Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 01:58 PM

646 posts, read 1,788,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Why? The Free Enterprise System

Best on earth
It's because the company could choose to spend the money in a better way. If they instead paid more across the board, I think that would have a positive effect on the way people feel about work. Of course that run the of inflation here, but the main difference is that other countries have different priorities where the majority of the people have a decent income instead of a few having an absurd income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 01:59 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,312,405 times
Both liberal and conservatives have elite's that control the government. Trying to blame it on one party is just wrong. Atleast clinton didn't put us in a deficit or send us into a war that get's protracted.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
It's because the company could choose to spend the money in a better way. If they instead paid more across the board, I think that would have a positive effect on the way people feel about work. Of course that run the of inflation here, but the main difference is that other countries have different priorities where the majority of the people have a decent income instead of a few having an absurd income.
"Absurd" income? I love it. Absurd to whom? You? Me? My next door neighbor?

What give you, me or the government the right to say how much income is "absurd"?

For, if you allow the government to tell you how much you can earn or be worth, you have lost your FREEDOM - totally -

And, why should you or I have the right to try to tell a company how to spend THEIR money?

Again, you are suggesting, if you realize it or not, about limiting ones FREEDOMS simply because you think their income is "absurd"

I say, the more the merrier -

Old 09-19-2007, 02:04 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,641,451 times
Quote:
Are you saying a baby is automatically bad just because they were born to "rich" parents?
By that logic, are you saying a baby born into poverty is "automatically bad," and should be punished by not having the same access to trust funds and massive inheritances as the rich kids?

Old 09-19-2007, 02:11 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday
What give you, me or the government the right to say how much income is "absurd"?
Experience as to how societies with tremendous income inequality end up.

Prognosis: Not too good.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:14 PM

537 posts, read 441,680 times
Quote:
He gets his NFL pension - that's it.

Goldman has already gotten the off shore accounts

Goldman get all the other income OJ gets from autographs etc

Goldman has collected millions on the judgment
OJ gets paid lots and lots of cash for signing and doing things that he does not report. Don't even tell me that you honestly believe that he is not rich. LOLOLOL That is too funny.

You honestly think that OJ told them about ALL of the offshore accounts? Sorry, but only a na8ive person would believe the stuff you are posting about OJ. BTW, prove that the Goldmans got money from the offshore accounts.

BTW, his pensions are about $400,000.00. Please go ahead and research and do some watching of the news and you will find out a lot.

646 posts, read 1,788,378 times
Quote:
"Absurd" income? I love it. Absurd to whom? You? Me? My next door neighbor?

For, if you allow the government to tell you how much you can earn or be worth, you have lost your FREEDOM - totally -

And, why should you or I have the right to try to tell a company how to spend THEIR money?

Again, you are suggesting, if you realize it or not, about limiting ones FREEDOMS simply because you think their income is "absurd"

I say, the more the merrier -
I would say that in general, most people believe this ratio between CEOs' salaries and regular employees is way too high. It's not as much about the government having to set what is an appropriate salary (I know of very few developed countries where that happens) but more about setting those limits yourself. In the US, it's unfortunately a little bit too much about me, me, me, which results in these income descrepancies and many laws have been written just for this reason instead of self-constraint.

So to sum it up, it's not up to me to tell someone what they are allowed to pay, but I believe the majority believes the gap should be narrowed voluntarily.

13,815 posts, read 29,402,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
By that logic, are you saying a baby born into poverty is "automatically bad," and should be punished by not having the same access to trust funds and massive inheritances as the rich kids?
Of course I wouldn't, that would make me just as stupid as the people that support the economic "redistribution".

A child has absolutely no choice of who they are born to and therefore shouldn't be forced to change just because they were born.. how stupid would a person have to be to support that??
what's next? birth police?? the poor newborn gets thrown in prison because they were born to the wrong parents..

there will always be envy, might as well get used to it.. every time I see a Ferrari on the road I wish it was me driving it, but that doesn't give me the authority to jack it from the legitimate owner.. but I suppose that would be ok in some people's eyes..

Old 09-19-2007, 02:19 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
I would say that in general, most people believe this ratio between CEOs' salaries and regular employees is way too high. It's not as much about the government having to set what is an appropriate salary (I know of very few developed countries where that happens) but more about setting those limits yourself. In the US, it's unfortunately a little bit too much about me, me, me, which results in these income descrepancies and many laws have been written just for this reason instead of self-constraint.

So to sum it up, it's not up to me to tell someone what they are allowed to pay, but I believe the majority believes the gap should be narrowed voluntarily.
OK, who should "narrow" the gaps? Think about it - in the case of a corporation, who "owns" the corporation? And, if the owners approve the compensation package, shouldn't the owners of that corporation have that right?

And, in the case of a sold proprietorship, shouldn't that owner of that business have the absolute right to decide the income they deserve? After all, they are taking all the risks?

Old 09-19-2007, 02:19 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,641,451 times
Quote:
every time I see a Ferrari on the road I wish it was me driving it, but that doesn't give me the authority to jack it from the legitimate owner.. but I suppose that would be ok in some people's eyes.
The thing is, if we end up with a society like the one I described on page 3, taking someone else's things no longer becomes a question of 'right' or 'wrong.' For someone in chronic, severe poverty, it's merely a matter of getting revenge on a system that seems completely rigged against you. You stop thinking of the people wealthier than you as human beings. Like I said, look to Brazil, if you want to see where this can lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies