Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,936,702 times

Advertisements

I have a co-worker who voted for Amendment One. She came in this morning all proud and happy about having voted and having the vote pass and how Gay Marriage is now illegal (already was). Everyone in the office looked at her and called her an idiot.

She is a single mom and her child could lose health benefits. He ex's parents can now refile for custody because the Amendment trumps the "best for the child" ruling that NC uses for custody. She only heard "gay marriage" and voted for that to preserve marriage (ironic being that she is divorced and I made sure to make that abundantly clear). She is now in her office crying and wondering what the hell was she thinking.

I look forward to more stories like this because if you where dumb enough to vote for this law then you deserve the "benefits".

Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,615,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
the voters decided!
Basic human rights should not be subject to a popular vote, and this abomination is a perfect example why.

I am ashamed of my countrymen today. Discrimination has no business being codified into law.

This is not the first time NC has banned certain marriages in their constitution. In 1895 they did so for interracial marriages. This, like that, will some day be widely seen for the disgrace that it is.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:00 AM

72 posts, read 77,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
There are countless millions of people, across the nation, who are celebrating the triumph of democracy in that the citizens of North Carolina were free to vote on this issue and for their vote to matter.
What exactly are these "countless millions of people" celebrating? The fact that people voted for an amendment which they thought was to ban gay marriage (even though that was already banned years ago)? Or the fact that they voted to amend the state constitution to specifically state civil unions will not be legally recognized, which impacts a lot more than just gay couples. Do you even comprehend what this amendment actually means, or are you one of those who blindly and erroneously believes this was about gay marriage?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:00 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,936,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Not a good comparison at all. Black people cannot choose the color of their skin. Gay people do have a choice. Like I said - apples to oranges.
The only choice Gay people have is to hide it from the society that strips them of their rights every chance it gets. Other than that they have no choices.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Weird how liberals are so supportive of democracy when things go their way but are such sore losers when they don't.
Kinda like the continual conservative whining about that very same democracy that puts someone in the White House, eh?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I have a co-worker who voted for Amendment One. She came in this morning all proud and happy about having voted and having the vote pass and how Gay Marriage is now illegal (already was). Everyone in the office looked at her and called her an idiot.

She is a single mom and her child could lose health benefits. He ex's parents can now refile for custody because the Amendment trumps the "best for the child" ruling that NC uses for custody. She only heard "gay marriage" and voted for that to preserve marriage (ironic being that she is divorced and I made sure to make that abundantly clear). She is now in her office crying and wondering what the hell was she thinking.

I look forward to more stories like this because if you where dumb enough to vote for this law then you deserve the "benefits".
Thank you for that story. That truly makes me smile. I've read so many hate-filled posts the last couple of days, that I look forward to the fallout. I feel as much sympathy for this woman and she showed by her vote.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
What happened in CA was NOT judicial review.
That's right -- I forgot, it's only judicial review when you get your way ...

Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post

I wonder if anyone has pulled data from the most recent census to check how many couples are cohabiting in NC, how many single parents kids there are. Anyone who is not married in the eyes of the religious zealots are at risk of losing many of their rights and benefits.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
Quote:
There are countless millions of people, across the nation, who are celebrating the triumph of democracy in that the citizens of North Carolina were free to vote on this issue and for their vote to matter.

Weird how liberals are so supportive of democracy when things go their way but are such sore losers when they don't.
exactly They are Hypocrites

Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
I've heard the "marry my dog" argument from the gay haters so many times and I have to wonder why they think that is persuasive. Do you really think people are worried that others will marry their dog? Do you see that as a risk we need to amend a Constitution to prevent? Of course not, it's just a desperate excuse to disguise hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies