Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 10:45 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Supporting the war on drugs means you side with illegal drug pushers, because they sure as hell don't want to see it end and drugs decriminalized. They know they can't get rich by selling something legal, like beer.

That is a different way of putting it, but true. I'm sure Al Capone and the rest of his ilk were grateful for the government's prohibition of alcohol back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 11:09 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Barack Obama has stated his support for the war on drugs, as well as his position on NOT legalizing marijuana, several times. It's of no concern to me at all whether you believe me or not.
Unike most Republicans, the President has the ability to adapt and change their mind, and whether or not you believe him or not does not matter, because we know even if the man cured cancer, stopped all war on the planet and ended all hunger you would still ***** about him.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:13 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
What did he "really mean" about closing Gitmo? About giving marijuana dispensaries a break from federal harassment and closure?

How about gay marriage, since he was "for" it before he was against it (and now for it.......again)?
He isn't done yet, but if you want it closed don't whine when they put them on trial.
Adapted and growing point of view, we all learn, well most of us do
Same answer, I know it is a concept you do not grasp but if you want an example look at the Liberal GOP candidate for President, did he adapt and change his mind on issues or is he simply a BS artist?

Old 05-23-2012, 11:17 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
its about time

the only way to combat stupid people needing to get high to "handle life" is to get them help

take away the need, and you take away the market

the government has been stupid for a very long time with this..going after dealers and kingpins with never be the solution, because somebody is always ready to take their place...you have to combat drugs at the addict

Old 05-23-2012, 11:19 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
its about time

the only way to combat stupid people needing to get high to "handle life" is to get them help

the government has been stupid for a very long time with this..going after dealers and kingpins with never be the solution, because somebody is always ready to take their place...you have to combat drugs at the addict
its not the governments job to combat anything unless it poses a direct threat to our sovereignty.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:22 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
its about time

Exactly! To take it one step further - we can also legalize it (like we did with tobacco and alcohol) to better regulate/tax it AND this will have the added bonus of taking away money from the Drug-Lords (and their gangs). They would either have to turn legit or find something else that is illegal. If they aren't making any money - the drug war is over. Then we could concentrate on treatment of the addiction and education. This would also give us other benefits like easing the over-crowded prisons, tax-payer's financing the legal aspects of this war (court-room & other litigations) and crime on the streets (from dealers to prostitution).

Old 05-23-2012, 01:03 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Election Year Politics™ at its finest.

How many of you actually think that Barack Obama is interested in ending the "war on drugs?"
He signed the last bill that Representative Giffords from Arizona drafted - which clarified what aircraft could be considered as "drug planes".
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h3801/text

Old 05-23-2012, 03:38 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
There is no need to lock anyone up for using any drug. Lock them up if they committ a crime, provide treatment if they desire, let the rest go.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:27 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
So pot users are mentally ill, or are you saying drug rehab centers are psychiatric hospitals??

People convicted of drug crimes only go to minimum security prisons???
Yes. You have be psycho or a totally pathetic waste of DNA to be unable to enjoy life without being drunk or stoned.

Quote:
So the solution is to throw people in jail because they get high?

Is this your idea of liberty?
What about my liberty?

Don't I have the freedom to walk around without being harassed by alcoholics and drug addicts for money? Don't I have the freedom to not have drug addicts breaking in cars and houses to steal things to support their, um, "liberty?" Don't I have the freedom to work in a drug-free environment where I don't have to worry about a stoned fork-lift operator killing or injuring me or my co-workers?

I guess not.

Quote:
War on drugs = huge government waste, but that's ok in your eyes
What War on Drugs? There has never been a War on Drugs. The War on Drugs is just a political gambit. The government couldn't scream "Commie Reds" forever. Americans were seeing through that. No one seriously considered any South American country to be a military and political threat to the US. So how does the US retain its ability to control, manipulate and influence events in South America? The War on Drugs.

You want to see a War on Drugs? I'll give you a War on Drugs and it'll be over in 90 days and that will be the end of that. I have the will to what is needed to be done; the politicians don't.

I'll start by executing drug dealers, regardless of the amount sold. See if that don't put a damper on things. Oh, and in a War on Drugs, drug dealers would be tried in military courts and summarily executed in the field, so don't worry about your jails or your civil/criminal court system getting clogged up.

And cocaine/crack and heroin? You'll never see that again. I'll ramp up production of Agent Orange and have C-130s spray it all over the Earth.

Whose gonna stop me? The Bolivian Air Force? Ha ha. The Bolivian Air Force will be at the bottom of the ocean or burning in place on the ground in less than 2 weeks. If the Bolivian government and the Bolivian people don't want me spraying Agent Orange everywhere, then I suggest they'd best get their asses in gear and start coming down on the cartels, so I don't have to.

The beautiful homes of drug lords and politicians who look the other way will be mysteriously by destroyed by cruise missiles, and members of drug cartels will be mysteriously assassinated.

That's a real War on Drugs.

Quote:
Since when is the war on drugs letting nature take it's course??? Nature taking it's course would be to de-criminalize drugs, which is what the thread is about, but it's clear you are against it, all in the name of liberty!!!!
That gets my vote for Most Contradictory Statement on City Data.

You want, um, "nature to take its course?"

That's fine with me. Let's do exactly that. That means no welfare, no Food Stamps, no Supplemental Security Income (SSI), no Social Security Disability (SSDI), no Section 8 HUD Housing, no unemployment benefits, no worker's compensation benefits, no money to "homeless" (snicker) organizations, no medical treatment, no nothing.

So when one of you sorry pukes OD on your drug of choice, you just die. No ambulance will come get you, and no doctor or hospital will intervene to provide treatment -- we are simply letting nature take its course and the wonders of Natural Selection work its magic and weed all of the pathetic drug users out of the DNA/Gene Pool to make Humanity stronger and more resilient.

Praying for war...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There is no need to lock anyone up for using any drug. Lock them up if they committ a crime, provide treatment if they desire, let the rest go.
How do you think they get money to buy drugs? They commit crimes.

And you want to legalize it? What does that do? Nothing, it just creates more crime.

That's brilliant.

And as far as treatment, you need to get yourself up to speed. There is only one effective treatment method, and that is intense behavior modification therapy (effectively a form of "deprogramming"), which requires incarceration for several years.

No other form of treatment is even remotely successful. Your statistics prove that. Read the fine print.

Deprogramming...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Tiger Woods rehab costs for a 35-day stay was $33,500, according to the Addiction Resource Guide. Not saying it would cost that much, but who pays? The taxpayer, I guess? Then do they become Government run rehab centers? I dunno, be careful what you wish for.
Hey, you got Obamacare to pay for it. They money will magically fall out of the sky just for the asking.

We can even use Death Panels and deny $500,000 transplant operation so that we can, um, you know, "treat" 14 addicts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And WE have to pay for these addicts who made their own choices to use drugs?

No way. If you want to allow them to do drugs, then you should allow them to OD and die in the streets. Let them make their own choices, let the taxpayers keep our money.
Amen to both of those....

Mircea

Old 05-23-2012, 08:54 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
If the government didn't let it come in to our country we wouldn't have quite the problem. First a person has to want treatment or is this going to be forced on people also??

WE taxpayer's sure have to pay for a lot of people's own choice's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies