Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 10:46 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
back to actual OPs topic.

Toyman what do you say about Tucson?
I say we need a way to identify nutcases. Something proactive, to identify them before they commit crimes. To lock them up before they hurt themselves or someone else. Don't you agree?

For every Tuscon shooting, how many cases like this are there that you never read about?

Quote:
September, 2011
NRA Country superstar Craig Morgan was whitetail hunting when he received a terrifying phone call— his daughter’s home was invaded. Luckily, Morgan had taught her well. “My daughter was smart enough to go in her bedroom and lock herself in, and she had a pistol, so she was waiting if he came through,” Morgan explained. Rather than face an armed citizen, the man fled the home. “I’m grateful that we live in a country where we as citizens have the right to bear arms and protect ourselves,” Morgan said. “God bless the U.S.A.” (www.nracountry.com, 06/29/11)
Already on edge following a burglary that occurred just days prior, Omar Medina was awakened by loud noises coming from somewhere inside his home. He quickly retrieved his handgun and stepped out into the hallway. An intruder was in the living room. Medina fired three shots. The intruder grunted loudly, ran out the door, collapsed and died. Police say the man had an extensive criminal record and was a suspect in other burglaries. (The Item, Sumter, S.C., 05/28/11)
Peggy Melton returned home unaware that a man and woman were in the act of burglarizing the residence. As she entered a bedroom, she discovered the male intruder, who possessed a gun illegally. He threatened to shoot her. Fortunately, Melton has a concealed-carry permit and had holstered a handgun earlier that day. She drew the gun and fired three shots, striking the burglar. He ran from the home and his accomplice sped them away in a stolen truck. Police caught up with the suspects and took them into custody. (News-Leader, Springfield, Mo., 06/23/11)
How’s this for a bold, criminal act? A thief who burglarized a residence and stole the homeowner’s Lexus returned in the stolen ride intent on further burglary. He broke into the home, perhaps knowing the owners were out of town. What he surely didn’t know was that their son was house-sitting and armed with a shotgun. When the son heard the suspect enter the home, he took up his shotgun and confronted him. The intruder cursed and reached toward his back as if to draw a weapon. The son shot the intruder three times, killing him. Neighbors say the area, home to many military retirees, has been hit hard by burglars, and residents have armed themselves in response. “I don’t feel scared, I feel violated,” said neighbor Mary Gramm. “I have a gun.” (San Antonio Express-News, San Antonio, Texas, 05/23/11)
When a homeowner’s dogs began barking in bizarre fashion, he grabbed a handgun to investigate while his wife called the police. The victim of two burglaries in recent weeks, the homeowner cautiously approached his detached garage. He confronted two prowlers lurking inside, drew his handgun and told them not to move. Initially it appeared the suspects would wait for police, but suddenly the desperate men charged. The homeowner made quick work of the criminals, opening fire and connecting with each shot. One man fell dead. The other lay wounded. The homeowner grabbed a medical kit and provided assistance to the wounded suspect until police arrived. (The Chronicle, Centralia, Wash., 05/23/2011)
A 9-1-1 dispatcher received a call at 4:34 a.m. that someone was trying to break into a 4-year-old girl’s bedroom. The girl’s mother remained on the line, but before police could arrive, the suspect threw a concrete block through the glass portion of a back door. Fortunately, the caller’s husband had a Plan B—one that did not involve waiting for police to arrive. He quickly retrieved his .22-cal. revolver and fired three shots through the broken glass window. Moments later the brazen attacker returned and stuck his hand through the window. The husband fired two more shots, this time striking the suspect in the head and abdomen. When police arrived, the suspect was sitting on the back porch covered in blood. At press time he was listed in critical condition at the hospital. (The Baxter Bulletin, Mountain Home, Ark., 06/14/11)
It’s a familiar scenario: An armed citizen with a concealed-carry permit is likely once again to have saved multiple lives. Several customers were doing business inside a pawn shop when a man walked inside, pointed a gun toward the ceiling and announced a robbery. Did the gunman intend to shoot the clerk? Would he take hostages? We’ll never know, because a customer with a concealed-carry permit promptly drew a pistol and shot the robber in the stomach. The suspect has been charged with aggravated robbery. (KSAT-TV, San Antonio, Texas, 06/22/11)
How many people would be dead without private ownership of firearms, particularly handguns? How many more murderers on the streets? Rapists free to attack again. Armed robbers free to put more innocent people in terror?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 10:56 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,663,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBandit View Post
It actually works out less in your favor than one would think. The element of supprize usually trumps showing off and just getting blasted right off the bat. If you want to open carry and it's legal where you live, go right ahead. I'm sure not going to. I already know two off duty Deputies who are no longer with us because of it. P.S. Don't work security off duty in a coin and jewlry shop.
you didn't understand what i wrote. I don't think people should be able to conceal guns because that puts OTHER people in danger. Think about it. You got a conceal carry and you say some ****, maybe the guy punches you and you end up having to shoot him. If he saw you had a gun the whole time, the situation would probably be avoided. But my comments are for a perfect world. Open carry and you'll be harassed until you conceal it.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:00 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
syg makes sense but in a perfect world conceal carry doesn't. You should be forced to open carry so everyone knows what kind of playing field they're playing on.

too bad open carry is an invitation for trouble and panic. your fellow citizens will rat you to the cops because they think what you're doing must be illegal and then the cops will harass you. so it's much easier to conceal but then you could people who abuse the system.
Really, it depends on where you live. In a good portion of this country, people don't have a wild phobia about an inanimate object. In open carry states, particularly in smaller communities, open carry is common, and no one thinks anything about it. It's primarily urban areas where you have nuts that get their panties in a wad when law abiding people carry a tool.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Really, it depends on where you live. In a good portion of this country, people don't have a wild phobia about an inanimate object. In open carry states, particularly in smaller communities, open carry is common, and no one thinks anything about it. It's primarily urban areas where you have nuts that get their panties in a wad when law abiding people carry a tool.
Nonsense. More people carry in urban areas than any other part of the country. Hands down.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:17 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I am black and have a CCP and a weapon. I do feel that a large majority of black people are not against "castle" laws especially but the SYG on the street is a different matter since people assume that black (men especially) are criminals when we are not and we don't want to be shot due to someone's feeling of being threatened by our presence. So I do feel that this fear plays into black people supporting more stringent gun laws. I also feel that since a large percentage of black people live in major cities and those cities may have a lot of gun violence that many feel that it is better to take all guns off the street except those held by police officers. I can understand that sentiment, but I feel it would be better to encourage more black people to be legally armed themselves. FWIW, my family and most black people I know support Castle laws and legal gun ownership so to think that we don't may not be true. I have not read any statistics on this particular subject but just from my life experiences and living in different areas and being around black people, I have not seen a huge amount of black people take such an adamant stance against guns, that is far from the truth IMO.
Best post I've read around here in a while. +1

Most of the virulent anti-gun drivel is just politicians looking for something to blame for problems they've failed to address and don't really want to touch. It's just easy lip-service.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:20 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
I don't think we should get rid of Stand Your Ground laws. I think they should be used properly and looked at more carefully. If someone is actually trying to hurt you, then of course I am in favor of you standing your ground and defending yourself. However, shooting someone because they "look" like a threat is not a reason to shoot someone. This is where the worry starts. Someone might determine another person to be a threat based on skin color. It could happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies