Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 10:04 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Make that two.
Count one more!!!..

Old 05-26-2012, 10:10 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,313,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The average Nigerian in Nigeria does far worse than the average African American in the US. In fact an uneducated African American can make more money than a professional in Nigeria. That means that the Nigerians who come to the US are not average. You will also notice that when you go to Africa most African Americans there do far better than the average African. Its like saying African Americans in Africa are Diplomats, State Department officials,Educators, CIA,Corporate wokers, higher ups in the Military and the Average Nigerian is living on $2.00 per day.
Not all immigrants are brainiacs but are usually hard workers. I wonder how many Nigerians are in our prisons? Nigeria like India and china were (and still) nations rifed with massive red tape that hinders entrepreneurship and purports corruption. Things like property rights, contracts and rule of law are largely absent in many nations. Not all Nigerians are achievers, the Ibo tribe is notable for success largely due to them embracing the English pub schools while other groups were wary of the system due to fear of being proslytyzed (sp?).

Old 05-26-2012, 10:12 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
I wonder how many Nigerians are in our prisons?
There are a lot more black Americans in America, so it makes sense that there are more black Americans in American prisons.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
OK. It doesnt matter to me.
But it should since northern Africa is much different from western afica in history, culture, geography, etc.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
There are a lot more black Americans in America, so it makes sense that there are more black Americans in American prisons.
And Nigerians?

Old 05-26-2012, 10:17 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Who's to say those features arent prescribed to that sub culture? for ex. Italian Americans are historically rare on welfare rolls, while puerto Ricans are Even worse %-wise than AAs----ditto for the American Indian.
I never said otherwise. I'm just reiterating the point that it draws heavily from American culture with certain aspects to different degrees.

In this case the influence of any non-American culture compared to that in cultures primarily composed of more recent immigrants is relatively low, as would be expected given the relevant historical events, namely the timeframes as well as the forced and brutal relocation and therefore hindered ability to maintain a connection with the original cultures.

Quote:
Not all immigrants are brainiacs but are usually hard workers. I wonder how many Nigerians are in our prisons? Nigeria like India and china were (and still) nations rifed with massive red tape that hinders entrepreneurship and purports corruption. Things like property rights, contracts and rule of law are largely absent in many nations. Not all Nigerians are achievers, the Ibo tribe is notable for success largely due to them embracing the English pub schools while other groups were wary of the system due to fear of being proslytyzed (sp?).
Beat me to it. Apples to oranges.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Bottom line...immigrants are hungry and work hard to succeed. Americans are entitled and lazy....just ask our black president.
That's assuming our ancestors were high achievers in the first place. Highly doubtful ESP. In Appalachia and other parts of the south.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:21 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Did I say your name or even allude to you in any way? No. So why are you so jumpy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Make that two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Count one more!!!..
Three peas in deteriorating pod, how appropriate.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:21 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
That's assuming our ancestors were high achievers in the first place. Highly doubtful ESP. In Appalachia and other parts of the south.
You are on to something there. Tho the "hillbillies" ARE dropping off cause they don't usually have big families compared to 50 years ago.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:26 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
Thank you, an actual intelligent post on the subject. It is practically useless for people who's only agenda is to prove how black Americans are the most despicable people on the planet to answer this question.

I know this thread is about Africans vs American blacks, but many people are comparing foreign blacks vs American blacks anyway so I will present some factors in this thread.

I will answer this question from my experience as a black immigrant. When we first came to America we stayed with a family whom we knew "back home", until we became situated and my parents were able to find jobs. We let two people stay with us for nearly half a year we knew from our home country.

Which neighborhood you migrate to plays a role in how you turn out when you come to America. I notice many foreign blacks who end up in Brooklyn neighborhoods such as Bushwhick, Brownsville, Bed-Stuy, East New York, and even somewhat Flatbush fall into the same trap as their Black American counterparts. My family members who mostly lived in Upper Middle class neighborhoods when they came over had a much easier time in this country than my cousins and I who spent years in the hood.

One thing I noticed when I was in undergrad was the foreigners, who were here on student VISAS, worked a lot harder than us foreigners who had been in the US for years. Many of us who had been in the States had become "Americanized" and had adopted complacency to a degree.

I will agree you do not have the "white man is holding me down" mantra as much with many black foreigners as compared to American blacks in this country. Because these immigrants(my family) tend to be the most ambitious. But believe me when I say this; foreign blacks, especially Caribbeans who have lived in America for a significant period, do not trust whites anymore than black Americans do. Nor do they see white people in a better light than black Americans do. This is manly kept among ourselves(when we converse among other blacks).

We also have to keep in mind that Black American culture is a sub-culture of American culture. In American culture, people like "Snooki", Kim Kardashian and many other talentless reality stars who have never done anything significant in their lives can become famous and the biggest news for many Americans, even when the country is going to hell. Only in America, and to a lesser degree the U.K. foolishness like these "reality shows" can become the most important thing for so many. Mindlessness is not exclusive with American blacks.
Well it's clear you have become quite "Americanized" or more accurately "African Americanized". So you are a Caribbean immigrant so I'm certain the points I've made before are not new to you. You probably have heard variations of it since you were a child. Yet here you are working hard to side with the victim hood brigade that African Americans seem so invested in. Why are Caribbean Americans more successful than African Americans when they both descend from slaves?

JSTOR: Social Forces, Vol. 74, No. 3 (Mar., 1996), pp. 911-930

Caribbean Americans and Afro-Americans | Trinidad Express Newspaper | Commentaries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies