Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 12:31 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What? This sentence is complete nonsense. What gender are you sexually? For that matter, what gender am I sexually? What does that even mean?
Rephrase...

Do you honestly believe a 2 year old knows what gender they WANT to be...that they have any grasp....

Gender is a social construct....Children do not even identify with themselves being black or white at that age.

They may understand they like trucks....or spider man....but that in NO WAY justifies parents taking steps towards a sex change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 12:41 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Which indigenous cultures? Need some sources here.
Yes, as someone mentioned, Native American culture and Pacific Islander culture. Some of the hula dancing girls who perform for tourists aren't "girls".... There's a documentary on how it works in Pacific Islander culture (French Polynesia, I think: Tahiti), but I don't recall the name.

There's still a tradition that survives among the Navajo whereby Two-Spirit people are considered to be highly spiritual people. In Quechua culture, some of the Inca gods were bi-sexual (Viracocha, for example). It seems to be the influence of Christianity that has resulted in suppressing these traditions, and in considering gay, bisexual and transgender people as "deviant" and shameful.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:47 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Rephrase...

Do you honestly believe a 2 year old knows what gender they WANT to be...that they have any grasp....

Gender is a social construct....Children do not even identify with themselves being black or white at that age.

They may understand they like trucks....or spider man....but that in NO WAY justifies parents taking steps towards a sex change.
I believe even small children have a very rudimentary understanding of things like gender. I also believe that true transgenderism is innate and is biologically based. I also believe that it is in no way harmful or wrong for a child to not conform to "standard" gender roles or gender expression.

What exactly have these parents done that is wrong? What's wrong with allowing their child to go by Tyler, have spider-man sheets, wear "boy" clothing, and generally treat him as society would treat a boy? - especially in light of how miserable and maladjusted he is when treated as a girl?

What's wrong with educating one's self with all the available information in case this is one of the rare instances it's not a phase and something Tyler will not grow out of?

To me it seems they are being wonderful parents doing what is in the immediate best interest of their child while at the same time trying to get a sense of what could await them and Tyler in the future.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:51 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Again, how does this qualify you to tell me that science is or is not bunk?
How are you qualified to tell whether or not trained professionals in the field aren't qualified?

Old 05-22-2012, 12:53 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,953 times
Quote:
Again, how does this qualify you to tell me that science is or is not bunk?
Why can't you answer my question?

As for your's I have a medical background, even though I farm now (the doc retired) I still keep current on medical issues and research, I read actual books and I keep my training current.

I'm not saying every little medical condition is legit but more often than not, they are.

Bottom line, I know what i'm talking about. Apparently, you don't.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
How are you qualified to tell whether or not trained professionals in the field aren't qualified?
I'm not....never said I was... But I don't have faith in Science...especially when we have a rent seeking government....

Not too hard to understand if you ask me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Why can't you answer my question?

As for your's I have a medical background, even though I farm now (the doc retired) I still keep current on medical issues and research, I read actual books and I keep my training current.

I'm not saying every little medical condition is legit but more often than not, they are.

Bottom line, I know what i'm talking about. Apparently, you don't.
That's great you read... so do I...

You come from a family with a medical background....My mom was an RN...my aunt is a nurse practitioner.

The private practice that my mom worked for...the three partners who were MD's in their respective field for 20+ years.. one of them was a rambling idiot.

My uncle is pre-med right now.

How does any of this qualify you or myself? It doesn't...

Bottom line....you are putting a huge amount of FAITH in the medical "industry".

Old 05-22-2012, 01:15 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,953 times
Quote:
I'm not....never said I was... But I don't have faith in Science...especially when we have a rent seeking government....

That's great you read... so do I...

You come from a family with a medical background....My mom was an RN...my aunt is a nurse practitioner.

The private practice that my mom worked for...the three partners who were MD's in their respective field for 20+ years.. one of them was a rambling idiot.

My uncle is pre-med right now.

How does any of this qualify you or myself? It doesn't...

Bottom line....you are putting a huge amount of FAITH in the medical "industry".
I'll bet you still believe that Epilepsy is caused by demonic possession don't ya?

Old 05-22-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I'll bet you still believe that Epilepsy is caused by demonic possession don't ya?
Surely, I don't....

But epilepsy is the OLDEST known brain disorder....when you try to compare a condition which dates back to Alexander The Great with something like "Gender Identity Disorder"...which is some stupid disorder conjured by a quack 100 years ago...it's apples and oranges...

Epilepsy is one of the most researched brain disorders period...it's universally accepted as an ailment...it is not psychological quackery it is actually a physiological disorder.

No GID is not not a disorder...all it is is WANTING people to empathize and give your preference superpowers.

You are a man, with a man's body and you WANT a womans body....

You are a woman, with a woman's body and you WANT a man's body....

That's it! Simple!

Old 05-22-2012, 01:34 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
In what way can you be attracted to someone without it being sexual?
Easy: "Wow. She's cute." Doesn't mean I want to jump her bones.

From as far back as I can remember, I've been attracted to people of all genders. There were several people (male and female) that my tongue would tie itself in knots around them. It wasn't until I was more knowledgeable about sex and sexuality did I realize what that attraction actually was.

And here I am today, a pansexual.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:36 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:

It is when the science is sound and backed by fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies