Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:26 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Ridiculous. Laws are complicated. Senators don't have time for reading every word of a bill. Rand Paul just wants to stop the government from doing anything.
This is convoluted, so you want laws passed that no one reads or understands??

Apparently, whatever stands in the way of government tyranny, must be defeated by the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 PM

858 posts, read 707,680 times
I support this. Of course they should be reading the bills before they vote on them. We also need bills on single items that aren't filled with extra stuff. We also need a way so that they can vote how they feel rather than how their party wants them to vote so we can stop having every vote go down party lines.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
If they don't have the time, they can't do the crime
I'm for taking away their pens and paper too
If a representative has no understanding of what he/she is voting for, they have no business
being allowed to vote on it in the first place.

But, who is going to prove they "read it". Certainly can not depend on a gentleman/woman
agreement - not with that bunch...

I'd go much further than Rand.
I'd make the Congressmen/women take a multiple choice test on what is in any bill, before
they can vote on it. Can't pass the test, they don't get to vote on it.
I actually was going to mention that also. Reading comprehension for congress. (lol)

Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
How is a bill written without being read?

Old 07-02-2012, 07:38 PM

542 posts, read 692,009 times
If the Congressmen don't read them, I'm sure others don't read them, how do we know a law is passed? If buried in a 500 bill somewhere says for every 3 chickens I raise, I have to have at least 1 duck, how do I know I'm going against the law if I have 10 chickens and 1 duck?

Who knows what to enforce what to who?

Old 07-02-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
But what about the lawyers? The army of lawyers may have to actually go out and <eek> get a real job without the complexities they insert into the laws to benefit their own profession. FYI nearly half of Congress is lawyers and the single greatest contributor to politicians is lawyers with a majority of those contributions going to Democrats. Everything else pales in comparison... energy, health, banking, unions..... pffffft they are all small timers.
I agree. Seriously disgusting. I am a big supporter of "common law".

The idea that "language" is actually designed to deceive and be difficult to understand is absurd. NM using such premises as guidelines for society.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:43 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
But what about the lawyers? The army of lawyers may have to actually go out and <eek> get a real job without the complexities they insert into the laws to benefit their own profession. FYI nearly half of Congress is lawyers and the single greatest contributor to politicians is lawyers with a majority of those contributions going to Democrats. Everything else pales in comparison... energy, health, banking, unions..... pffffft they are all small timers.
Sheldon Adelson is a lawyer?

Old 07-02-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The ones "writing" it aren't the ones being held responsible. They aren't even clearly identified. How crazy is that?

Old 07-02-2012, 08:02 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times
Default Rand Paul Introduces Legislation To Force Reading Of Bills Before Voting

WOW! What a concept. Actually reading what they are voting for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
This is how bad it is folks, we need a law to force them to read the laws they enact.
Although such a law wont help the dolts understand what they are voting on nor ensure that they read the bills at all, it will slow the works down.

After blasting the Senate last week for passing a 600-page bill no one had time to read, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) introduced legislation that would force the Senate to give its members one day to read bills for every 20 pages they contain.
"For goodness sakes, this is a 600-page bill. I got it this morning," Paul said Friday, just before the Senate approved a massive bill extending highway funding, federal flood insurance and low student loans rates.

These items ^^^ have so much in common.

Rand Paul puts forward measure that would force the Senate to read bills - The Hill's Floor Action
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Its the size and scope of government that is the problem.
Ain't that the truth?!?!?

I think Shakespeare had the right idea about lawyers.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:07 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I dont think some of these bills are even written by Congress. I think outside groups write them. Do we even know who actually wrote the health care bill? Honestly, do we know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies