Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 12:27 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Times up.....

Ashd (atherosclerotic heart disease) Prevention

Prevention is the key to managing the risk for coronary artery disease. Other conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure and elevated cholesterol contribute to the development of coronary artery disease. These illnesses must be well-managed, in order to minimize the progression of coronary artery disease.

Lifestyle choices that help to prevent coronary artery disease include:
Regular exercise program.
Eat a healthy diet:
Low cholesterol diet.
Low fat diet.
Low salt diet.
Weight loss if you are overweight.
Stop smoking.
Avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
Reduce stress.
Avoid using nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories if you have had a heart attack before. Studies show an increase risk for heart attack and death in those who do. Ask your doctor for guidance with regard to these medications.
Ashd (atherosclerotic heart disease) Diet

Dietary guidelines to prevent coronary artery disease include:
Limit your intake of fat to 30% of your total calories.
10% to 15% of your total calories should be in the form of monounsaturated fats, such as olive oil, canola oil and peanut oil.
Consume only unsaturated fats that are low in cholesterol.
Consume less than 300 milligrams of cholesterol a day.
Consume less than 3,000 mg of salt per day. Consume less than 2,000 mg of salt per day if you have high blood pressure, kidney disease, liver disease or congestive heart failure.
Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables.
Avoid red meat.
Avoid fad diets.
Talk to your doctor about B vitamin supplements.
Talk to your doctor about vitamin D supplements.
Eat foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids:
Omega-3's are present in salmon, tuna, and mackerel.
Walnuts and flax seed are also rich in omega3's.
If you don't like fish, your local pharmacy has omega-3 supplements in capsule form.
Omega-3-acid ethyl esters (Lovaza)
Consume more fiber. Sources include:
Fruits
Vegetables
Bran
Barley
Oats
Legumes
Whole grains
Brown rice
So, you just march into ER and ask them to check your cholesterol and blood sugars/pressure and give you dieting tips? These things are usually done at the doctors office during your regular visits, which of course never occur unless you have insurance.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:28 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Will this be because they have NO insurance.......... I'd suggest the same in your last line, but something tells me your a Lion as in the Wizard of OZ!!!!
Do you think America should do away with health insurance companies entirely since they are apparently of no benefit to Americans?

Old 07-04-2012, 12:32 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,986,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, you just march into ER and ask them to check your cholesterol and blood sugars/pressure and give you dieting tips? These things are usually done at the doctors office during your regular visits, which of course never occur unless you have insurance.
Do you really think people don't know how to get answers, other than from a doctor?

Here is a link to the American Heart Assoc.

Prevention and Treatment of High Cholesterol

My guess is that most people know what is good or bad for them, and they choose the bad, because of the high they get from fat, and sugar, and the brainwashing from a young age that it can be fixed by a doctor.

The funny thing to me, is we feed our pets better, and know if our car is running like crap, we probably have bad gas, or haven't done the needed maintenance.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
From the link:

Click on each misconception about cholesterol to see the truth:
My choices about diet and physical activity are responsible for my cholesterol level.

Diet and physical activity contribute to overall blood cholesterol levels as well as the cholesterol that is made naturally by the body. The amount of LDL (bad) cholesterol in the blood is controlled in two important places — the liver and the intestines. The liver produces cholesterol (using it to make digestive — or bile — acids) and also removes cholesterol from the blood. The intestines absorb cholesterol, which comes from food and from bile. For some people, the liver produces more cholesterol than the intestines absorb. If this is the case for you, your physician may prescribe medicine to manage your cholesterol. However, a heart-healthy diet and regular physical activity are important to everyone for maintaining cardiovascular health. Have your cholesterol tested and work with your healthcare professionals on the plan that's best for you. Learn more about the sources of cholesterol.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Do you really think people don't know how to get answers, other than from a doctor?

The answer is no, you cannot go to ER for a physical, and the answer is no, you cannot give yourself a physical. Or are you saying you check your prostate yourself?

Old 07-04-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
From the link:

Click on each misconception about cholesterol to see the truth:
My choices about diet and physical activity are responsible for my cholesterol level.

Diet and physical activity contribute to overall blood cholesterol levels as well as the cholesterol that is made naturally by the body. The amount of LDL (bad) cholesterol in the blood is controlled in two important places — the liver and the intestines. The liver produces cholesterol (using it to make digestive — or bile — acids) and also removes cholesterol from the blood. The intestines absorb cholesterol, which comes from food and from bile. For some people, the liver produces more cholesterol than the intestines absorb. If this is the case for you, your physician may prescribe medicine to manage your cholesterol. However, a heart-healthy diet and regular physical activity are important to everyone for maintaining cardiovascular health. Have your cholesterol tested and work with your healthcare professionals on the plan that's best for you. Learn more about the sources of cholesterol.
Yeh, and if i blow to much air in a balloon and it pops, the plastic balloon wasn't made strong enough....

You do realize that our bodies are not meant to take the punishment that processed food stuff is made of.

There is common sense, and then there are stupid Americans.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Yeh, and if i blow to much air in a balloon and it pops, the plastic balloon wasn't made strong enough....

You do realize that our bodies are not meant to take the punishment that processed food stuff is made of.

There is common sense, and then there are stupid Americans.
Only the stupid get prostrate cancer?

Old 07-04-2012, 01:13 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Do you think America should do away with health insurance companies entirely since they are apparently of no benefit to Americans?
Did I say that..............we have "health insurance" it's called buy it if you want it.

The Obama plan is going to make it harder to afford and doctor's a walking away.

How are kids right out of high school going to afford to be forced on this plan, oh yeah we parents can pay for it until they're 26!!! what a plan.............

How about making it affordable, not forced............

People die from problems, not because they have NO INSURANCE.....

Old 07-04-2012, 01:19 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I have no idea why this is so incredibly difficult.

Let's say I don't have health insurance but my kid gets very ill. Since I cannot afford to go to a regular pediatrician, I have to find an alternative that does not cost me any money (remember, I don't have any!). The only option is generally to go to an emergency room where my child will have to be treated, no matter what. Since I cannot pay my bill, the tax payer (and those who have insurance) will get stuck with my bill. Since it is an ER bill, it will cost other people at least $1500.

If I had health insurance - issued by the state because I am unable to pay, the cost would have been that of a simple visit to a pediatrician. We can assume that this health insurance, just like private companies, will have been able to negotiate a lower rate. Thus, instead of costing the nation $1500, cost will be significantly less.

When I have had to go to an ER abroad, I was asked either for a credit card or for my passport. There was no skipping out on the bill.
Okay, I'll bite. How would you have the money to travel abroad but not have the money for health insurance?

Old 07-04-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The answer is no, you cannot go to ER for a physical, and the answer is no, you cannot give yourself a physical. Or are you saying you check your prostate yourself?
Are you saying you don't?

BTW Pumpkin seed oil is the best medicine for BPH (enlarged prostate).

2 teaspoons a day, keeps the butcher away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies