Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 06:03 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times

Advertisements

I have an MS degree in chemical engineering, yet I've been unemployed for six months after getting a job for a little more than a year after finishing school.

Go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 06:07 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,350,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I have an MS degree in chemical engineering, yet I've been unemployed for six months after getting a job for a little more than a year after finishing school.

Go.

Go pitch a tent in a public park and scream and yell about it. You may also want to defecate on police vehicles. That seems to be effective.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:12 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:

Go.
If you dont know what you should be doing, then clearly you overpaid for that degree.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:20 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If you dont know what you should be doing, then clearly you overpaid for that degree.
I shouldn't be responding to a hostile post like this, but obviously I know I'm supposed to be searching for jobs, particularly those where my skill set is in demand.

I'm talking both practically in the short-term and philosophically in the long-term.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:22 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:

Go.
Here is a site you can try. I don't know how extessive it is yet, but it's building.

Democrat Business (coming soon) | Directory | Discounts | Jobs | Barter

Old 12-12-2011, 06:22 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,530 times
Take any job you can get for now, and keep looking. Being employed says a lot about work ethic.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:26 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:

Go.
Answer these questions first

1. What was your plan before you got your degree?
2. What are you doing to find a job right now?
3. How many hours/week do you volunteer?
4. How many hours/week do you spend networking?
5. How many hours/week do you spend studying new skills?
6. How many connections have you made in your field through both grad school and undergrad alumni networks?
7. Why did you leave that first job out of school?
8. What was your backup plan in case you were fired/laid off from that first job?

Once we know the answers to these questions, we can get started helping you out.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:28 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:

Go.
Have you applied ad DuPont or DOW? Maybe it is your personality that is keeping you from being hire.

Walmart is always looking for educated people.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:29 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,350,388 times
Quote:
I shouldn't be responding to a hostile post like this, but obviously I know I'm supposed to be searching for jobs, particularly those where my skill set is in demand.

I'm talking both practically in the short-term and philosophically in the long-term.

In the short term take any job you can get to survive. I bet WalMart and McDonalds are hiring. However....let me guess: That would be beneath you. I also wouldn't be surprised to hear that you've rejected some jobs in your field because they weren't "good enough". Establish a personal network and use it as much as possible. That will net much better results than a job board. Join linkedin if you're not on already. If you only have one year of job experience make sure your expectations are reasonable. Accept a junior position and build experience if neccessary.
I was in the mortgage industry until it went bust. I went from a beautiful six figure executive level sales management job with outstanding benefits to being unemployed and not being able to put food on the table. I tried other sales jobs but I didn't have the fire in me anymore so I failed. From the doghouse to the penthouse to the outhouse is how my story reads.
I ended up taking a part time position as a firearms instructor and now I'm working on turning it into a new full time career in a business of my own. When you're doing something fun it doesn't feel like work. Unfortunately it took me twenty plus years to figure that out.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:31 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,846,757 times
Be open to relocation.

Get a LinkedIn account and add everyone you know. List all your qualifications. Check your classmates' pages to make sure you have everything listed that you can. I know LinkedIn looks at first like Monster.com where it is full of scams and headhunters that never actually get you a job, but LinkedIn is surprisingly effective. It got me my current job, and I wasn't even looking for a new job. I still get job inquiries on a weekly basis, and I have listed that I'm not looking for a job. (Most of these inquiries are a few hundred miles away, so again, be open to relocation.)

Chemical engineering is, from everything I've heard, a great major to have to get a job.

Apply to at least one job a day, every day.

Talk to your employed classmates. See if their companies are hiring.

Attend your college's career fair.

(None of this is "conservative" advice , by the way)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies