Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:13 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times

Advertisements

Due to my company firewall I cant post the link, but here's a quick rundown.

In Brownsville Brooklyn, a group of teens were playing a game of chicken on a parking gate that goes up and down whenever a car leaves or enters. The last person to hang on wins. Only this time, one of the teens held on too long and was afraid to jump resulting in him getting crushed within the mechanism at the top of the gate. Immediately the mother spoke out about how if the park within the complex for the kids to play at wasnt fenced off that this would have never happened. She also blamed security for not paying attention or rushing to the aid of the child as he hung from the gate for approximately 10 minutes while waiting for emergency services to arrive.

While I feel sorry for the loss of this child, I'm becoming quite annoyed with people putting blame on others for theirs or their childrens self doing. Although he was only 12, I'm quite sure he knew that this was not a safe game to play. According to neighbors, this teen was warned just the day before by security to stop playing around and hanging on the gate. How the mother feels she has a case is beyond me. Although I wont be surprised if a judge rules in her favor and she is awarded a substantial amount of money for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 07:20 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
easy way out of the hood. make a child, disregard what child is doing and not pay attention, profit off death.

It's a horrible situation and may the kid RIP, but I also just rolled my eyes at the lawsuit. The more judges that rule in favor of these frivolous lawsuits, the more that people seem to grasp over everything to get their very own lawsuit.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
I'm becoming quite annoyed with people putting blame on others for theirs or their childrens self doing.
I'd agree and the classic example is high dives. When I was a kid these were common at any pool. The community pool where I live doesn't even have a dive at all let alone a high dive. A few kids got hurt (not at this particular pool), parents sued, now the insurance is so outrageous the pool can't afford it. No more diving boards at any pool.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
I read this in the NYDN the other day and it is sickening that they could even have a law suite. It is a tragedy, but the children were told several times by just about everyone NOT to play with the gate. They did so anyway as sort of a dare or challenge to entertain themselves, and a kid paid the price with his life.

Then the parents and community had a nerve to critisize the developers for not building a playground, assuming that if one had of been built, then the kids would have had somewhere else to go ...yet when it was pointed out that they actually did have one, they were critisized AGAIN for not having one for the age of the kids playing with the gate ...then the developers mentioned that they tried to have a basketball court built, but due to liability issues they scrapped the plans. And who can blame them? This is Brownsville we're talking about after all.

And for those folks who aren't familiar with the area, Brownsville is the poorest, worst area of NYC. I don't blame the developers for not putting a ball court there.

If anything, the developers should sue the parents for any damage caused to his gate. After all, someone has to pay for that.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:34 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
this must be it - Family of Brooklyn boy killed by roll-up gate plans to sue; lawyer alleges security guards weren’t watching when accident occurred

Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'd agree and the classic example is high dives. When I was a kid these were common at any pool. The community pool where I live doesn't even have a dive at all let alone a high dive. A few kids got hurt (not at this particular pool), parents sued, now the insurance is so outrageous the pool can't afford it. No more diving boards at any pool.

I used to love diving, and when the pools around here started removing their diving boards, I was like WTF? It's sad that our society has become so sue happy!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
>If anything, the developers should sue the parents for any damage caused to his gate. After all, someone has to pay for that.<

Plus cleaning up the mess.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I read this in the NYDN the other day and it is sickening that they could even have a law suite. It is a tragedy, but the children were told several times by just about everyone NOT to play with the gate. They did so anyway as sort of a dare or challenge to entertain themselves, and a kid paid the price with his life.

Then the parents and community had a nerve to critisize the developers for not building a playground, assuming that if one had of been built, then the kids would have had somewhere else to go ...yet when it was pointed out that they actually did have one, they were critisized AGAIN for not having one for the age of the kids playing with the gate ...then the developers mentioned that they tried to have a basketball court built, but due to liability issues they scrapped the plans. And who can blame them? This is Brownsville we're talking about after all.

And for those folks who aren't familiar with the area, Brownsville is the poorest, worst area of NYC. I don't blame the developers for not putting a ball court there.

If anything, the developers should sue the parents for any damage caused to his gate. After all, someone has to pay for that.
Building a playground would also get them sued.
Keep in mind too that in certain parts of the US, lawsuit judgments are VASTLY higher and they tend to be impoverished areas where a jury is likely to be uneducated and looking to just give someone a payout.

This is why a number of states have put laws into place to limit venue shopping like in IL where they try to get the cases moved to East St. Louis......or in class action suits why 50% of the suits are brought in Mississippi with 1% of the US population. Just a coincidence no doubt.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Being able to sue them and win is sort of like kids playing on train tracks, getting hit by the train and then wanting to sue the train company.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 AM

835 posts, read 1,040,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
And who can blame them? This is Brownsville we're talking about after all.

Actually, neighborhoods in the Bronx are among the poorest neighborhoods in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies