Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 04:44 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Lots of gay men drink beer, even the cheap "manly" brands, and many watch football too - hey wait a second, they even PLAY football sometimes! Wow, imagine that. They can also be friends with straight males, as my straight baseball-playing brother can attest to (his best male friend is gay). Just as not all straight guys are into beer, football & farts, not all gay men are opposed to those things. Heck, one of my BGFs can chug a beer in seconds, and then fart the room empty.

Generalize much? Even Jerry Falwell would say your stereotypes are tired, LOL.
I wasn't saying that gay men can't be tough guys. I'm saying that it seems like that a large percentage of them are just one of the guys. However, because of cultural stereotypes and pressure in the guy world to "not" be gay, nobody acts like those types exist, because it would ruin some people's image of what they think it means to be gay. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 06:47 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I wasn't saying that gay men can't be tough guys. I'm saying that it seems like that a large percentage of them are just one of the guys. However, because of cultural stereotypes and pressure in the guy world to "not" be gay, nobody acts like those types exist, because it would ruin some people's image of what they think it means to be gay. That's all.
Stereotypes, are stereotypes the harm comes when we try to fit everyone into those stereotypes.
Are all southerners "rednecks"
Are all African Americans "ghetto"
Are all New Yorkers "tough guys"
Are all feminists "militant lesbians"
Are all lesbians "butch"
Are all gay men "fairies"

Sure, some of each group may fit the stereotype, but generally most don't.
Maybe we should look at people as individuals, and not as a group.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:01 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's been suggested and rejected, but you're always welcomed to post your sub-forum recommendations on "About the Forum" - //www.city-data.com/forum/about-forum/
While we're making ridiculous sub forum suggestions, how about an "Obama hate" forum, a "Liberals are evil" forum, a "Democrats are stupid" forum, etc.

Of course, if we created all the sub-forums conservatives might want, Politics and OC would close seeing as those seem to be the only threads here.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:32 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,735,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Are all feminists "militant [man-haters]"
Correct.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:01 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,194,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Says the poster that participates on EVERY FRIGGING gay thread.
I think he's being a little overly defensive there. I wonder why.

Quote:
That is nothing but stereotyping....My homosexual friends are tougher than most of the straight guys I know, and worked at one of the most dangerous jobs on earth...Both were fishermen on the north Pacific.
I was wondering what that Discovery Channel commercial for Brokeback Crab Boat was all about.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
Correct.
No. That is the stereotype of feminists.

You don't have to hate men to want equality for women.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:17 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I think that was pretty clear to everyone who read the opening post, and then reacted. Unfortunately, it seems most people were already formulating their response before they let their brains process the opening post.

TV does an excellent job reinforcing those stereotypes. Look at shows like Will and Grace, or ***** Eye, or Nate Berkus. Sure, those people exist, but so do average guys who just happen to like other guys.

The extreme homophobia in many parts of the country means that people who can reasonably pass themselves off as straight do so, which does nothing to break down the stereotype that all gay men are limp-wristed interior decorators who dress well. In more tolerant parts of the country, it's fairly common to find out gay guys who don't fit the stereotype.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,921,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Sounds like a lot of generalizing. Most gays are not feminine or flamboyant. Not all gays have a sense of fashion. Plenty of gay guys like football and beer.

And plenty of straight guys like shopping and going to shows, especially with female companionship.

The idea that every straight guy is some neanderthal sports watching beer chugging macho man stereotype is ridiculous.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:30 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,454,615 times
Then you really should meet some of my male gay friends. They don't meet the stereo-type since so many have given them. They work out, yes they do, some are very buff, good-looking, very handsome, have manners and class.

My daughter says all the time about some of them, dang, are you sure they ae gay.

And all straight guys don't look or act the same way either. I am more into sports and a huge fan of sports then most guys i know.

What does this all prove. And if they all acted the way you seem to want them too, or look a certain way, will they be more accepted so easily?
The ones that make a name for themselves, i believe are those that most definitely flaunt it.

They are not all like that at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies