Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 11:08 AM

170 posts, read 203,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post

There is NOT unlimited room at the table. For every 4 people who make it from poverty to the top income quintile, 96 wont, and over 70 of them wont even make it to the middle income quintile.

That is ACTUAL fact.

It's because they are lazy, stupid or both. The poor have no excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 11:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Most poor don't invest. They spend but they don't invest.
They think they don't have the money to "invest" and don't bother to educate themselves.

DRIP is an easy way to start investing. I was "investing" when I was in my 20's, going to college and working in McDonalds. All you had to do was buy 1 share and then enroll. I had a portfolio of 10 stocks and was sending in $10-$20 dollars per month to the various companies.

My son is 21. Min wage job and going to school and living by himself. He has 5 stocks and is investing.

Once you SPEND the money it's gone forever; you gave it away to someone else.
Invest some of that money and now you have your money working for you to make more money.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:42 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,040,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
I think the choice is to cut costs or close the business.
Funny how you did not mention the millions that Bain made in that process. And actually, it is more like cut costs and THEN close the company. Lining a few pockets along the way.

Quote:
... why look for fault?
Fault? I was not looking to blame anyone. Businesses come and go all the time. I look at who got screwed. And, more importantly, who did the screwing.
Again, this is a morality issue to me. Who gained? A very few. Who got screwed? A bunch of working class people. A bunch lost out so a very few could profit.
Typical republican mantra .... make money, no, better yet, promote greed, with no regards to effect. Get mine and f the rest.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:08 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Funny how you did not mention the millions that Bain made in that process. And actually, it is more like cut costs and THEN close the company. Lining a few pockets along the way.

Fault? I was not looking to blame anyone. Businesses come and go all the time. I look at who got screwed. And, more importantly, who did the screwing.
Again, this is a morality issue to me. Who gained? A very few. Who got screwed? A bunch of working class people. A bunch lost out so a very few could profit.
Typical republican mantra .... make money, no, better yet, promote greed, with no regards to effect. Get mine and f the rest.
I don't see anything wrong with making millions if it is done legally and honestly. That they make a lot of money is a given and I didn't think I needed to mention it. If Bain invested the private funds what is wrong with getting a return on their money for their investors? What would you expect them to do? Rather than invest, donate their money foolishly to keep a dying company alive to pay workers until they absolutely cant anymore and go broke themselves? That really is the only other choice. So you would prefer a Solyndra type situation, but with private money? Only our government makes really bad investments like that and in the end the loss is greater.

You are looking to blame someone. If you think someone cheated someone else that is blaming. Because someone made money does not mean someone else is cheated.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
If you think someone cheated someone else that is blaming. Because someone made money does not mean someone else is cheated.
I suppose you are somewhat correct.
If you lose your car keys there is no one to blame (other than yourself, perhaps). If someone steals your car keys it is a different story.
Bain made money on companies that were floundering or at the brink of failure. Sometimes the company was saved and often it was not. With that in mind I follow your logic. But how do you make money, often big money, from a failing company? Where does the money come from? Our difference in this matter is that you do not care where that money came from and I do. You see, I care that my money does not come by the demise of others. I want to produce something or provide a service for my earnings. An exchange if you will. I am not a high finance guy, I am a worker. It is what I do and it is what I most understand. Most in this country are just like me in that regard. Ethically I do not want to steal from the producers and the providers. Pensions, benefits, 401K's ... those are part of a package offered to employees. Often they play a big roll in the decision to work for a company. The company flounders, Bain steps in and bankrolls those benefits, the company folds and the employees lose out.
Right or wrong, that is how I see these vultures, in particular Bain. And the guy who ran it at one time is/was fully aware of how this money was made. I do not want that guy, with those principles (legal or not), running the country.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Sometimes companies buy failing companies for their IP or customer base, not the company itself.
That's what many of the big high tech companies do..buy out the little guys or failing companies for the IP, the technology or the customer base.

Sun was a failing company but they had a big customer base and owned Java. Sun itself is gone but Java lives on and those customers still bought hardware. Vultures ? No, just some smart business acumen that saw the potential beyond the company doors.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sometimes companies buy failing companies for their IP or customer base, not the company itself.
That's what many of the big high tech companies do..buy out the little guys or failing companies for the IP, the technology or the customer base.

Sun was a failing company but they had a big customer base and owned Java. Sun itself is gone but Java lives on and those customers still bought hardware. Vultures ? No, just some smart business acumen that saw the potential beyond the company doors.
There are success stories without a doubt. There are also bankrupted companies also. Bain made big money regardless of the outcome. To me that is vulture. And I get it, business can be brutal. And although I have to except it I do not have to like it. I do not like it because of the people who were most effected by the negative impact, those restructured or bankrupted companies and displaced workers. I really do not care that Romney made millions, it impacts me very little. What impacts me is my neighbor losing his job, losing his pension and having to join the ranks at the unemployment line. Now I cannot go over there and jump in his pool and drink his beer. His pool is empty and his beer cooler is unplugged.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:21 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I suppose you are somewhat correct.
If you lose your car keys there is no one to blame (other than yourself, perhaps). If someone steals your car keys it is a different story.
Bain made money on companies that were floundering or at the brink of failure. Sometimes the company was saved and often it was not. With that in mind I follow your logic. But how do you make money, often big money, from a failing company? Where does the money come from? Our difference in this matter is that you do not care where that money came from and I do. You see, I care that my money does not come by the demise of others. I want to produce something or provide a service for my earnings. An exchange if you will. I am not a high finance guy, I am a worker. It is what I do and it is what I most understand. Most in this country are just like me in that regard. Ethically I do not want to steal from the producers and the providers. Pensions, benefits, 401K's ... those are part of a package offered to employees. Often they play a big roll in the decision to work for a company. The company flounders, Bain steps in and bankrolls those benefits, the company folds and the employees lose out.
Right or wrong, that is how I see these vultures, in particular Bain. And the guy who ran it at one time is/was fully aware of how this money was made. I do not want that guy, with those principles (legal or not), running the country.
I don't think most people are just like you in that regard.

Nothing was stolen. Your logic makes no sense what so ever. So, you think that if you work for a company they have an obligation to provide you benefits even if they close their doors?

Old 07-13-2012, 03:35 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,454,615 times
There is a difference, sorry to be so blunt, but you know me by now. People i know who have wealth and have created success, comes from very hard work, and sacrifices, to get there, Like so many of you presume, a silver spoon was not presented to them, at time of birth.

Their parents instilled the hard work etchics that they too learned from their parents. They make wise and smart choices at the right time, know how to spend and when to spend, and when to invest.

Got to be blunt, don't care how you take it, but being honest. I know some who freaking gosh dang compalin about this person or that person, not having this or that, can't buy food, clothes etc.

Guess what, not going to happen if a parents has the wrong priorities, and sorry but many parents do. They spend furiously, when they don't have the money to spend. Buy things of non importance putting ahead things that are needed and necessities. For things of luxury, don't tell me it don't happen, because i see with my own two eyes that it does over and over again.

Booze and pot that much of a important thing, well is it now. Big screens you can't afford, but have to have. There is the difference right there, so get off of your high horses, and stop making excuses. Putting everything you need on credit cards, is the worse thing you can do, unless your going to pay off the bill. Which we know for most of you will not happen, and the interest accumulates.

People i know who are sucessful, have worked for it, no one gave them anything, for being smart, and wise, to me when you put those people down, your plain jealous and can't admit it. You will never admit it, but i hear for myself the ingorant remarks.

And i know plenty of people that are working very hard, to make a better life for themselves, and they don't do drugs. Those people i am proud of.

It is never easy, trying to get ahead in life, but no matter what background you come from, have a dream, and remember hard work never killed anyone.

Last edited by california-jewel; 07-13-2012 at 03:51 PM..

Old 07-13-2012, 03:38 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
[quote=charolastra00;25101137]Is this serious?[/QUOTE

yes

In general, the poor are poor for very good reasons.

How many hard working, well educated poor people do you know who are free of drugs and alcohol.

The myth of the "Grapes of Wrath" type of American poor is a myth. Anyone who works hard, actually goes to school, gets good grades, and gets a useful college degree or trade will do well. Bums, on the other hand, will never do well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies