Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 PM

56 posts, read 45,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Especially when voting and our leadership get nothing done and keep none of their promises anyways?
When the biggest issue is Obama's Birth Certificate,........I'd say yeah!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 06:38 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,395,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No. We're not too obsessed with politics. We're too obsessed with ourselves. Politics is being ruined by people who are convinced they, and only they and those like them, have the "right" answers to everything. Everybody else is a traitor, a conspiracist or a fraud.

No wonder we can't get anything done. We've turned into a nation of frightened, selfish little twits who throw a hissy fit when they don't get their way.
Well said and 100% on the mark.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,273,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Considering the present state of our country, I wish more people were engaged in politics. There is a difference between educating oneself in political affairs of the country and spouting off partisan propaganda. I know a lot of people who are very well versed in political affairs but rarely talk politics.

FWIW, I don't think the workplace is appropriate for political discussions at all. Unless, of course, your workplace is directly involved politics.
That's the bigger problem. 90% of the people I hear discussing politics don't know what they're talking about. It's unbearable to to listen to.

When I lived in Europe, I noticed that you could have really sharp political discussions because they're so well informed. Americans are a bunch of boobs for the most part. They toss around ridiculous accusations with abandon. And they're quick to repeat talk radio nonsense as if its the gospel.

So I'd rather just avoid it and cut off all attempts to discuss it immediately. I don't wanna hear it.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:20 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,979,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's the bigger problem. 90% of the people I hear discussing politics don't know what they're talking about. It's unbearable to to listen to.

When I lived in Europe, I noticed that you could have really sharp political discussions because they're so well informed. Americans are a bunch of boobs for the most part. They toss around ridiculous accusations with abandon. And they're quick to repeat talk radio nonsense as if its the gospel.

So I'd rather just avoid it and cut off all attempts to discuss it immediately. I don't wanna hear it.
That's my experience too. I have had a number of Europeans work for me that now live back in Europe. These are ordinary middle class people. They have a far more in-depth grasp than their counterparts in the U.S. who are ill-informed, reality TV watching, low-information voters.

You can tell when an American has a strong political opinion because they'll express it. But ask them why they believe what they do and you'll get nothing but vague generalities backed up by more opinion, instead of facts.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:47 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,600,875 times
Quote:

It's like every time I turn on the television a new political expert seems to come about. The news channels are as much garbage as reality television. It does not matter weather they have a conservative or liberal bias.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:51 PM

6,794 posts, read 5,676,344 times
some are, some aren't. NO different than sports.
Fans tune in to see their favorite team play...

Old 06-14-2012, 01:57 PM

59,324 posts, read 27,496,729 times
Quote:
Yep. Americans are consumed with it. I hate people like that. They see every Damn thing through a political prism. It's annoying as hell.

I've banned it from my section at work. It was getting out of hand. I never discuss it off the net and I've got no use for people that do. Effin' boneheads.
So much for freedom of Speech!

I am sure many people have no use for you with that attitude.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:57 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,981,062 times
Quote:
Yep. Americans are consumed with it. I hate people like that. They see every Damn thing through a political prism. It's annoying as hell.

I've banned it from my section at work. It was getting out of hand. I never discuss it off the net and I've got no use for people that do. Effin' boneheads.
Same here. This is the only place I discuss politics outside of whatever hot topic is on the news with my close family. That's it. Differing political opinions in real life is the fast track to making enemies, so it's best to avoid it, that's my policy

Old 06-14-2012, 02:01 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,981,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So much for freedom of Speech!

I am sure many people have no use for you with that attitude.
Big difference between a private place and public. Hell, the mods here are within their rights to restrict what kind of topics are allowed to be discussed on here, just like any other private employer. Public jobs, though, that's different. My state only bans political campaigning when you're on the taxpayer's time.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:15 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,038,212 times
Quote:

^^This^^. It's not politics per se. But people now see everything through that politica prism and are locked into a very rigid "us. vs. them" either/or, all-or-nothing, kind of thinking. That's exactly what the global elite wants. Keep people fighting with each other so they don't notice while the globalists monopolize the world's economy, food supply, political systems, health care, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies