Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 02:36 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times

Advertisements

Thank God that I'm not one!

How does one choose tyranny over Constitutionalism?

The law of the land (The Constitution) trumps "good intentions" and "feelings".

It's right or it isn't....there is no middle ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 02:36 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
I love how the far left keeps labeling RINO Progressives as "moderate". If they were in the Democrat party they would be to the left of Blue Dog Democrats.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:38 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,454,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I love how the far left keeps labeling RINO Progressives as "moderate". If they were in the Democrat party they would be to the left of Blue Dog Democrats.
Well, I am apparently thought of as a moderate Republican by some posters here, and I am quite a bit to the right of Blue Dog Democrats - at least on fiscal issues, I can assure you. I'm against raising taxes on anyone - not even the "evil rich people" - and am for cutting taxes whenever possible. I am for cutting spending, but doing it in a sane manner and not cutting trillions in spending overnight (because that would wreck our economy). I am adamantly against illegal immigration. I am against public sector unions and am a strong supporter of Scott Walker; I am also for curbing the power of private sector unions through "right to work" laws and other measures. I am for privatizing Social Security over the long-term (but, again, certainly not overnight). I am quite a bit more liberal on some social issues, like gay issues and to some extent on abortion (but I do feel there should be restrictions on abortion), and I believe in global warming - but I wouldn't call myself to the left of Blue Dog Democrats.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 06-16-2012 at 02:46 PM..

Old 06-16-2012, 02:40 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times
My fear is Romney is pure corporate..bail outs and an (even more) destroyed middle class.

Religion is a non-issue for most intelligent people,
of course far right posters here try to paint that all liberals are sheep and "dislike Mormons" another non-issue in my book. If the GOP could clean up their image and rhetoric, it would be a start.

From what I read on here, this seems an unlikely utopia to envision.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:42 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,491,142 times
Moderate Republicans are being purged from the GOP, so why would exect to seem there here if there are few in the party itself?

Old 06-16-2012, 02:43 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michman1968 View Post
well here we go

Abortion: don't care one way or the other. But please don't insult me bye telling me its not a living thing

In my opinion that is a moderate position. For the record I agree with you and most call me a liberal.

Gay marriage: I want the gov out of the marriage business. Everything should be a civil union contract. Leave the religous ceremony to the church. But you can not make a church marry people they don't want to.
I think that is a pretty moderate conservative position

Taxes. Federal taxes should be 5% of wages to pay for the defense of this country. State taxes should be more and the power should be at the state level. Everyone should pay something to have skin in the game.
That is a far right position in my opinion. I don't have time to explain why.

Stop all corporate welfare. The taxpayers should not be building ball parks and stadiums for rich people. Hollywood should not be getting tax credits to do business in certain states. What a scam.
I agree with you. I have no idea as what kind of position that would put you in.

Welfare: Should be a very limited time that this is for. Its to help people not for them to live off us.
I think everyone would say the same thing. Certainly moderate position. Extreme Conservative would be no welfare.

Union: private yes......public NO Lets see the public union gives money to the very same people they are negociating with. LOL yeah that sounds fair. Private unions we can choose to buy ther poducts.....thats why I drive a VW Jetta.

That is probably a moderate position. Extreme right wing would be no unions.

anymore topics you want me to clear up

Church: only for weddings and funerals otherwise I would rather be fishing or watching fooball
I think by in large you are a moderate with the exception of taxes, which of course is the biggest issue.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:43 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

That's common at all levels of elective politics. I am asked all the time why I oppose things. My answer is usually "I don't think it's a very smart or good thing to do". The questioner then usually looks at me with that deer in the headlights look because many people believe that all things have to be unanimous or don't want to hear or consider another view or perspective.

Another good one is when someone's record is highlighted in the campaign and they get pissed off and claim their opponent is playing "dirty politics". In this area that charge is usually leveled by Democrats, although I've no doubt that it's universal.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
My fear is Romney is pure corporate..bail outs and an (even more) destroyed middle class.

Religion is a non-issue for most intelligent people,
of course far right posters here try to paint that all liberals are sheep and "dislike Mormons" another non-issue in my book. If the GOP could clean up their image and rhetoric, it would be a start.

From what I read on here, this seems an unlikely utopia to envision.
Well I think your fear is well founded. Most moderates, IMO, in congress are pure corporate. That is simply what it takes to get elected. He with the most money usually wins. But it is disingenuous to say that Obama is not fairly corporate as well. Just look at where his donations have come from.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Well, I am apparently thought of as a moderate Republican by some posters here, and I am quite a bit to the right of Blue Dog Democrats - at least on fiscal issues, I can assure you. I'm against raising taxes on anyone - not even the "evil rich people" - and am for cutting taxes whenever possible. I am for cutting spending, but doing it in a sane manner and not cutting trillions in spending overnight (because that would wreck our economy). I am adamantly against illegal immigration. I am against public sector unions and am a strong supporter of Scott Walker; I am also for curbing the power of private sector unions through "right to work" laws and other measures. I am for privatizing Social Security over the long-term (but, again, certainly not overnight). I am quite a bit more liberal on some social issues, like gay issues and to some extent on abortion (but I do feel there should be restrictions on abortion), and I believe in global warming - but I wouldn't call myself to the left of Blue Dog Democrats.
See post #31 as an example as to why you fall into the moderate range. For the far right there is no room for compromise. There is no middle ground. They are ideologues which are no different than the far left. My opinion on things can vary day to day based on new information that I receive. Ideologues and people on the far right do not change their positions. An example is My view on abortions which has evolved over time, mostly based on personal experience

Old 06-16-2012, 03:08 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times
I agree that he with the most money wins. A sad truth. Quite frankly Congress needs term limits and the corruption is beyind discouraging.

Ideologues, and the issues the far right chooses to espouse and harp on are counter-productive to our economy at this stage in the game, there is too much at stake , the economy is broken, and quite honestly I am sick of about the far rights anti- woman legislation (in Georgia for example). These are personal private matters, states and parties need to stay out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies