Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 10:42 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
What's the deal here? Is it more right for an alcoholic to ram his car into a van and kills family because alcohol is legal and marijuana is not?

Watch out, he'll call your alcohol vs pot argument weak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 11:04 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,677,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, it is for the benefit of the citizens. If a pothead rams his car into a family van and kills the family, it is the family who paid the price for the stupidity of the lawmakers who allowed legalization.
Sorry, but....
Someone who is smoking just pot is not going to ram a car into anything.
A person on perscription pills, even OTC cold medicine, and dare I say....alcohol are more likely to have this scenario occur.

You seem to think that people who smoke pot are the same as a bunch of drunks.
Well, we are not. We are far from it. A stoner won't drive if he's too stoned. He's not in any hurry so there is no motivation to get behind the wheel at that moment.
Stoners are WAY more responsible than drunks.

A test was done comparing drunk and stoned driver. The drunk drivers did much worse than the stoned drivers.
No surprise to me there. But here is the interesting part, which to me says a lot-
Drunk drivers thought they did better than they really did.
- so that means a drunk is so out of it that they are dillusional and have a false confidence.
Stoned drivers thought they did worse than they actually did.
- so that means stoned drivers are concerned, humble, and willing to admit to error.

So again...it's unlikely someone who is stoned is going to ram a car into something.
Show me statistics on how many auto accidents resulting in death that are caused by a person who is only stoned.....good luck.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Sorry, but....
Someone who is smoking just pot is not going to ram a car into anything.
A person on perscription pills, even OTC cold medicine, and dare I say....alcohol are more likely to have this scenario occur.

You seem to think that people who smoke pot are the same as a bunch of drunks.
Well, we are not. We are far from it. A stoner won't drive if he's too stoned. He's not in any hurry so there is no motivation to get behind the wheel at that moment.
Stoners are WAY more responsible than drunks.

A test was done comparing drunk and stoned driver. The drunk drivers did much worse than the stoned drivers.
No surprise to me there. But here is the interesting part, which to me says a lot-
Drunk drivers thought they did better than they really did.
- so that means a drunk is so out of it that they are dillusional and have a false confidence.
Stoned drivers thought they did worse than they actually did.
- so that means stoned drivers are concerned, humble, and willing to admit to error.

So again...it's unlikely someone who is stoned is going to ram a car into something.
Show me statistics on how many auto accidents resulting in death that are caused by a person who is only stoned.....good luck.
I believe I saw that on BBC America! I think the documentary was called "Should I Smoke Dope?" They did a test in which the obstacles were dolls, and she had to weave in and out of them. She did it stoned, and was driving very slow, and cautiously. Then she tested drunk, and she ends up squealing her tires going through the course too fast, and ends up beheading one of the dolls! Ahh yes... liquid courage.

I don't advocate driving while on either, but just because it is legalized does not give stoners a free pass to hop in the car and go for a joyride! Anymore than when someone drinks excessively and gets behind the wheel. You're asking for trouble.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:02 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,126,292 times
Finn must have brain damage and can't use critical thinking skills. All we need is another 5 to 10 years and let most of the older voting prohbitionists die off. It's not a matter of if, but when folks. The time has come, the time is NOW.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Finn must have brain damage and can't use critical thinking skills. All we need is another 5 to 10 years and let most of the older voting prohbitionists die off. It's not a matter of if, but when folks. The time has come, the time is NOW.

I agree that the time is NOW. It's as good of a time, as any. However; insulting them isn't necessarily the way to go either. It does nothing to help our cause.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:31 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Then he should no doubt pay for the consequences for the crime! AS WITH ALCOHOL!!!! How come this is so hard for you people to understand?! Why should I who is responsible enough to know not to drive when I'm partying, have to suffer, because some dumba** can't take responsibility for their actions! The stupidity is on the perpetrator, and ONLY the perpetrator!
I think I have repeated this 8-9 times here, but I know the drugs dull the mind (as well as reaction time), so let's try one final time. The problem with driving while high is the fact that there are no effective tests for it. In the example above, the unconscious pothead would be taken to the hospital, where they find marijuana in his blood. When the wakes up the next day, he will insist he was not high at the time of the accident, and that the fact that there was marijuana in his blood means nothing, because it is a legal substance, and it stays in the blood for a long time after consumption, even weeks. The killer walks. With alcohol, they would draw some blood from the unconscious driver, and they would know exactly how much alcohol he had in his blood. The killer goes to prison.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:33 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Sorry, but....
Someone who is smoking just pot is not going to ram a car into anything..
Pot gives immunity to accidents? How interesting.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:08 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,677,517 times
Quote:
I think I have repeated this 8-9 times here, but I know the drugs dull the mind (as well as reaction time), so let's try one final time. The problem with driving while high is the fact that there are no effective tests for it. In the example above, the unconscious pothead would be taken to the hospital, where they find marijuana in his blood. When the wakes up the next day, he will insist he was not high at the time of the accident, and that the fact that there was marijuana in his blood means nothing, because it is a legal substance, and it stays in the blood for a long time after consumption, even weeks. The killer walks. With alcohol, they would draw some blood from the unconscious driver, and they would know exactly how much alcohol he had in his blood. The killer goes to prison.
BS!
A field sobriety test tests ones motor skills no matter what the intoxicant maybe.
And again I ask- show me where a stoner who is only high on marijuana has caused a fatal accident.
Also- if there is an accident where someone has died or is gravely injured, the person who caused the accident is going to pay the price even if sober.
It's called involuntary vehicular manslaughter.
A supposed stoner would be punished.

Pot gives immunity to accidents? How interesting.
No one is immune from accidents.
A stoned person does not get into a car and drive erratically, ie; 'ram' into another vehical.
What I am saying is that a stoned person behind the wheel is more rare than a drunk person behind the wheel, and more rare than a person on pharma-drugs.
A person who is too stoned to drive is more likely to sit it out before getting behind the wheel.
And I will say it again- I live in pothead paradise, northern California where the small towns exist because of the marijuana industry. Per capita, there are more stoners than non. All the fatal accidents have been due to excessive speed, bad road conditions, and drunk driving.
Being in an area like this, I can tell you that I have seen many offer another a hit off a joint and it was turned down, by a fellow stoner, and the response, "No thanks man. Smells dank, but I have to drive. Gotta nug I can take home?"

Tell me- what drunk turns down a drink because he has to drive?

Old 06-20-2012, 01:18 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,984 times
Quote:
Our bried conversation revealed that you do have comprehension issues (whether you admit it or not), and I just proved to you that it is you who is uninformed, not me.

People can have careers, even successful ones, while addicted to drugs, so that proves nothing. Kurt Cobain had a successful career while being an addict. Of course we all know how that ended.
Wow.......unbelievable. You apparently are stuck in the past with the reefer madness that has clouded your thinking. To you, everything is obviously black & white. If you smoke, you're an addict, if you don't you're not. By your logic, anybody who drinks a beer is an alcoholic.

Doesn't matter, the generations are changing and the majority of the country now supports legal recreational marijuana. You're very steadily becoming irrelevant.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:20 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,984 times
Quote:
No, I supplied dozens of studies from around the world, not just the US.
None peer reviewed, all written by organizations with a vested interest in prohibition. Nothing objective & impartial. What about that do you not understand? No credibility...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies