Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 02:08 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

The child in the video is too young to have a sexual preference. The child appears to have a strong sense that something is wrong with the way the parents labelled him/her in the beginning. That's not preference, it's a sign of something more serious. "When did you switch me?", she demanded, when her mom explained to her, with illustrations, why she's a girl. That's very unusual, and demonstrates that the child is not expressing mere preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 02:14 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The child in the video is too young to have a sexual preference. The child appears to have a strong sense that something is wrong with the way the parents labelled him/her in the beginning. That's not preference, it's a sign of something more serious. "When did you switch me?", she demanded, when her mom explained to her, with illustrations, why she's a girl. That's very unusual, and demonstrates that the child is not expressing mere preference.
She's not claiming a sexual preference.

She's claiming to be of a different gender.

The only labeling that the parents did was to name her Kathryn at birth and treat her as a girl (per her physical gender). Is that the wrong way to raise/label a girl? (Noting that "Kathryn" wishes to now be called Tyler and wants all boy stuff)

In fact, if you do some research, you'll find that there have been studies showing that the brains of transgender people actually more closely resemble that of the gender they claim vice that of the gender their body is.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 05-22-2012 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-22-2012, 02:16 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
It was sarcasm.

Aside from the focus on the sarcastic first line, you missed the part where I mentioned that, as a kid, one can be attracted without it being sexual - because they don't understand the actual attraction until later in life. They just find themselves attracted, or mesmerized, by people of one or more genders.

And, it's not like young children are completely oblivious to the concept of relationships. They see their parents, parents' friends, neighbors, the parents of their friends, etc.

My own daughter, who's in elementary school, has on more than one occasion stated that she can't wait until she's old enough for a boyfriend.

But this is, of course, different from gender dysphoria - in which the brain and body don't agree on gender.
That is still not the same. An "attraction" as a kid is not the same as it would be as an adult. If an adult says they are attracted to someone, I'm 99.9% sure people are going to understand that it is sexual. A child being attracted isn't romantic or sexual. Children don't have the natural proclivity to even want to desire sex until puberty. You and I clearly have two different concepts of attraction. We aren't going to see eye to eye on this.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:17 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:

The only labeling that the parents did was to name her Kathryn and treat her as a girl. Is that the wrong way to raise/label a girl?
Yes, which is why this thread exist.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
The ironic part about all of this is that if someone is actually transgendered they are that way since birth or even before birth. 1 day old, 2 years old, 5 years old, 25 years old...it's pretty much the same and it doesn't change with age and it doesn't matter if you think it's disgusting. It just is.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:23 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
That is still not the same. An "attraction" as a kid is not the same as it would be as an adult. If an adult says they are attracted to someone, I'm 99.9% sure people are going to understand that it is sexual. A child being attracted isn't romantic or sexual. Children don't have the natural proclivity to even want to desire sex until puberty. You and I clearly have two different concepts of attraction. We aren't going to see eye to eye on this.
Whelp. I can say that from my own personal experience, I felt a tugging attraction towards certain people that I didn't feel towards others. As I got older, I realized that the "difference" is that I was indeed sexually attracted to said person.

We aren't going to see eye to eye because my statements are backed by my own personal experience (which I can remember back to kindergarten clearly and even further back regarding key events, people, and places) as well as the backing of scientific studies on the matter.

Quote:
Yes, which is why this thread exist.
So, if I give birth to a child with female genitalia, it's wrong for me to give her a female name and treat her like a female?

Because that's what the parents did.

Until Kathryn spoke up.

And is now Tyler. (At least temporarily)

Old 05-22-2012, 02:47 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:

The only labeling that the parents did was to name her Kathryn at birth and treat her as a girl (per her physical gender). Is that the wrong way to raise/label a girl? (Noting that "Kathryn" wishes to now be called Tyler and wants all boy stuff)

In fact, if you do some research, you'll find that there have been studies showing that the brains of transgender people actually more closely resemble that of the gender they claim vice that of the gender their body is.
I agree with this. By "sexual preference", I was responding to someone else's post.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:02 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
LOL. You don't believe that. You couldn't possibly believe that. And if you do I wonder how many kids have you been around. Kids at the age of 2 are just understanding the difference between mommy and daddy.
Yes, I do believe that. And what you're describing in that last sentence is what I'd call a rudimentary understanding of gender. Also, boys and girls brains are different. They start to develop differently even before birth. I think even small human children are intuitive (perhaps intelligent) enough to pick-up on some the expressions of those natural differences. This can lead to feelings (notice I'm not saying understanding) of discord in a transgender kid who, at some base level, realizes he's being called a boy but that he doesn't seem to be like other boys.

Quote:
Unless those children have seen the private parts of a man and a woman at a stage that they can actually remember or at least under the difference, it is impossible for them to know how different men and women are.
What? I really don't know what it is you're trying to say here. I don't think looking at penises and vaginas is the only way kids come to a better understanding of gender.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:42 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Default 5 year old "Transgender"?

My Niece thought she was a dog but her parents didn't encourage it and she turned out to be a human, just like she was born to be. Girl/Boy and some born with a birth defect, other than that it's all in your head.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:49 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Surely, I don't....

But epilepsy is the OLDEST known brain disorder....when you try to compare a condition which dates back to Alexander The Great with something like "Gender Identity Disorder"...which is some stupid disorder conjured by a quack 100 years ago...it's apples and oranges...

Epilepsy is one of the most researched brain disorders period...it's universally accepted as an ailment...it is not psychological quackery it is actually a physiological disorder.

No GID is not not a disorder...all it is is WANTING people to empathize and give your preference superpowers.

You are a man, with a man's body and you WANT a womans body....

You are a woman, with a woman's body and you WANT a man's body....

That's it! Simple!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies