Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 12:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
NO, you don't have to live with it or deal with it and that is where you go wrong. You are accepting of this by throwing up your arms in defeat and that very alarming.
Nope. Me throwing up my arms would be letting those kids talk Spanish in a mixed classroom.
I stand my ground with that..English only in school. Save your Spanish for home or off school grounds.

Just because I'm not ranting and raving doesn't mean I've given up.
I don't hesitate to ask for a manager when I cannot understand the clerk with the heavy Spanish accent and tell the manager that very thing.
I say in English "Sorry I don't understand you" when asked something in Spanish.

I've even been sarcastic to the border patrol cops when pulled over.."Say I need a passport now just to drive down to Port Aransas for a few days. Did you guys move the border or something ?"
"Sorry Ma'am, but we're just doing our job". Yeah..well your job is at the border, not 3 hours north of it OK ?

Old 06-14-2012, 12:25 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Nope. Me throwing up my arms would be letting those kids talk Spanish in a mixed classroom.
I stand my ground with that..English only in school. Save your Spanish for home or off school grounds.

Just because I'm not ranting and raving doesn't mean I've given up.
I don't hesitate to ask for a manager when I cannot understand the clerk with the heavy Spanish accent and tell the manager that very thing.
I say in English "Sorry I don't understand you" when asked something in Spanish.

I've even been sarcastic to the border patrol cops when pulled over.."Say I need a passport now just to drive down to Port Aransas for a few days. Did you guys move the border or something ?"
"Sorry Ma'am, but we're just doing our job". Yeah..well your job is at the border, not 3 hours north of it OK ?
Read your own posts then. If they don't have a defeatist attitude then I don't know what does. Just doing what you are doing is not enough. You are still accepting this nonsense from your own words and giving up on the country becoming a Spanish dominant one someday.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Read your own posts then. If they don't have a defeatist attitude then I don't know what does. Just doing what you are doing is not enough. You are still accepting this nonsense from your own words and giving up on the country becoming a Spanish dominant one someday.
Well chicagonut, if I were in charge....

All documents would be in English.
I would find money to fund Libraries to give English classes every day of the week.
All business would be conducted in English.
All schools would be English only.
We would have an official national language..English.

I'm not a defeatist. More like "Going Galt" because I'm just outnumbered.
Been dealing with this "global" everything for near 20 years. I was a software engineer and dealt with this crap since the mid 90's. Can't be on a global team and take orders from someone you can't understand now can you ? Some big companies think you can.

I'm tired of globalism. I hate globalism and what it is doing to all the sovereign countries around the world as well as our own. They are slowly losing their identities and their culture and now their laws are being questioned.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:07 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I speak English and am moderately fluent in Spanish. IMO, all Americans will either adapt to be fluent in both English and Spanish or they will get left behind in favor of the people that are.

If fully expect one day for the English only speakers to be hanging out in Home Depot parking lots looking for day labor jobs since they will not be employable elsewhere. It is already happening in the Soutwest, some jobs are off limits unless you are at least passable with Spanish.
I will just have to hope that I meet my maker before the Spanish speakers take over where I live. We have a buffer state between us and Texas that keeps a lot of illegals south of us.

100 years, or so, ago there were heavy numbers of Germans living in many small communities in my state but either they learned English or their children did in American schools. That was before PC from the progressive thinkers became so popular though and they all became Americans and most learned English. Today we are suffering from PC thinking in that we have allowed illegal aliens to bring their ways and their language in with them. It has been purely stupid and unthinking but we will not have to suffer from the thinking of "do gooders".

Old 06-14-2012, 01:43 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
What is funny, is that in Spanish speaking nations, kids take English classes. They come to the US, and we put them in ESL classes, and encourage them to learn Spanish. Does that make any sense?

What would we think if a student from a high school in Palo Alto, did a valedictorian speech in Mandarin? Many parents and families in Palo speak Mandarin at home. Oh, the difference is all of those parents speak English.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
It was HIS speech, he said what he wanted the way he wanted to and now it's over. It's not the first "controversial" grad speech there will be nor will it be the last. Some speeches have been made even after the school told them NOT to, this wasn't even a case like that. It wasn't even controversial except that some people couldn't understand it. There was nothing in the message that was a problem.
Those of us who are nothing more than spectators to this stuff just have to deal with it. End of story.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

You asked for it, you got it!

Leave the gate open for too long, unchecked illegal immigration, the proof is that "they" (Spanish speakers) will definitely think they can do whatever they want around here because nobody has ever enforced the law.

So the kid spoke entirely in Spanish for the benefit of his parents? Ridiculous.

"I wasn't making a political statement when I alienated English speakers with my speech. Nooooo not meeeee."
Wouldnt true freedom include the freedom of speech whether it be Spanish,English or any other language the person chose to recite the speech in..?

Old 06-14-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wouldnt true freedom include the freedom of speech whether it be Spanish,English or any other language the person chose to recite the speech in..?
Sure, if you want to excercise your freedom of speech to be rude. I would choose respect rather than rudeness when it comes to excercising my freedom of speech. He chose to snub his classmates and that was rude.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It was HIS speech, he said what he wanted the way he wanted to and now it's over. It's not the first "controversial" grad speech there will be nor will it be the last. Some speeches have been made even after the school told them NOT to, this wasn't even a case like that. It wasn't even controversial except that some people couldn't understand it. There was nothing in the message that was a problem.
Those of us who are nothing more than spectators to this stuff just have to deal with it. End of story.
The problem is that it sets a presidence for future grads to be rude and snub our national language. Where does it end? I am tired of the PC in this country that includes rudeness to others and disrespecting our national language.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:46 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
The problem is that it sets a presidence for future grads to be rude and snub our national language. Where does it end? I am tired of the PC in this country that includes rudeness to others and disrespecting our national language.
You call it snubbing our national language? Why? It was a graduation speech, not a political statement. There was nothing particularly special about him saying something in Spanish there. Don't worry, it's just that some of the smartest kids graduating speak more than one language and that's not likely to change in the future. And "setting a presidence" is a legal thing, not a kids in high school thing. He had permission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies