Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 12:41 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,078,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Many, if not most of the OWS have gone to college. If you took the time to enroll in college, even community college, you would realize that one needs to complete High school (equivalency) in order to attend
Thanks, but I already went to college unlike many of the Democlowns on here..... graduated too..... unlike the failures in life who want a free handout and feel rape and other violence are normal behavior (OWS in other words).

Not very educated behavior by the ones who you blindly follow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 12:42 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,301,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Thanks, but I already went to college unlike many of the Democlowns on here..... graduated too..... unlike the failures in life who want a free handout and feel rape and other violence are normal behavior (OWS in other words).

Not very educated behavior by the ones who you blindly follow
University of Phoenix alumnus?

Old 06-09-2012, 03:29 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,769,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
This reminds me of a line from my favorite Pixar movie, The Incredibles. When everyone is special, no one is special (paraphrase).
Haha! You're quote reminded me of when we had a group from Russia over here to see our facility. They went in the conference room. I walked in and the odor was intense!!!! Then I thought "if everyone smells than no one smells". Sorry, nothing to do with the topic.
On topic, this teacher was right. Hard work bring success, not simply being oneself.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:50 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,147,371 times
Thumbs up High School Teacher give students a much needed reality check

Wellesley High School Teacher David McCullough, Jr. Tells His Students ‘You’re Not Special’ | Video | TheBlaze.com

It's about time someone told teens this. Kids my age have no respect and don't listen to anything, and it's worse now than it has ever been because of the "everyone deserves a trophy" mentality, it there were more teachers like this, I would be in public school.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:30 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,030,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Wellesley High School Teacher David McCullough, Jr. Tells His Students ‘You’re Not Special’ | Video | TheBlaze.com

It's about time someone told teens this. Kids my age have no respect and don't listen to anything, and it's worse now than it has ever been because of the "everyone deserves a trophy" mentality, it there were more teachers like this, I would be in public school.
I clicked on that link and read the entire address. Very well done.

"As you commence, then, and before you scatter to the winds, I urge you to do whatever you do for no reason other than you love it and believe in its importance. Don’t bother with work you don’t believe in any more than you would a spouse you’re not crazy about, lest you too find yourself on the wrong side of a Baltimore Orioles comparison. Resist the easy comforts of complacency, the specious glitter of materialism, the narcotic paralysis of self-satisfaction. Be worthy of your advantages. And read… read all the time… read as a matter of principle, as a matter of self-respect. Read as a nourishing staple of life. Develop and protect a moral sensibility and demonstrate the character to apply it. Dream big. Work hard. Think for yourself. Love everything you love, everyone you love, with all your might. And do so, please, with a sense of urgency, for every tick of the clock subtracts from fewer and fewer; and as surely as there are commencements there are cessations, and you’ll be in no condition to enjoy the ceremony attendant to that eventuality no matter how delightful the afternoon."

Old 06-09-2012, 02:30 PM

57 posts, read 50,902 times
Quote:
1. it's not just kids that act like this nowadays. many full grown adults in their 20's and 30's are spoiled brats who think that they can do nothing wrong (and news flash: many of they have kids now, too.)

2. that comment about "if there more teachers like this, i would be in public school" comes across and very arrogant and ignorant. i find private schools to overrated in comparison to public schools, and only liked by wealthy suburbanites who think that they're kids are better than everyone else and deserve to be sent somewhere special away from the general population.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendaleMiami View Post
1. it's not just kids that act like this nowadays. many full grown adults in their 20's and 30's are spoiled brats who think that they can do nothing wrong (and news flash: many of they have kids now, too.)

2. that comment about "if there more teachers like this, i would be in public school" comes across and very arrogant and ignorant. i find private schools to overrated in comparison to public schools, and only liked by wealthy suburbanites who think that they're kids are better than everyone else and deserve to be sent somewhere special away from the general population.
I'm home schooled. It's not arrogant, its true. What I should have said was "public/private school", because there really is no difference; private schools have uniforms public schools don't, that's about it. Private schools can sometimes be worse because they are more spoiled, but kids nowadays, in private and public schools, have entitlement issues. And as you said, so do some adults.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:40 PM

78,543 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Quote:
I'm home schooled. It's not arrogant, its true. What I should have said was "public/private school", because there really is no difference; private schools have uniforms public schools don't, that's about it. Private schools can sometimes be worse because they are more spoiled, but kids nowadays, in private and public schools, have entitlement issues. And as you said, so do some adults.
...and many kids that are homeschooled have social issues.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:03 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,196,400 times
Quote:

Every generation complains about younger people. Perhaps you might want to be giving them an apology for the absolute lack of opportunity and massive debt that they'll have to deal with while they pay your social security and medicare.

Quote:
Actually, why not have a look at opinions and voting patterns. The elderly almost always vote on what is immediately important to them with little regard to the future of the country and the economy. You could easily argue that that's acting spoiled.

Those in their 20's and 30's have to do more school, deal with more debt and likely work harder than their parents ever did.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-11-2012 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: response to deletion

Old 06-10-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Every generation complains about younger people. Perhaps you might want to be giving them an apology for the absolute lack of opportunity and massive debt that they'll have to deal with while they pay your social security and medicare.
Actually, I am part of the generation that is inheriting "the absolute lack of opportunity and massive debt". The difference between people like me and the rest of my generation is I don't whine about having the responsibility of putting this country back on track. I accept it, and I plan on dealing with it.

Quote:
He was giving a counterpoint to a rather rosy picture given to home schooling.
Not once did I say home schooling was "rosy" or even great. Sometimes it really sucks, but it is a hell of a lot better than dealing with the crap in a public, or private, high school (and for the record, I have tried a private HS and public HS, both were so much worse than homeschooling)

Quote:
Actually, why not have a look at opinions and voting patterns. The elderly almost always vote on what is immediately important to them with little regard to the future of the country and the economy. You could easily argue that that's acting spoiled.

Those in their 20's and 30's have to do more school, deal with more debt and likely work harder than their parents ever did.
Boo freakin hoo! Cry a river, build a bridge and get over it.

You are a prime example of the whining generation, that I, unfortunately, am apart of. "Oh no, I actually have to get off my ass and do something in order to have a good life. Boo hoo, my parents and grandparents had it so much easier, look what I have to deal with." Don't you ever get bored thinking like that?

You have to work hard to get what you want and/or need now. Thats just the way it is. People in every generation have had to work hard. It a matter of choice; do you want to be lazy and therefore a loser, or do you want to work as hard as you possibly can and be successful?

Based on this post, I'm gonna take a guess and say that you don't agree with this teacher. Guess you are the type of person he is talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies