Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
I started in Cub Scouts and made it all the way to Eagle when I was 17. We had openly gay kids in our troop. Nobody cared. We had a couple of goth kids. Nobody cared. I was a vocal atheist. Nobody cared. We all came together every week because we were all friends and were excited about camping and the outdoors. Despite our meetings taking place in a church, religion was never brought up because we had Christians, Jews, Muslims and Atheists all in the troop.

We were always told to never discriminate and and treat each other with respect. Most kids can do it, but adults seem to be unable to grasp that concept.
Very, very weird. Here's the policy of the BSA:

"We believe that homosexual conduct is inconsistent with the requirements in the Scout Oath that a Scout be morally straight and in the Scout Law that a Scout be clean in word and deed, and that homosexuals do not provide a desirable role model for Scouts. Because of these beliefs, the Boy Scouts of America does not accept homosexuals as members or as leaders"

also

"Declaration of Religious Principle: The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognising an obligation to God. In the first part of the Scout Oath or Promise the member declares, ‘On my honour I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law.’ The recognition of God as the ruling and leading power in the universe and the grateful acknowledgment of his favours and blessings are necessary to the best type of citizenship and are wholesome precepts in the education of the growing members."

The Boy Scouts of American have strict policies against gay and atheist members and have a long, rich history of expelling gays and atheists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:48 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
I would defiantly not allow my sons to go camping with male homosexuals. Would you let your daughters go camping with men?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Wait a minute, you are contradicting yourself. Are the bolded important or not?

Old 05-01-2012, 05:23 AM

327 posts, read 644,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Very, very weird. Here's the policy of the BSA:

"We believe that homosexual conduct is inconsistent with the requirements in the Scout Oath that a Scout be morally straight and in the Scout Law that a Scout be clean in word and deed, and that homosexuals do not provide a desirable role model for Scouts. Because of these beliefs, the Boy Scouts of America does not accept homosexuals as members or as leaders"

also

"Declaration of Religious Principle: The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognising an obligation to God. In the first part of the Scout Oath or Promise the member declares, ‘On my honour I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law.’ The recognition of God as the ruling and leading power in the universe and the grateful acknowledgment of his favours and blessings are necessary to the best type of citizenship and are wholesome precepts in the education of the growing members."

The Boy Scouts of American have strict policies against gay and atheist members and have a long, rich history of expelling gays and atheists.
I'm very aware of BSA's antiquated policies. The upper management may have a problem with this but when it comes down to individual troops it can differ greatly. As with our troop.

The only time religion was ever brought up was when I went up for Eagle and I was asked if I believe in God(or accept him as my savior. Something like that) and I just said "yea" and tried not to laugh.

But thanks, BSA. My resume looks a lot better now.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Not approving of homosexuality does not mean one hates it. I want to raise my kids to know that it's OK to think that something that is widely accepted is morally wrong.
Sexual orientation has absolutely nothing to do with scouting, and neither should the sexual activities of any of the leaders or scouts. What people do in the privacy of their own bedrooms is nobody's business but the parties involved. If the scouts and leaders focus on scouting, I cannot understand why it matters.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Not approving of homosexuality does not mean one hates it. I want to raise my kids to know that it's OK to think that something that is widely accepted is morally wrong.
Briliiantly said!

Quote:
Sexual orientation has absolutely nothing to do with scouting, and neither should the sexual activities of any of the leaders or scouts. What people do in the privacy of their own bedrooms is nobody's business but the parties involved
Also well said.

So why the dichotomy of thought? To me, sexual orientation is a private matter. It's also too complex a subject for all you religious amateurs to even have an opinion whether it's right or wrong. So it's best leaving it as a subject unsaid, while at the same time, doing your best NOT to discriminate against gay people.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:21 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I am having an interesting week. My boy and I love scouting. It has helped us to make new friends, set goals and achievement, and learn about character.

After the big blow up back east about the gay Den Leader who was expelled, half my den wants to quit (I am a Den Leader myself-straight guy).

I love scouting, but I may step down if the organization cannot move forward.
This is nothing new with the Scouts. DH was a Scout back in the day, but he swore if we ever had sons, he wouldn't give the Scouts a dime after he found out how intolerant they are.

So each and every year, I have to disappoint some group of boys trying to get people to overpay for crappy popcorn, by not buying any and then of course the parent in charge trys to get me to by talking about how wonderful the Scouts are, then I interrup them by stating I don't support intolerant groups, then they ask what I mean, and I reply groups that are biased, discriminatory, and intolerant. Then the always end up saying something pi*sy as I walk away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Don't be an idiot, there are laws against killing children. Its always laughable when people who hate religion, try to quote from the bible. Now I wouldn't hesitate to wear out the behind of any child of mine who was disobedient or disrespecful. But liberals don't even want parents to do that.
Lev 19:27 "Do not cut the hair on the sides of your head, nor clip off the edges of your beard."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Which is probably why nobody thinks they are. Except perhaps for you, who brought it up when no one else did.

But when straight men molest a child, it's almost always a girl. There are no little girls in the Boy Scouts or Cub Scouts.

When gay men molest a child, it's often a little boy. There are lots of little boys in the Boy Scouts, and especially in Cub Scouts.

I hope this helps you to understand.
So you are saying Catholic priests are gay?!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:13 AM

692 posts, read 1,355,590 times
I had the same problem in the local Hitler Youth, what a bunch of bigots they turned out to be. Plus my trumpet never worked properly and all the other little fascist would laugh at me and call me names.

Last edited by Mulhall; 05-01-2012 at 09:24 AM..

Old 05-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
I'm very aware of BSA's antiquated policies. The upper management may have a problem with this but when it comes down to individual troops it can differ greatly. As with our troop.

The only time religion was ever brought up was when I went up for Eagle and I was asked if I believe in God(or accept him as my savior. Something like that) and I just said "yea" and tried not to laugh.

But thanks, BSA. My resume looks a lot better now.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. As society changes, being associated with openly bigoted groups like the Boy Scouts may become a huge liability. I can see a time quickly coming when putting Boy Scouts on a resume might make you persona non grata in the job market. It is a bit like bragging that you were a member of the KKK.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I would defiantly not allow my sons to go camping with male homosexuals. Would you let your daughters go camping with men?
When I was in scouts the "leader" tried to get me to ride with him alone to a campout. It made me very uncomfortable and I made a friend drive with us. He still promised us pie in the sky..WEIRD drive.. Years later my friend said the fruitcake tried some crap on him. I would not want quirks of nature around my children or men taking my daughters camping.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:41 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
My daughter does go camping with men. She has a father, a brother, uncles, friends. You do understand the difference between homosexuality and pedophilia, right? The best defence against anyone harming your children is vigilence and educating your children, and definitely not believing outdated folklore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies