Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 07:26 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
It undercuts the assertion that his agenda is what America wants.
Quote:
However history judges the 535 men and women in the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate the past two years, one thing is certain: The 111th Congress made more law affecting more Americans since the “Great Society” legislation of the 1960s.

For all of its ambitious achievement, the 111th Congress, which may adjourn this week, also witnessed a voter-backlash driven by a 9.6 percent unemployment rate that cost Democrats control of the House and diminished their Senate majority.
No Congress Since '60s Makes as Much Law as 111th Affecting Most Americans - Bloomberg

And these folks want everyone to believe the nonsense they post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 08:08 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
No Congress Since '60s Makes as Much Law as 111th Affecting Most Americans - Bloomberg

And these folks want everyone to believe the nonsense they post.
You omitted this part of the article:
Quote:
“This is probably the most productive session of Congress since at least the ‘60s,” said Alan Brinkley, a historian at New York’s Columbia University. “It’s all the more impressive given how polarized the Congress has been.”

Old 06-28-2012, 05:08 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7
...Don't cry for the rich. They certainly could give two craps about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What's more pathetic is the middle-class shlubbs here defending the privileged position of the rich and the tax-policies that benefit them.

I can understand the rich and their lawyers making these arguments but it makes no sense for anyone else to argue on behalf of the privileged.
This thread is pretty old now but I have read most of it, and don't recall anyone either expressing sympathy for the rich, or averring to "argue on the behalf of the privileged." This is just an imagining from your brain. I don't think that way, and I doubt that any of the other posters on my side here do either.

My argument in post #1 was that this tax structure is inherently unstable, not that we need to protect the rich. Then in post #331 I argued that this structure tends to steer the best & brightest towards rent-seeking activities, a receipe for economic decline. In other words it is generally just bad economics.

You see the argument in terms of class envy, but I don't even think in those terms. I think this is a key distinction in the thought process between lefties and righties. Just find it interesting....

Old 06-28-2012, 05:12 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I happened to catch this from Mark Levin the other day, found it striking, and decided to look it up on line when I got home.
Mark Levin

Economist Mark J Perry found this interesting factoid. According to 2009 IRS data, the 400 top taxpayers in 2009 shelled out $16.1 billion, while the bottom 50% of taxpayers totaled $19.5 billion in taxes, or less than 25% more.

Something to cite next time someone claims that the rich don't pay their fair share in taxes.

Note also how inherently unstable this structure is. What happens if just a few of those 400 decide to take their money and go to some small offshore tax haven? Wouldn't it be more stable to have a much more broad-based structure instead of trying to drain so much dough from such a tiny group?
I don't see the problem, as the top wage earner's total income vastly exceeds the bottom 50%'s total earnings...Why so do the rich snivel and whine so much....Could it be greed?

Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I don't see the problem, as the top wage earner's total income vastly exceeds the bottom 50%'s total earnings...Why so do the rich snivel and whine so much....Could it be greed?
Actually, no. Did you look at the link? The top 400 had income of $81 billion, while the bottom 50% had income of $1.05 trillion. 81 Billion does not "vastly exceed" 1.05 trillion. Just the reverse.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
They don't. You don't hear or see them. The posters here are not "the rich".
They move their money as they see fit. You make laws on "x" then they move to "y".
In the end, the middle class gets stuck with the bill.

Just look at the AMT as an example. Supposed to just hit the rich but is now hitting most middle class filers.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Actually, no. Did you look at the link? The top 400 had income of $81 billion, while the bottom 50% had income of $1.05 trillion. 81 Billion does not "vastly exceed" 1.05 trillion. Just the reverse.
Actually, no. ADJUSTED gross income is a little different animal. Income, the top 400 likely earned twice what the bottom 50% earned.
Quote:
The true effective rate for multimillionaires is actually far lower than that indicated by official government statistics. That’s because those figures fail to include the additional income that’s generated by many sophisticated tax-avoidance strategies. Several of those techniques involve some variation of complicated borrowings that never get repaid, netting the beneficiaries hundreds of millions in tax-free cash.
How to Pay No Taxes: 10 Strategies Used by the Rich - Businessweek

Starting with the long list if deductions from income, here, 26 USC § 62 - Adjusted gross income defined | LII / Legal Information Institute

Muni bond income, not counted as "AGI".

Deferred income, such as what hedge fund manager john Paulson does.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Actually, no. ADJUSTED gross income is a little different animal. Income, the top 400 likely earned twice what the bottom 50% earned.

How to Pay No Taxes: 10 Strategies Used by the Rich - Businessweek

Starting with the long list if deductions from income, here, 26 USC § 62 - Adjusted gross income defined | LII / Legal Information Institute

Muni bond income, not counted as "AGI".

Deferred income, such as what hedge fund manager john Paulson does.
So you're claiming that the top 400 made 2.1 trillion, or roughly one seventh of GDP? Link? The data cited by Mark Perry is IRS data. Where is your data coming from?

Old 06-29-2012, 07:24 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
So you're claiming that the top 400 made 2.1 trillion, or roughly one seventh of GDP? Link? The data cited by Mark Perry is IRS data. Where is your data coming from?
IRS data you're citing only includes ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME. The wealthy take huge "adjustments" to their income before they report it as AGI. You didn't read the article????

Quote:
The true effective rate for multimillionaires is actually far lower than that indicated by official government statistics. That’s because those figures fail to include the additional income that’s generated by many sophisticated tax-avoidance strategies.
If your effective tax rate is lower because of "unreported" income schemes it stands to reason that your gross income is much higher than the AGI you report to the IRS.

Here are a few of those schemes that turn income into non taxed income, that is not counted as AGI.

The ‘No Sale’ Sale Cashing in on stocks without triggering capital-gains taxes.

The Skyscraper Shuffle Partnerships that let property owners liquidate without liability.

The Estate Tax Eliminator How to leave future stock earnings to the kids and escape the estate tax.

The Trust Freeze “Freezing” the value of an estate, so taxes don’t eat up its future appreciation.

The Bountiful Loss Using, but not unloading, underwater stock shares to adjust your tax bill.

The Friendly Partner With this deal, an investor can sell property without actually selling—or incurring taxes.

The Big Payback So-called permanent life insurance policies are loaded with tax-avoiding benefits.

The Option Option Stock options allow executives to calibrate the taxes on their compensation in a big way.

Last edited by buzzards27; 06-29-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Old 06-29-2012, 09:24 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
The middle class gets its "news" from the mainstream big-corporate media which has a stake in the outcome of elections (read "favors republican deregulation").
I wonder how many Americans even know about the "Norquist republican pledge" thanks to this sorry and biased reporting.
That absolutely floors me as well! There right wing has openly pledged 10 years ago not raise taxes for anyone under any circumstances (read wealthy). This makes no freaking sense, especially in the face of possible wars and natural disasters, but yet the sheeple follow the media manipulators over the cliff. So of it is racism but the majority of it is stupidity. The wealthy are no more than 2% of the population but has control over the mainstream media and therefore dictates to the weak what they should believe it......unbelievable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies