Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 04:30 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,040,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
An example of vulture capitalism is Solyndra This involves giving massive amounts of tax payer money to a dying business in an attempt to save jobs. But, nothing changes, it dies anyway, people lose their jobs and the whole thing costs the tax payers.

Venture capitalism is a way of investing. As with any investment there are risks. They take risks by buying failing businesses with private money and salvaging what they can for a profit. If they can save part of something some jobs are saved. Other times it is better to just close it down and sell off whatever assets there are. In business there are gains and losses every day. Businesses fail. They will be businesses that fail with or without venture capitalism.
Well, I do not claim to be an expert, and I agree with most of your definitions. But I think venture capitalists mostly invest in start up companies or companies that just need a bit of propping up. Vulture capitalism, as I understand it, is not about propping up a company or financing a start up. It is about making money without regards to what happens. Thus the negative title of vulture.
Now I make no claim that Bain only brought down companies, but they certainly picked apart several. So, my question stands, Is Bain a venture or a vulture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 05:09 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because after all this time of offshoring, all we have left in the US is basically service type jobs which don't pay much.

Walmart is the largest employer in the US. What does that tell you about our society ?

Walmart of all companies and industries.

Not any automaker, not any high tech company, not any "skills" type of company.

And you can blame the "consumer" who wanted cheap prices which fueled the offshoring.
Who was the largest employer in 1970 and 1950?

How many people worked for Wart type employers in those two periods. Wal Mart consolidated retail. I bet as many people worked retail in 1970 or 1950 as today on a per capita basis.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Here is an idea. Look up the difference between venture capitalism and vulture capitalism and let me know what you think Bain falls under. I will be waiting for a response.
So do you agree or disagree with the fact that companies like Bain prevent companies from going bankrupt?

Please actually answer my question instead of resorting to passive aggressive responses.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times
Quote:
Well, I do not claim to be an expert, and I agree with most of your definitions. But I think venture capitalists mostly invest in start up companies or companies that just need a bit of propping up. Vulture capitalism, as I understand it, is not about propping up a company or financing a start up. It is about making money without regards to what happens. Thus the negative title of vulture.
Now I make no claim that Bain only brought down companies, but they certainly picked apart several. So, my question stands, Is Bain a venture or a vulture?
Articles: Vulture Capitalism

Read that, then tell me again what is so wrong with what Bain does.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,040,318 times
Quote:
Articles: Vulture Capitalism

Read that, then tell me again what is so wrong with what Bain does.
Legally there is nothing wrong. Ethnically it seems wrong to me. How do you squeeze money out of failing companies? You snatch 401K's, pension funds and reduce or take away employee benefits. Perhaps the company was mismanaged to get into the mess in the first place, I really do not know. But I really doubt the blame falls on the employees. I figure they probably just did their jobs, and lost there benefits, pensions and/or 401K funds. To me, and perhaps only me, I don't want someone associated with that running the country.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
i have been rich and poor both. im now in a good place.
here is what i noticed. joined a good religion and followed it, w2 went up.
got a can of leech remover and used it. income and assets went way up. its been nothing but everything coming up roses since.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:32 PM

27,215 posts, read 46,772,227 times
Quote:
An example of vulture capitalism is Solyndra This involves giving massive amounts of tax payer money to a dying business in an attempt to save jobs. But, nothing changes, it dies anyway, people lose their jobs and the whole thing costs the tax payers.

Venture capitalism is a way of investing. As with any investment there are risks. They take risks by buying failing businesses with private money and salvaging what they can for a profit. If they can save part of something some jobs are saved. Other times it is better to just close it down and sell off whatever assets there are. In business there are gains and losses every day. Businesses fail. They will be businesses that fail with or without venture capitalism.
Another "great" decision of the inexperienced POTUS!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:59 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,531,260 times
Rich getting richer? Not all rich are in this economy, no way! The super-rich may be, but worth just five or six million? Oh no! I know folks that are worth about what I just suggested and they are forced to downsize their personal lives as well as their business. Another family that's downsized personally, are helping others (employees, for example) and that though they aren't downsizing their business they are not able to grow it. Why?

The intentional lunacy from the leftist leaders. Business has to plan six months and more, in advance and in a shoot-from-the-hip, chaotic leadership, business cannot plan.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:36 AM

27,215 posts, read 46,772,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Rich getting richer? Not all rich are in this economy, no way! The super-rich may be, but worth just five or six million? Oh no! I know folks that are worth about what I just suggested and they are forced to downsize their personal lives as well as their business. Another family that's downsized personally, are helping others (employees, for example) and that though they aren't downsizing their business they are not able to grow it. Why?

The intentional lunacy from the leftist leaders. Business has to plan six months and more, in advance and in a shoot-from-the-hip, chaotic leadership, business cannot plan.
Lefties don't want to know or minimize the issue that people who make more money and work hard and provide jobs spent more money on living and other items and now also have to cut down and that way others will receive less of their money....that is the triple down effect that Obama doesn't understand since his wife is flying all over the place and waste all our tax money in a time that people are financially hurt....

but playing golf more than any other president...is making it very hard to focus on things that " the people" are dealing with.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:46 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times
Quote:
Legally there is nothing wrong. Ethnically it seems wrong to me. How do you squeeze money out of failing companies? You snatch 401K's, pension funds and reduce or take away employee benefits. Perhaps the company was mismanaged to get into the mess in the first place, I really do not know. But I really doubt the blame falls on the employees. I figure they probably just did their jobs, and lost there benefits, pensions and/or 401K funds. To me, and perhaps only me, I don't want someone associated with that running the country.
I think the choice is to cut costs or close the business. I also think you fail to see the big picture. If it costs more to run the company than the company makes you have to cut costs somewhere or close down. You can cut benefits and have people keep their jobs why isn't that the better choice?

True that it isn't the employees fault, but I'm not sure what point you are trying to make by saying that. There are no guarantees in life. The risk in working for any company is that it may not always be there. Bad things happen, and in situations like this why look for fault? Business owners don't want their business to fail, so I would say it isn't their fault either. There isn't fault that someone has to be answerable for in every bad thing that happens. To think so just goes along with the whole liberal idea that everyone should be taken care of an no one is responsible for themselves.

And I would rather see someone in the white house that understands business and money. I don't think Mitt would be my first choice, but clearly Obama does not understand business at all and has further hurt the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies