Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 04:08 PM

147 posts, read 145,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
The Roman Catholics who initially came to the Americas did so in the name of God and Glory. What's wrong with that? They were conquistadors! Conquerors! And? Their method of evangelizing was to give people the choice of converting or dying. A shameless bold-faced lie.
I thought this was your degree field?

Your statement above is a disgraceful lie and a calumny.
Tell it to the martyrs who evangelized the Americas at the price of their own lives.

And while you're at it, please document for me just one example of a forced conversion. Just one example will do, Mr. Big "this is my degree field" George. Forced conversions have always been considered invalid in the Catholic Church.

The rest of your post is just more hysterical anti-Catholic rot. I've got better things to do.

Last edited by Charles45; 05-31-2012 at 04:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 04:22 PM

197 posts, read 299,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Ask this in the religion forum - it is off topic - and read the Bible - why you expect me to do your work for you is a mystery. You would have loved it when their was no printing press and the catholic church controlled what the people heard concerning the Scriptures because the people were mainly illiterate. Now you can read and the Bible is in every bookstore - pick up a copy and read it - or go to a church - they will give one to you.

Used Dodge # 31354. You started proselytising here , don't cut and run with that old excuse at this juncture.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:24 PM

197 posts, read 299,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
There is no inconsistency.

I have a life outside of this forum - which happens to be POLITICS not religion - and you have two eyes, two legs, and a brain. Why should I explain this to you when you cna read it yourself - especially when I expect that I would be wasting my time if I did(I'm a little skeptical about your intentions to really learn anything)? I refuse to go through a rehash of a topic which Jesus and Paul covered extensively - and which you can read if you bothered to do so. If you won't read the Bible - you can go to the religion forum or ask a pastor.

In other words you're completely at a loss to address the issue. Oh and hey run that " learn something" line on *me* , we'll find out how much *you* know about the Bible.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:27 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,382,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles45 View Post
I thought this was your degree field?

Your statement above is a disgraceful lie and a calumny.
Tell it to the martyrs who evangelized the Americas at the price of their own lives.

And while you're at it, please document for me just one example of a forced conversion. Just one example will do, Mr. Big "this is my degree field" George. Forced conversions have always been considered invalid in the Catholic Church.

The rest of your post is just more hysterical anti-Catholic rot. I've got better things to do.
Is this what Catholics do when somebody disagrees with you?

Tell me about Charlemagne. Did he, or did he not, seek to forcibly convert the Saxons? If that's fiction, how do you explain the Massacre of Verden of 782. How did those 4500 Saxons die? And why?

Would you be willing to explain was was going on in Spain during the Post-Reconquista Era, when Sepherdic Jews and Mudejar Muslims were given the choice of Baptism or death?

Perhaps you could explain away the Encomienda in The New World? Or the Spanish Requirement of 1513?

Then please explain to me - again - how the Roman Catholic Church is all about loving God and serving mankind. Thanks!

Old 05-31-2012, 04:31 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,071,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why do you resort to baseless, inane allegations in lame attempts to make your argument?
That should be obvious.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:33 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,060,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninAmok View Post
Used Dodge # 31354. You started proselytising here , don't cut and run with that old excuse at this juncture.
I did not bring religion up - others did and I responded to them - don't paint me as the instigator.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:33 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,071,093 times
Quote:

Tell me about Charlemagne. Did he, or did he not, seek to forcibly convert the Saxons? If that's fiction, how do you explain the Massacre of Verden of 782. How did those 4500 Saxons die? And why?

Would you be willing to explain was was going on in Spain during the Post-Reconquista Era, when Sepherdic Jews and Mudejar Muslims were given the choice of Baptism or death?

Perhaps you could explain away the Encomienda in The New World? Or the Spanish Requirement of 1513?

Then please explain to me - again - how the Roman Catholic Church is all about loving God and serving mankind. Thanks!
Lets not forget the Spanish Inquisition.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:34 PM

147 posts, read 145,029 times
Quote:
Nice dodge, Big George. You're the historian. You made an outrageously false claim about the Catholic Church in the Americas. You were called on it. You have been asked to provide just one example. Until you do that, your credibility is shot.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:34 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,060,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninAmok View Post
In other words you're completely at a loss to address the issue. Oh and hey run that " learn something" line on *me* , we'll find out how much *you* know about the Bible.
I can address the issue just fine - this is not the forum to do so in - and I will not hold the hand of people who are lazy and especially not someone who dismiss the Bible as a "fairy tale".

Old 05-31-2012, 04:35 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,259,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
All these laws are unconstitutional.

In addition to which, your proposal would violate the constitutional requirement of a republican form of government, since you clearly do not agree that it is the right of the people to choose their government.

Fortunately, yours is at present a minority view.
"People" can't vote or hold office.
Only "citizens" can vote or hold office.
And the "Right of the citizens to choose their government" = democratic form, not the republican form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies