Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 03:59 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Most of us would prefer to hear less about Texas AND California....

Texas missed the housing bubble this time around. It is no surprise it is doing better than most. I would have liked to have seen folks bragging about Texas back when the oil bubble burst. That is precisely why the state has affordable housing now. That said I've got nothing against the Texans.

I gather there are a lot of smart people in Texas, but you would know that by the politicos you send our way. Bush II, DeLay, Perry....ugh..
At least the present White House idiot isn't from Texas. I'll take any of those you named over Mr. Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 03:59 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
I was here during the oil bust. It was admittable tough. We suffered in every area of the state both from a private business perspective and government as well. That struggle lasted about 2 years as I recall and we were back on track even though oil had not recovered. As for the politicians we have sent your way, I will be the first to admit they haven't been the greatest, but on the other hand, out of 49 other states you couldn't find someone with enough vision to defeat them? Really? If you are tired of hearing about Texas and California, then why out of curiousity did you open a thread that is clearly a Texas thread? Hmmmm,,,,, Interesting.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:01 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Da Doll-ass Cowboys suck.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:03 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
At least the present White House idiot isn't from Texas. I'll take any of those you named over Mr. Obama.
Well, that doesn't speak to highly for your candle power, I am afraid. Tom DeLay? Please tell me you're joking.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:06 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I was here during the oil bust. It was admittable tough. We suffered in every area of the state both from a private business perspective and government as well. That struggle lasted about 2 years as I recall and we were back on track even though oil had not recovered. As for the politicians we have sent your way, I will be the first to admit they haven't been the greatest, but on the other hand, out of 49 other states you couldn't find someone with enough vision to defeat them? Really? If you are tired of hearing about Texas and California, then why out of curiousity did you open a thread that is clearly a Texas thread? Hmmmm,,,,, Interesting.

Dunno. Morbid fascination?

Old 06-30-2012, 04:19 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,829 times
Quote:
Well, that doesn't speak to highly for your candle power, I am afraid. Tom DeLay? Please tell me you're joking.
Tom Delay over Obama? You bet your ass. Personally, I'd rather have a one-eyed cow with a bad bag as president rather than Obama. The cow would probably be more intelligent.

O: One
B: Bad
A: Assed
M: Mistake
A: America

Old 06-30-2012, 04:47 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not that Texas "is doing it right", it's that we didn't get caught up in the boom policies that lead to the big financial problems that other states have.

Are we doing good ? No, we're not. People are moving to the less affected states. But they seem to be congregating in the big cities. Austin is NOT what it used to be 5 years ago, that's for sure; seems more like Seattle which I guess is better than striving to be like SF

What you don't read about though is that there is a lot of complaining about services we don't have that are needed.
This coming from people that moved here because where they were had such financial burdens.

Just give us time to catch up to where everyone else is because that is the path we are going down right now.

Yep, they leave the states they ruined, then come here, rinse and repeat their same stupid behavior.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:29 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh some do think it's Utopia. Go over to the Austin forum and say something negative.
They will pounce on you like a pack of rabid dogs set loose in a butcher shop
Austin is perfect, perfect I tell you. There are no "high prices", crime is low to non-existent, they refuse to acknowledge that the bad section of town exists and schools are great.

FWIW, most of the natives have left.

Well, that is true. Crime is low, costs are reasonable and Austin schools are quite good.

What else do you have to ***** about?

Old 06-30-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Most of us would prefer to hear less about Texas AND California....

Texas missed the housing bubble this time around. It is no surprise it is doing better than most. I would have liked to have seen folks bragging about Texas back when the oil bubble burst. That is precisely why the state has affordable housing now. That said I've got nothing against the Texans.
Actually, housing has been cheap in Texas for several decades.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Da Doll-ass Cowboys suck.
Hmmmmm.... Tied for the most Superbowl appearances. Tied for second most Superbowl WINS.... tied for FIRST for the highest lifetime winning percentage.

Not too bad, and you say they suck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies