Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:02 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Damn...comparing a podunk like Joplin with New Orleans? LMAO....you can't make this stuff up.

Joplin, even under the greatest conditions is a joke. It's a NOTHING town. It was a nothing town before. It'll be a nothing town when it's all repaired. Ever seen downtown Joplin before the storm? Nothing but boarded up stores and old buildings.....all gone in favor of those big box stores and chain restaurants over on 32nd street.

One street in New Orleans is better than the whole of Joplin. Please.
Thats really harsh on Joplin, but New Orleans needed the help because it was part of about 200 miles of coastline that was destroyed, not 8 sq miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 08:12 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
With little federal aid? I'm guessing you didn't bother to read the article you linked to, did you?
Not near as much as NO, and the artical states, insurance picked up most of the tab.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
According to the article, the issue is that the rebuilding is being done with pretty much ONLY federal aid. The state has a fund, but has not tapped it yet and has instead pushed the cost off onto the feds. People in Joplin have been just as reliant on FEMA, including living in FEMA trailers and the like.

I've no idea what this has to do with New Orleans, other than as a veiled attempt to yet again somehow blame people for their own misfortune.
Yes, what happened in Joplin is horrible, but, there is absolutely no comparison between this and the damage caused by the flooding in New Orleans nor is there any comparison to the size of the area and overall number of people who were impacted.

And, clearly, someone hasn't been paying attention to what has transpired in New Orleans since that disaster.

Rebuilding efforts yielding results in New Orleans - USATODAY.com

Local Rebuilding Efforts Underpin New Orleans' Recovery | Planetizen
You are incorrect, from the artical...

Quote:
Insurance policies are expected to cover most of the $2.8 billion in damage. But taxpayers could supply about $500 million in the form of federal and state disaster aid, low-interest loans and local bonds backed by higher taxes, according to records obtained by The Associated Press and interviews with federal, state and local officials.

And I don't blame them for passing some of the expense off on the feds. hell the people of NO did nothing but clammer for federal aid and many had no insurance. So many people in NO were dependent on uncle sam, they had no idea how to do anything for themselves. Why in the hell didn't they have any insuance?

Old 05-27-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Hurricane Ike did a number on it too. The entire island was flooded to depths of over 10 feet in some places. Only a very few square blocks just behind the middle of the sea wall were left dry.

I was there the day after they opened the road and spent the next 8 days mucking out flooded homes and I can tell you in all honesty that it was as bad as New Orleans after Katrina, and I was there too. Many houses had water in the second floor.

But, since it was just a "temporary" flood caused by storm surge, some here seem to think that makes it different from New Orleans. It isn't. Flood damage is flood damage and it doesn't take much water in your house to ruin your life. By some people's reckoning here, we oughta also abandon Des Moines, IA and Minot, ND because levees hold back the rivers in those cities. And, they flooded. I worked those disasters too and can show you neighborhoods in both cities were the water went over the roof tops and stayed there for a long time.

Yet, only New Orleans is singled out for condemnation. I wonder why?
Quote:
Could it be that New Orleans is perceived as a community of lazy, welfare-sucking black people?

Naw...that couldn't be it.
Geez, I never thought of that.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:00 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
The people of Joplin are rebulding and with little federal aid, New Orleans is still mostly a zhithole, why?

Costly Joplin tornado raises questions about federal aid
We know you want to make this a white black issue, whites can do, blacks cannot, so get it going already. Be forewarned, the scale of destruction isn't comparable. New Orleans suffered a hundred times the damage Joplin did. Hurricanes cause wide spread wind damage, tornadoes cause localized damage. Levees failing and flooding a huge segment of the city for weeks, where did that happen in Joplin? The whole gulf coast region was devastated by the hurricane, infrastructure, roads and bridges were destroyed for hundreds of square miles.

This topic has got to be the stupidiest thing I've seen here in months.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
We know you want to make this a white black issue, whites can do, blacks cannot, so get it going already. Be forewarned, the scale of destruction isn't comparable. New Orleans suffered a hundred times the damage Joplin did. Hurricanes cause wide spread wind damage, tornadoes cause localized damage. Levees failing and flooding a huge segment of the city for weeks, where did that happen in Joplin? The whole gulf coast region was devastated by the hurricane, infrastructure, roads and bridges were destroyed for hundreds of square miles.

This topic has got to be the stupidiest thing I've seen here in months.
You can interpet how you like, but yes, N.O. damage was much more wide spread, but why did so many walk away and never return? Joplin is a smaller area but the whole town was destroyed and most people decided to stay and rebuild. If N.O. was not a major tourest destination, I fear it would be another zhithole ghetto.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:24 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
You can interpet how you like, but yes, N.O. damage was much more wide spread, but why did so many walk away and never return? Joplin is a smaller area but the whole town was destroyed and most people decided to stay and rebuild. If N.O. was not a major tourest destination, I fear it would be another zhithole ghetto.
Joplin is a small town. Most people there have probably lived there all their lives and don't know any other way to live. From the map, it looks like any city of any size (Tulsa or Kansas City) is a long way from Joplin.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:04 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,411,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Damn...comparing a podunk like Joplin with New Orleans? LMAO....you can't make this stuff up.

Joplin, even under the greatest conditions is a joke. It's a NOTHING town. It was a nothing town before. It'll be a nothing town when it's all repaired. Ever seen downtown Joplin before the storm? Nothing but boarded up stores and old buildings.....all gone in favor of those big box stores and chain restaurants over on 32nd street.

One street in New Orleans is better than the whole of Joplin. Please.
Why do you have to down one town to make a point about another? New Orleans isn't much to write home about compared to most cities its size in America. Maybe it compares favorably to Detroit, that's about it.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:09 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,411,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
Joplin is a small town. Most people there have probably lived there all their lives and don't know any other way to live. From the map, it looks like any city of any size (Tulsa or Kansas City) is a long way from Joplin.
The same can be said for New Orleans. Most of the people, in particular the Blacks in the destroyed lower 9th ward have lived there all their lives for multiple generations.

"“The Forgotten People of New Orleans”: Community, Vulnerability, and the Lower Ninth Ward," by Juliette Landphair, Journal of American History

Quote:
The narrative of two Ninth Wards emerging from rebuilding debates also distinguishes the area’s history. Over time, the seemingly disparate characterizations of vibrant community and isolated backwater actually reinforced each other as the struggle to define the Ninth Ward, particularly the Lower Ninth Ward, shaped how the area grew, flourished, and suffered. Amid municipal neglect and increasing impoverishment, Lower Ninth Ward residents developed cross-generational neighborhood bonds that encouraged activist pursuit of better public services and nourished cultural traditions singular to New Orleans. In the postindustrial Crescent City, the spread of crime and poverty particularly afflicted the Lower Ninth Ward, but while homicide rates were among the highest in the city, so were home ownership rates.[3] The Lower Ninth Ward story presents a complex challenge to residents and government officials alike: The area’s unsteady terrain and social marginalization encouraged the development of close-knit communities of people who helped create New Orleans, yet those very geological, economic, and social vulnerabilities present enormous obstacles to residents’ returning, despite their desire to do so.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:13 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,541 times
New Orleans also sat full of water for weeks.
It was over three weeks before I was even
able to get to my house. Joplin was able to
begin the clean up the next day. Most tornado
victims have insurance. Many victims of flooding
do not have flood insurance. Me, I'd have to live
on a big ol' hill before I'd forgo flood insurance;
the less you need it, the cheaper it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies