Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 06:15 PM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
This whole "leadership" thing is overblown.

People need to make better personal choices on an individual level.
I'm all for personal responsibility. I've been championing that here on these forums. It starts at home. My point is that I don't think Al Sharpton is championing personal responsibility. I haven't heard him champion individual responsibility, and on topics like absentee fathers. Bill Cosby is concerned about the Black community. He cares. I think Bill Cosby would make a better leader. Just my personal view.
We need leaders who are going to acknowledge both that there is still systematic racism, and at the same time, acknowledge that issues like absentee fathers, high dropout rates, and black-on-black murders are major problems that need to be solved. Michael Nutter, mayor of Philadelphia, has said something about this.

What I meant by leaders is that the only time I ever hear anything from Al Sharpton is when a hate crime has been committed against Blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 06:19 PM

119 posts, read 99,666 times
[quote=stationplay;25337650]Remember... Johnny knocked my tooth out. He's the reason my tooth is gone not bad oral hygiene. Bloodstains are hard to get out of fabric and if you can get them out at all your lucky. No matter what happens next, every action has a reaction and every cause has an effect. Johnny is the reason for my tooth being gone, and if you ask me why my fake tooth falls out every now and then i would have tell you the story about how Johnny knocked my tooth out. Not that im harping on the situation, because i may not have seen Johnny in years. But again when asked about my tooth and why it is missing, i would have to tell the truth because It's simply what happened. Johnny knocked my tooth out.

Now if the audience that im telling the story to happens to be related to Johnny, Or if that audience already has a preconceived perception of me because i have missing teeth, that's when the conflict,confusion and arguing begins because to them im just another guy with no teeth bad mouthing Johnny. All the while completely over looking the fact that at one point in time, johnny really liked to punch people in the mouth. and mind you, you know all of this.

Nice try, but we have more than one shirt, so pull on a clean one and move on.
No, I don't know all of this, never (figuratively speaking) punched someone in the mouth. Just tired of the apparent SCAPEGOAT syndrome.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:23 PM

200 posts, read 279,030 times
[quote=yogini_g;25339020]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stationplay View Post
Remember... Johnny knocked my tooth out. He's the reason my tooth is gone not bad oral hygiene. Bloodstains are hard to get out of fabric and if you can get them out at all your lucky. No matter what happens next, every action has a reaction and every cause has an effect. Johnny is the reason for my tooth being gone, and if you ask me why my fake tooth falls out every now and then i would have tell you the story about how Johnny knocked my tooth out. Not that im harping on the situation, because i may not have seen Johnny in years. But again when asked about my tooth and why it is missing, i would have to tell the truth because It's simply what happened. Johnny knocked my tooth out.

Now if the audience that im telling the story to happens to be related to Johnny, Or if that audience already has a preconceived perception of me because i have missing teeth, that's when the conflict,confusion and arguing begins because to them im just another guy with no teeth bad mouthing Johnny. All the while completely over looking the fact that at one point in time, johnny really liked to punch people in the mouth. and mind you, you know all of this.

Nice try, but we have more than one shirt, so pull on a clean one and move on.
No, I don't know all of this, never (figuratively speaking) punched someone in the mouth. Just tired of the apparent SCAPEGOAT syndrome.
Since this is a hypothetical scenario this can go on and on. Like I and many others said up thread, change isn't going to come in a generation or two and that's ONLY if we are comparing the change to whatever YOUR standards are.

70% without fathers, er excuse me 70% being raised in a non traditional nuclear family situation for various reasons doesn't mean that that 70% are playing SCAPEGOAT when asked for an explanation for the phenomenon. lets not forget that about 75% of that same group are doing just fine WITHOUT living up to YOUR standards of the nuclear family DESPITE what your news tells you. About 99% of that group are quite irritated being called scapegoats when these questions arise. If you didn't want an answer, why the hell would you pose the question?

As for Al Sharpton and other leaders, yeah they irritate me as well, but if nobody was around to stand up for the little things we would still be in Jim Crow,women would be barefoot and pregnant and gays would still be shipped off to mental institutions.

I speak for a generation that is quite as tired as you are. Completely post civil rights, post segregation. A generation that is tired of hearing and seeing comments like yours. like a mother at a bad child, those comments completely point fingers at people all in the name of privilege, as if you have all the answers without acknowledging the source. The nerve. To pass a community off as scapegoats because they simply answered a question or tried to explain a scenario? Who are you and what do you represent? Is it the change that you want to see? or do you represent the bigoted mindset that BY YOUR STANDARDS got us here in the first place and has us stuck crying about it. That's what your saying right? Your wrong. It's this type of thinking that keeps us ALL OF US in chains rather its black versus white or rich versus poor. Problems start somewhere. Open your mind. You are not the gate keeper of all things clandestine and knowledgeable. The world ain't gonna look like your suburb if and when utopia gets here.

As to why many black households don't have fathers, there are many reasons and factors. Except it. Also except that the end result may not be what you want it to be. A lot of the problems black americans face do not all stem from not having a non nuclear family.

Im usually pretty level headed in these forums but the finger pointing at my community for stereotypical scenarios and problems is getting very irritating. Like i've said in other threads, i just want to eat my fried chicken in peace.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:40 PM

[quote=stationplay;25341471]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogini_g View Post

Since this is a hypothetical scenario this can go on and on. Like I and many others said up thread, change isn't going to come in a generation or two and that's ONLY if we are comparing the change to whatever YOUR standards are.

70% without fathers, er excuse me 70% being raised in a non traditional nuclear family situation for various reasons doesn't mean that that 70% are playing SCAPEGOAT when asked for an explanation for the phenomenon. lets not forget that about 75% of that same group are doing just fine WITHOUT living up to YOUR standards of the nuclear family DESPITE what your news tells you. About 99% of that group are quite irritated being called scapegoats when these questions arise. If you didn't want an answer, why the hell would you pose the question?

As for Al Sharpton and other leaders, yeah they irritate me as well, but if nobody was around to stand up for the little things we would still be in Jim Crow,women would be barefoot and pregnant and gays would still be shipped off to mental institutions.

I speak for a generation that is quite as tired as you are. Completely post civil rights, post segregation. A generation that is tired of hearing and seeing comments like yours. like a mother at a bad child, those comments completely point fingers at people all in the name of privilege, as if you have all the answers without acknowledging the source. The nerve. To pass a community off as scapegoats because they simply answered a question or tried to explain a scenario? Who are you and what do you represent? Is it the change that you want to see? or do you represent the bigoted mindset that BY YOUR STANDARDS got us here in the first place and has us stuck crying about it. That's what your saying right? Your wrong. It's this type of thinking that keeps us ALL OF US in chains rather its black versus white or rich versus poor. Problems start somewhere. Open your mind. You are not the gate keeper of all things clandestine and knowledgeable. The world ain't gonna look like your suburb if and when utopia gets here.

As to why many black households don't have fathers, there are many reasons and factors. Except it. Also except that the end result may not be what you want it to be. A lot of the problems black americans face do not all stem from not having a non nuclear family.

Im usually pretty level headed in these forums but the finger pointing at my community for stereotypical scenarios and problems is getting very irritating. Like i've said in other threads, i just want to eat my fried chicken in peace.
I understand what you're saying about if there weren't people standing up for the little things. I understand institutional racism still exists and should be found. That said, there are other issues to tackle as well. What we need is a new revolution. Not one fought with guns, but with new ideas, new leaders.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 PM

[quote=green_mariner;25341697]
Quote:

I understand what you're saying about if there weren't people standing up for the little things. I understand institutional racism still exists and should be found. That said, there are other issues to tackle as well. What we need is a new revolution. Not one fought with guns, but with new ideas, new leaders.

Yeah man your so right.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:27 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,846,335 times
Quote:

LMAO. The bolded was pretty funny.

Reading your posts and I could be wrong, but I gather you don't feel that the 72% statistic is necessarily a "bad" thing for our community? I'm constantly reading threads on here about this statistic, about the problems associated with single moms. I mean even in the relationship forum there are people(men mainly) spewing a lot of hatred toward mom's that are raising children on their own. Whenever this topic is brought up, it almost always results in negative commentary about the AA community--the men and the women procreating--and then the results on the children. Obviously the way this is talked about--not just amongst white folks, but amongst blacks as well, indicates that on some level there are issues with this family dynamic. I don't think it helps to talk about this issue on a mostly white forum, because of the bashing that goes on, but I've noticed that even in AA forums, their is blaming, fingerpointing, and then the talk of how it negatively impacts the community. Hearing from you--that you don't necessarily feel that it's completely negative is very interesting.

I have friends that are single mom's, my mom was a single mom, my sister in law was a single mom. All of them did the best they could in their circumstances, but most admit that it was far easier when they got married and had "help" and had the traditional family dynamic. The friends I have that are still single, are so tired, stressed, over-worked, etc and need help.

That being said, one thing the 72% statistic does not take into account are the homes where the woman is classified as single because she isn't married, but the baby daddy lives with her and they cohabitate. I know plenty of friends(and I even started a post about a recent friend) who are knocked up (LOL) without being married and they are included in the 72% statistic when the fathers are still active parts(and want to be) in the child's life. I wish the stats covered that.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 PM

[quote=stationplay;25341823]
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Yeah man your so right.
I'm just trying to come up with ideas on how to combat the problems that exist.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:45 AM

119 posts, read 99,666 times
Quote:

I for one have never implied that all black people should all live in the suburbs and try to emulate whites. I have also stated that single mother by no means = bad mother.

You, by the way, are making ASSUMTIONS about me and how I live my life; apparently the very behavior you despise.

People, white or black can live life anyway they choose but must be responsible for their life choices. I was referring to the smaller percentage of black women (four kids in tow, absent baby daddies) that have "the nerve" to expect handouts, a better life, and the "entitlement" to blame white people as a whole, because they can't keep their legs together and continue to make bad choices leading to the bad lives they complain about. I have to wonder why, since black people are not all the same; they all defend the “problem blacks” so.
I thought this thread was about absent black fathers. You certainly can't include the totality of black social injustice, in a thread titled Absent Black Fathers.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 AM

[quote=yogini_g;25346210]
Quote:

I for one have never implied that all black people should all live in the suburbs and try to emulate whites. I have also stated that single mother by no means = bad mother.

You, by the way, are making ASSUMTIONS about me and how I live my life; apparently the very behavior you despise.

People, white or black can live life anyway they choose but must be responsible for their life choices. I was referring to the smaller percentage of black women (four kids in tow, absent baby daddies) that have "the nerve" to expect handouts, a better life, and the "entitlement" to blame white people as a whole, because they can't keep their legs together and continue to make bad choices leading to the bad lives they complain about. I have to wonder why, since black people are not all the same; they all defend the “problem blacks” so.
I thought this thread was about absent black fathers. You certainly can't include the totality of black social injustice, in a thread titled Absent Black Fathers.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

it is about absent black fathers but apparently anyone who tries to offer up any valid reasoning is a scapegoat making excuses for all of the social ills of black america.

And to sunkisses87 yeah im not necessarily saying it's a good thing but saying that our family structures are a little different does bring up some interesting points to the conversation. Its also a relatively new statistic. Just trying to focus on something other than the DIRE BLACK COMMUNITY AND IT'S 70 ODD PERCENT OF BABIES BORN OUT OF WEDLOCK thing. doom darkness destruction baggy jeans hip hop newports white flight blah blah blah. It would be more interesting to discuss how our culture as a culture other than harping on the same ole devastating news for decades.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:13 PM

684 posts, read 1,122,617 times
Children out of wedlock is a sign typically associated with lower intelligence. IQ distributions show that for some populations, the curve is shifted leftwards. That does not mean there are not blacks 1 or even 2 SD above the norm, but on average, their IQs linger around 80.

I have never read that distribution ratios differ between races, only average intelligence. So 2.5% of blacks are likely to have IQs above 120 just as 2.5% of whites do (and all other groups), the issue is that the AVERAGE IQ of said population is drastically lower, resulting in broken families, bad grades, crime, social issues etc.

Read the Bell Curve. Tis a classic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies