Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 10:34 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Who knows that?? Did the radio host know that? Does the guy around the corner know that? You are the one assuming not me.
Who knows what? I'm confused by your comment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I'm serious. You seem to be saying these terms are Ok?

Please tell us which of these words, if any, may be applied to Obama without incurring the usual howls of 'racism!!'
How old are you, and have you been living in a sheltered environment? I thought it was common knowledge that "monkey" is a derogatory term for black people, whereas I've never heard of "worm" or your other examples as being specifically racist. This isn't something we're just making up, these distinctions and racial pejoratives have been known for generations. In case you are unaware, maybe you can use this as a guide from now on: http://www.thebirdman.org/Index/Othe...ms&Origins.htm

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-20-2012 at 10:46 PM..

Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Who knows what? I'm confused by your comment...
You should pay attention to what you post then if you confuse yourself.

"Uhhhh, maybe because Bush is WHITE and "monkey" is a known pejorative for black people?"

You "assume" everyone knows this when in fact that is not true.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
You should pay attention to what you post then if you confuse yourself.
I didn't confuse myself, LOL - you confused me with the very non-specific statement, in reference to an entire paragraph I had written. Maybe you can be more clear next time?

Quote:
"Uhhhh, maybe because Bush is WHITE and "monkey" is a known pejorative for black people?"

You "assume" everyone knows this when in fact that is not true.
Apparently I was wrong about everyone knowing this, but in my 35 years on this planet I've never had anyone say "huh?" to that before... so I guess C-D posters are either somewhat unique, or oblivious to what actually IS a common racial slur. My bad.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:47 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
What wasn't specific about it? One who assumes like you do should have assumed what it was about to begin with right? lol

I don't hang around people who call anyone monkies so I don't have the experience saying huh like you do I guess.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:48 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Wow. People are actually arguing that this may not have been a comment on Obama's race. How thick-headed can you possibly be? When someone uses the word "monkey" to talk about a person who's black, that may or may not be about race, true. When someone makes it a point to specify they're comparing this black person to "the white guy"... you really should know "monkey" is meant as a racial slur

Old 06-20-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
What wasn't specific about it? One who assumes like you do should have assumed what it was about to begin with right? lol
Can't believe we're arguing about something this silly, but a statement like "who knows that?" after I made a number of points really IS non-specific... moving on now.

Quote:
I don't hang around people who call anyone monkies so I don't have the experience saying huh like you do I guess.
And you think I do hang around racists? As if!! I've never been associated with anyone who would use that term (in reference to a black person), but it's something I've always known from reading, watching television, movies, etc. Again, I thought it was simply common knowledge - just as I know the n-word is racist, even though none of my friends/family would dare to use such a word.

But now that you know, can you see my point about the difference between using it towards a black vs white person? I can't say for sure what the radio host's intentions were, but it clearly had a negative connotation that people noticed immediately... and before you head down another ridiculous line of questioning, yes I do still support her right to say whatever she wants. At the same time, I'm allowed to say it was a VERY poor choice of words!!

Old 06-20-2012, 10:54 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
How old are you, and have you been living in a sheltered environment? I thought it was common knowledge that "monkey" is a derogatory term for black people, whereas I've never heard of "worm" or your other examples as being specifically racist. This isn't something we're just making up, these distinctions and racial pejoratives have been known for generations. In case you are unaware, maybe you can use this as a guide from now on: Origins of Racist Terms

So you're saying calling Obama a pile of feces, a hemmorhoid, a tapeworm, or swine- is preferable to the term 'monkey' ?

How very, very odd...

Old 06-20-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Wow. People are actually arguing that this may not have been a comment on Obama's race. How thick-headed can you possibly be? When someone uses the word "monkey" to talk about a person who's black, that may or may not be about race, true. When someone makes it a point to specify they're comparing this black person to "the white guy"... you really should know "monkey" is meant as a racial slur
I know, right? I'd think they were being intentionally ignorant, but you never know with this crowd.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
So you're saying calling Obama a pile of feces, a hemmorhoid, a tapeworm, or swine- is preferable to the term 'monkey' ?

How very, very odd...
Please point out where I said it was preferable. I only said it was different, as racist terms are usually viewed as more inflammatory than some random insult. Neither is GOOD, but being racist puts somebody in a whole separate category of douchiness IMO. And when somebody immediately goes to the racial slurs, it's very telling of what kind of person you're dealing with there. I mean, I've called my non-white exes some nasty names, but NEVER went to the racist slurs... I'm just not capable of that mentality, I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies