 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,618,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Your first response to the OP:

"Are you denying that hateful readings of the Bible by Christians are a major reason for the bulling of gay teenagers? If Christians would keep their hate speech and beliefs to themselves rather than evangelizing them through a perversion of Christ's words, then there wouldn't be a problem."
Yes, I already reposted my first post to the OP in post #27. Are you not reading the whole thread?

Quote:
If you weren't responding to the topic of the thread, which was the presentation, then what exactly were you defending? Sounds like you believe this bullying, hateful, vulgar presentation; this calling of the content of the Bible, "Bullsh*t" was necessary. No need to respond. Its clear what you were doing and its obvious why you'd want to cover it up.
This is your problem. You can't read anything except through the lens of "Everyone is out to get Christians." Really it's a pathology with you. I said nothing about what Savage may have said. Frankly it seems highly unlikely, given that not a single adult stepped in to say it was inappropriate to call students names. Or are you suggesting that all of the adults in attendance also hate Christians?

Quote:
Typical progressive tactics. The ends justify the means. Its okay for an adult to Bully kids at an "Anti-Bullying" program. That is so rich.
Once again, the other link to the article doesn't say anything about kids having been called names. Try reading your sources with just a modicum of criticalness. You weren't there. Neither was I. So we aren't sure exactly what happened.

That being said, it would be completely appropriate at an anti-bulling program to talk about some of the nasty things that bullies say. You know like, "You're going to burn in hell because your mom is a lesbian." and talk about how to address it. Don't like it? Then evangelize to those Christians who say such things that this is not the way of Christ.

In this country, people have the right to respond to the crappy things that get said to them and/or about others. But for some reason you think that you and your ilk get to say whatever you want and no one can ever critique it. That's bull. If you want to live somewhere like that, go start a Christian theocracy and have at it.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:36 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,711,694 times
Default terrible evil person

So, Dan savage is speaking at an anti-bullying event and he starts bashing Christians and the bible? The irony is off the charts And, of course the reactions, and excuses to defend him are very telling about the (not so hidden) agenda. Why is it ok to bash Christians in a public forum? What about the hate crimes and anti-bullying rhetoric? I guess it only applies to gays, liberals, and/or other minorities.
It is obvious that all Christians need to take a stand and fight back against this now. The best way to do this is to get the message out and to vote all liberals OUT of office in November. We can't stop people from hating, but we can restrict the impact. Immorality, jealousy, prejudice, and hatred will never go away... but our public servants (schools, politicians, news stations, etc.) should pay a price for endorsing this junk.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
From Ovcatto's link:

"Not all Christians present for Savage’s speech were offended, however. “The church I go to is super-accepting of LGBT kids,†says Sarah Edger, a student journalist from Kansas City, Kans. “They don’t like discriminating against those people just because the Bible says so.â€
Churches that go against the bible are not real Christians. Any member belonging to that "church" needs to find a new church ASAP.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:41 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,618,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Churches that go against the bible are not real Christians. Any member belonging to that "church" needs to find a new church ASAP.
That's between that parishioner and God. Would you too condemn Jesus because he didn't follow all the laws that the pharisees insisted must be followed?

Old 04-27-2012, 09:43 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,616,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
So who are the "real" christians? Please enlighten me.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Intolerant of intolerance. Absolutely!!!

Hmmm, guess the pro-death penalty Christians missed the days that the Gospels were covered.

So you avoid all practices condemned in Scripture? All of them?

Don't let my actual posts ruin the Christian persecution complex that you now have going. If I was making the claim that all Christian kids are bullies why would I have provided a quote from one of the articles posted where a Christian student talked about her church be accepting of LGBT people?

With those of you that have a problem with what Savage allegedly said, why don't you work on illustrating how his characterization of Christians isn't true, rather than defend your right to be hateful? You'd do Jesus proud, if you did.
Helen, did you read what saVage said? If you were a real catholic then you would be offended. If you aren't sure about him then you should read some of his other columns that are readily available online. He was bashing Christians plain and simple. He was also using (i.e. abusing) his platform to intimidate high school teenagers. There is no defending his actions.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
That's between that parishioner and God. Would you too condemn Jesus because he didn't follow all the laws that the pharisees insisted must be followed?
Pharisees distorted and abused their power just like many other priests and ministers have throughout history. Jesus clearly showed us how to treat people.
If you read the bible you will see that Jesus reached out to all sinners and told them to repent and sin no more. Savage is actually doing the opposite by trying to convince good people that immoral behavior is good and that Christianity is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies