Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 03:43 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times

Advertisements

I got to say , I only write checks now and donate items, but both my kids do charity work.. soup kitchens, disaster areas, helping people move, driving the handicapped and donating food and money. They both do charity work through the church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 06:26 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,331,418 times
I believe in volunteering. And I hang with other folk who do too. But, it does concern me my kids are not all that into it. We seem to have different mentalities. My kid works two jobs and his friends work and they don't really feel the pull to make a point of volunteering. They believe working is enough and maybe it is. I don't know.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:42 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
I do all kinds of volunteering. I'm a volunteer docent at a local warbirds museum, along with donating my time to help restore aircraft, but that's mostly just for my benefit

As for everything else, over the years I've volunteered for 4H groups, put in hundreds of hours collecting food and clothing for the needy, served food at soup kitchens and food banks. When I was working on my gold and emerald stars for 4H (and eventually my All Star), you have to put in so many hours of volunteer work to qualify and I guess I just kept going after I aged out.

I don't donate money as a rule, because most of it goes to the administrators, so at least my time can't be stolen.

Nearly all of my friends put in a few volunteer hours a month, but that's just how we were all raised.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:53 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,079,388 times
Our whole family is involved with donating and helping out with our local homeless shelter. My friends make blankets and sock dolls for kids in need, and help pack shoe boxes for Christmas.
I also know quite a few people involved with Habitat for Humanity

Old 07-01-2012, 06:56 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,079,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I was doing #2 with my kids but then my kids would point oiut that the homeless people had better cell phones than we did. Also the shelter changed because they said that always at the beginning of the month when the homeless get their SSI checks, the visits drop dramatically because they're out spending their money on liquor, drugs and eating out. Then when they run out of money they show back up at the shelter so the shelter has decided it's just acting as an enabler and is going to start charging the visitors for the meals and expecting more out of them.

#7 would be too risky because I'd most likely bring most of the animals home with me.
We have 2 types of shelters here..a drop in for cold weather months (where the rules are a bit more relaxed) and a permanent one that will allow clients to stay 30-90 days, depending on how hard they are working towards self-sufficiency, the later charges a percentage of your income (think it's 10%)

Old 07-01-2012, 07:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
I've done tons of volunteer work in the past, mostly for my kids' schools and other kids activities. Currently I belong to a quiliting group that makes quilts for Lutheran World Relief. DH volunteers at least once a year with Habitat for Humanity.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:50 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
I volunteer with the CAP (Civil Air Patrol) which does search & rescue of downed aircraft and teaches young people (ages 12-18) about flying all year around. Once a year I also spend 10 days doing administration work at a CAP cadet encampment (not in the area where I live) which trains 14-18 year old teenagers how to fly gliders.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:57 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
How many friends or family do you have that DO charity work in their free time? I'm not counting giving money via a mail donation, putting money in the Salvation Army red bucket during holidays,etc but actually engaging in a charitable activity. Examples below...

1. Donating blood at a donor center
2. Serving food at a homeless shelter
3. Working with Habitat for Humanity on home construction
4. Picking up litter with a group in your area
5. Visiting elderly with no family in a nursing home
6. Helping the Red Cross during natural disasters
7. Cleaning out kennels at an animal shelter
8. Providing a temporary home to a rescue animal until it is fostered by a family or individual
9. Any other ACTIVITY you can think of that is charitable

I am sad to report that I have no family members and only 1 friend who do any of these or other things that would be considered charity work. Would you say that only a small percentage of Americans do any of these things? Would you say that few may have done an act of charity once but never again or do you know people who make a habit of doing charitable work?
I never ask my family or friends for an accounting of their charity work and find those who do it and then broadcast it are obnoxious.

I think that most people after working 60-70 hours a week and taking care of a home and a family wouldn't have the time or energy to do charitable work.

Ya, ya, please no PERSONAL/FAKE stories from anyone about ALL the work AND charity you do...

Old 07-02-2012, 06:22 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
I donate blood every two months or so. Our workplace organizes it and they're always talking about a critical shortage. Its not bad because they give you a snack and my favorite beverage as well as update you by mail on your overall cholesterol level.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:25 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,373,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I never ask my family or friends for an accounting of their charity work and find those who do it and then broadcast it are obnoxious.

I think that most people after working 60-70 hours a week and taking care of a home and a family wouldn't have the time or energy to do charitable work.

Ya, ya, please no PERSONAL/FAKE stories from anyone about ALL the work AND charity you do...
Sounds like somebody is feeling a bit defensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies