Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 02:35 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
Let's trade. I'll take your rude rednecks, and you can have these Coloradoans. I miss blunt.
No.
blunt is a euphemism for rude uncooth people.

I will take the west, any prairie states, or the northeast or northwest over the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 04:19 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,823,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Good manners and not being rude should be habits that require no conscious thought. I would disagree that people are too focused on being better people.
People who are polite, as in considerate of others, are focused on being better people. I wasn't referring to rude people.

People who are trained to be polite see opportunities to be polite; people who are trained to be opportunistic see opportunities to gain. You can't have it both ways and be good at either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
No.
blunt is a euphemism for rude uncooth people.
Blunt is a synonym for forthright. Polite, as I believe that you are using it, is synonymous with dishonest. Blunt is fearless and celebrates life; polite, as you are using it, is degrading and suffocates until only the most deceitful is left standing.

Quote:
I will take the west, any prairie states, or the northeast or northwest over the south.
I'll begrudgingly take Northeast and Midwest; you can have the rest. I can't distinguish between them.

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 05-26-2012 at 05:46 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 04:48 PM

419 posts, read 466,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Two pet peeves of mine are people slamming doors on others right behind the and not giving up seats for the elderly/disabled.
Totally agree with you on the seats issue.

I don't like people slamming the door on others right behind them, but I don't like suddenly becoming the door person either for 10 minutes while everyone goes flying out without so much as an acknowledgement that I'm holding the door open as a courtesy. A nice, simple "Thank you" is always in order.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:28 PM

66 posts, read 69,508 times
Anyone who feels "threatened" by a persons personality that attacks in numbers. It just confirms you're a candy@##!!

Old 05-26-2012, 06:38 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
An article that I read had the following listed as top 10 rude behaviors.

1. Discrimination in an employment situation
2. Erratic or aggressive driving that endangers others
3. Taking credit for someone else's work
4. Treating service providers as inferiors
5. Jokes or remarks that mock another's race, gender, age, disability, sexual preference or religion
6. Children behaving aggressively or bullying others
7. Littering (including trash, spitting, pet waste)
8. Misuse of handicapped privileges
9. Smoking in non-smoking places or smoking in front of non-smokers without asking
10. Using cell phones or text messaging in mid-conversation or during an appointment or meeting.

While I agree with all of these, they are not my top 10.

These three would make my top 10 are
1. Unsolicted opinions (before you say it - CD is soliciting for opinions)
2. People who still use checks at check out lines
3. People who put their feet or shoes on the top of seats at a movie theater.

Does anyone disagree with any of these or would like to add other behaviors?

#1. federal and state goverment I agree. private business should be allowed to discriminate for what ever reason they want. it is their busniess. if you dont like it you dont have to shop there.
2/3/4 I agree
5, 1st amendment rights.
6. i agree
7, trash i agree, pet poop in the grass or spitting i dont care.
8, handicap spots? make the fine 25,000 and a suspension of license for 1 year and it will go down really fast.
9. smoking is not illegal, if you dont like smokers near you, then move. no i dont smoke.
10, who cares

checks? I still use checks when I have to to, not too many places accept gold or silver for payment yet.
if you dont like it when people do that, go to another register. sorry, I dont have any credit cards or debit cards.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:56 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,805,860 times
Well, this thread reinforces my desire to live in Japan, the Philippines, or New Zealand.

It also reinforces what I've long thought: we're becoming a nation of rude a**es.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:28 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
An article that I read had the following listed as top 10 rude behaviors.

1. Discrimination in an employment situation
2. Erratic or aggressive driving that endangers others
3. Taking credit for someone else's work
4. Treating service providers as inferiors
5. Jokes or remarks that mock another's race, gender, age, disability, sexual preference or religion
6. Children behaving aggressively or bullying others
7. Littering (including trash, spitting, pet waste)
8. Misuse of handicapped privileges
9. Smoking in non-smoking places or smoking in front of non-smokers without asking
10. Using cell phones or text messaging in mid-conversation or during an appointment or meeting.

While I agree with all of these, they are not my top 10.

These three would make my top 10 are
1. Unsolicted opinions (before you say it - CD is soliciting for opinions)
2. People who still use checks at check out lines
3. People who put their feet or shoes on the top of seats at a movie theater.

Does anyone disagree with any of these or would like to add other behaviors?

What is really rude...

Those that are on a power trip, who worry more about what everyone else is doing, when they need to worry about themselves.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:44 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Then go to a different line. I think I'll start using checks agains just to **** off people with attitudes like yours. lol
I think I'll take a little longer at filling mine out.............sheez now check writing is an offense

Maybe, one shouldn't go to the store in a hurry, wonder what some think of the poor women standing in front of them with 5 kids to get throught the check out........get a babysitter before she shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm not that young. I just turned 50. But these guys that are like 10-15 years older than me? Maybe it's a local thing but they are complete dinks really often.

Just the other day my wife and I were at Lowes looking at something, I think patio chairs when this 60 some year old comes down the aisle with his shopping cart full speed and I'm convinced he would have rammed our cart if I wouldn't have quickly moved it. Just a complete jerk. What do you have to be in a hurry about? Late for Days of our Lives I was thinking.
I think rudeness comes in all ages and I have to say, I see it mostly in the male gender......... Don't get me wrong women can be too, it just seems to be more guys get grumpy old and young!!

Last edited by wildflower82; 07-22-2012 at 10:01 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 11:46 AM

47 posts, read 91,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I'm not offended nor do I use checks. I don't hold some grudge on "grandma" for using them though as that is what they are accustomed to. Maybe you should show a little respect for your elders. There will come a time when you are the one holding up the line with your out dated debit card and I hope you get the same respect you give.
Well said. I don't understand the attitude over people using checks. I don't, but my mother who is stuck in her ways still does, and will use them until the banks stop accepting them. It irks me to think that someone could be getting pissy in line behind her. Sounds like a few people need chill pills. If you don't have the time to wait in line for other shoppers, find a better time to shop. Or use the self-checkout. Or pay someone else to run your errands. Life is just too short to spend it annoyed about the old lady in front of you writing a check (who is blissfully unaware that her behavior is aggravating you). In fact, life is too short to get upset about most of these things.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:49 AM

47 posts, read 91,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What is really rude...

Those that are on a power trip, who worry more about what everyone else is doing, when they need to worry about themselves.
Amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies