Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,297,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Oh, yes, how much better it would be if these 12 children still languished in foster care:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/gay-dads-steve-roger-ham-raise-12-adopted/story?id=13635234

These 12 kids include 6 siblings. Do you know how hard it is to place 6 children together? This family assures this group of 6 siblings remains together. And it would be better if they were still in foster care? Or were split up?

And the parents aren't married (because the state of Arizona won't allow them to get married). Well, so much for the incessant "Marriage promotes stability and is thus good for children!" claim of the self-styled 'pro marriage' folks.

Banning same-sex marriage doesn't prevent gay couples from raising children. It only prevents those children being raised by gay couples from enjoying whatever benefits ensue from marriage.
Personally, I don't have a problem with giving gay couples foster children, but it should be a last resort.

23,838 posts, read 23,146,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
The SCOTUS already did that with Lawrence v. Texas. Homosexual sex within the boundaries of all 50 states is constitutionally protected. And, I expect they will uphold the lower courts ruling on Prop 8, which will have the added benefit of making same sex marriage constitutionally protected in all 50 states.

And I await that day with great anticipation.

Not because it impacts me, I am a heterosexual happily married male, SSM will not affect my life in any way. But I do so look forward to seeing the heads of those amongst us who would have their religious rules embodied into law explode when the thing they hate the most becomes the law of the land.
SCOTUS cannot legitimize anything in society. It can only make it legal. There's a difference between what the law will allow and what the people who make up society will allow. North Carolina told homosexuals yesterday that it will not give legitimacy to perversion.

2,160 posts, read 1,957,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
That is possible.

But if they take the case, and if they find same sex marriage to be a fundamental constitutional right as the lower court did, that decision, like Lawrence, will apply nationwide.
True, they could do that.

But they'll probably just kick the can down the road by either not bothering with the case, or just affirming the Ninth's ruling.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:21 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,619,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Humans for centuries have known for centuries that homosexual perversions are antithetical to all that is right, natural, and just.
Substitute "the right of women to vote" or "the right of negros to freedom" for "homosexual perversions" in the above statement, and you're repeating words that were spoken in past great debates.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Your're correct, most often war has no purpose.

Have anything fact based proving same sex 'parents' are harmful to a child's development?

In case you haven't noticed there are many opposite sex marriages that maintain horrible environments to raise children. Why aren't the self-Righteous so hell-bent on banning same sex marriage equally enthusiastic about preventing that situation?
If you compare homosexual parentage to dysfunctional heterosexual parentage you are hurting your argument.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,146,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
This would make more sense if Amendment 1 was actually about homosexual marriage.

It's not.

You may want to read the bill.
Amendment 1 prevents the state from sanctioning homosexual marriage. I'm not sure how you missed that.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,619,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
SCOTUS cannot legitimize anything in society. It can only make it legal. There's a difference between what the law will allow and what the people who make up society will allow. North Carolina told homosexuals yesterday that it will not give legitimacy to perversion.
If SCOTUS rules as I hope they will, North Carolina will have zero choice in the matter. At that point, the only option they have is to get an Amendment to the US Constitution passed that overrules the ruling. Good luck with that.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,957,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Personally, I don't have a problem with giving gay couples foster children, but it should be a last resort.
If it should be a 'last resort', clearly you have problems with it.

So are gay parents fit to raise children, or not?

Had there been six opposite-sex couples waiting to adopt those six siblings, should they have all been separated from each other instead of being allowed to stay together with gay parents?

There are always more children than there are homes.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:25 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,842,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
No. Gay marriage is not a federal issue.

FEDS - STAY OUT OF IT, you morons!
Why is it a state issue?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mieux View Post
So does divorce (if the custodial parent chooses not to re-marry and there isn't much interaction with the other parent, as is often the case). So does adoption by a single parent. Let me assure you, all two parent homes are not the bed of roses you seem to believe they are. There are plenty of people who grow up with two parents of the opposite sex, but the environment is abusive and toxic. Creating a nurturing and healthy environment for a child is just not as simple as making sure there's a mom and a dad in the house.
I never said that all two parent households are a bed of roses and yes, I agree, homosexual parentage is better than getting beaten by an abusive parent every night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies