Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 11:20 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,846,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
People can do what they want, if they want to waste money getting liberals arts degrees without going to grad school that's their business. But don't complain about not being able to find a job. Here's a list of the 15 highest paid professions. Show me which ones you can get with just a liberals arts bachelor degree, besides the sales manager job.

The highest paid careers in America today - Bottom Line
My "so" has one of the careers on that list! LOL.

Anyway, you're correct that most of the highest paid fields you simply cannot get into with only a liberal art bachelor degree. But that does not mean that there are not liberal art majors that did not make close to or over six figures in their careers at some point in time. I was a marketing coordinator for a large advertising company in Chicago, and there were colleagues that were making the same, or much much more (for those that had been at the company longer than me) than I was, and these were students that were English and Journalism Majors. There are some liberal art degrees that can be utilized in other professions without having to go on to get a master degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 11:31 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
Quote:
People can do what they want, if they want to waste money getting liberals arts degrees without going to grad school that's their business. But don't complain about not being able to find a job. Here's a list of the 15 highest paid professions. Show me which ones you can get with just a liberals arts bachelor degree, besides the sales manager job.

The highest paid careers in America today - Bottom Line
Some people are 'right brained' creative types, while most are 'left brained.' Those of us that are 'creatives' aren't much good in other fields, just like technically minded people find it hard to think creatively. I could never stick it in a work environment where I couldn't be creative, hell i've been sacked from every regular job I ever had because I wasn't 'suited' to it.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:51 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Blame the government for that(mainly liberals).
You may want to research the H-2 Visa before going any further. Here I'll you you a starting point:
The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_and_Nationality_Act_of_1952

Quote:
Truman vetoed the Act because he regarded the bill as "un-American" and discriminatory. His veto message said:[1]
Today, we are "protecting" ourselves as we were in 1924, against being flooded by immigrants from Eastern Europe. This is fantastic...We do not need to be protected against immigrants from these countries–on the contrary we want to stretch out a helping hand, to save those who have managed to flee into Western Europe, to succor those who are brave enough to escape from barbarism, to welcome and restore them against the day when their countries will, as we hope, be free again....These are only a few examples of the absurdity, the cruelty of carrying over into this year of 1952 the isolationist limitations of our 1924 law. In no other realm of our national life are we so hampered and stultified by the dead hand of the past, as we are in this field of immigration.

And then look under which presidents American jobs were given away and which tried to curtail it.
http://lawreview.richmond.edu/close-to-crucial/#_ftn14

Old 07-05-2012, 08:05 PM

170 posts, read 129,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
When people stop mortgaging away their homes and taking out $100,000 loans to go to college, and the government runs out of money to give away, then you will see another change.

Right now the college administrators are not having to cut costs or streamline. They've got a very willing consumer base that right now has been duped into thinking they should sell their souls because a college degree means big easy money for the rest of their lives.

A couple of years of college graduates finding out that it was an empty promise and now they've got loans they'll pay off the rest of their lives, will begin to change attitudes.
What about simply diverting funds from corporate subsidies and our over-sized military budget as well as? What about reducing sentencing on certain crimes as to reduce incarceration rates which reduces the budget on jails.

Nobody thinks that a college degree means "big, easy money for the rest of their lives".

We just realize that the current technological and social advances requires more skills, thus college or any other sort of post secondary education.

Our government used to be very adept at providing the right education level for the era of history it was in. Now, not so much.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:06 PM

170 posts, read 129,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
When people stop mortgaging away their homes and taking out $100,000 loans to go to college, and the government runs out of money to give away, then you will see another change.

Right now the college administrators are not having to cut costs or streamline. They've got a very willing consumer base that right now has been duped into thinking they should sell their souls because a college degree means big easy money for the rest of their lives.

A couple of years of college graduates finding out that it was an empty promise and now they've got loans they'll pay off the rest of their lives, will begin to change attitudes.
Also your post in no way actually addresses the point I was making, which is really confusing as to why you would choose my post to respond to.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:24 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Some people are 'right brained' creative types, while most are 'left brained.' Those of us that are 'creatives' aren't much good in other fields, just like technically minded people find it hard to think creatively. I could never stick it in a work environment where I couldn't be creative, hell i've been sacked from every regular job I ever had because I wasn't 'suited' to it.
I agree. I've always thought if you were excellent at both then you are a genius. I've only met a few people like that though. It amazes me that they can speak other languages, play instruments, among many other liberal art things, and yet be equally intelligent in math and science.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
??????? You had a plumber fly in from India to fix your toilet?
No, I hired the guy my parents have been using for decades from the town next to mine. I think you're mixing up outsourcing and offshoring. Most people do outsource their plumbing work to external plumbing contractors. I've never heard of someone offshoring it (outsourcing to another country).

Old 07-07-2012, 07:26 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Guess I will have to rethink going to Graduate School.

Interest on student loans will be paid off while students are in graduate school and then the interest rate will double...says this article.

No more grace period on student loans - chicagotribune.com
Good!!!! Now, pay your own damn way!!!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:11 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Maybe young people will take the hint and stop getting worthless, expensive, degrees. Get a degree that counts, go to a technical school, or learn a trade. Degree does not always = success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies