Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 05:36 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,045,482 times

Advertisements

If everyone is capable of excelling, and does ... well, who is gonna pick onions? Who will dig ditches and cut your grass? Not everyone will achieve their 'best' in life. Not everyone has the mental capacity to do so even with unending effort. I despise laziness just like everyone else, but I understand some people are happy, perhaps happier than you even, while living right at the poverty line. There are poor people out there, extremely poor, who are happier than you have been your entire life. And who's not happy? You are not happy ... because they are lazy and poor.
You know, there was a time, not too long ago, that it only took one income for a family of four to be comfortable. 2.2 and a white picket fence, new car every four years or so. Kids could go to college, mom was home to raise them before then. That was middle class. Not the case any more. Things have drastically changed under our watch. Are you really trying to blame the poor for that?

It just seems beyond strange to me to blame all the poor for being poor. Some? no doubt. But all? Not realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 05:38 PM

170 posts, read 129,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You will never, ever be wealthy. I guarantee it. You detest wealth too much. You will always be poor.

Someone else said it early in the thread - wealth is more about mindset than money. If you start thinking like a wealthy person, you will naturally follow the correct course to reach that goal. It's really less about specific actions that can be defined in a list of bullet points, and more about how you think of yourself, and of money. If you hate money, you'll never hold onto any of it.

Someone I saw on TV the other day during a business news show made a comment that really struck a chord with me. It wasn't some major proclamation or anything - he said it as part of a larger comment which I don't even remember, and the words that caught my interest weren't really even related to his main point. He said (paraphrasing) that there are two types of people when it comes to how one handles money - consumers and investors. Which are you?
Really? Jaime Johnson (not my friend) and other very wealthy people (like my friends...parents are in hedge funds, one from an old money family, another whose parents made a killing in the real estate market) don't detest wealth. I don't. I think that the wealthy, regardless of how they made their wealth should have it. We just believe that the wealthy should also acknowledge where it came from and try to help level out the playing field.

Nobody wants the wealthy to become poor and the poor to become wealthy.

If you are basing things on simply catchphrases like the one on TV you saw, then it explains why you think that things are quite black and white.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:39 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,557,336 times
the poor are people that consistently make bad decisions. when smarter wiser people give them advice, they reject it 100% of the time. now a question for you
why are poor whites held in utter contempt, but poor AA held up as a rightous status of the people?

Old 07-10-2012, 05:55 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,165,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK? View Post
Really? Jaime Johnson (not my friend) and other very wealthy people (like my friends...parents are in hedge funds, one from an old money family, another whose parents made a killing in the real estate market) don't detest wealth. I don't. I think that the wealthy, regardless of how they made their wealth should have it. We just believe that the wealthy should also acknowledge where it came from and try to help level out the playing field.

Nobody wants the wealthy to become poor and the poor to become wealthy.

If you are basing things on simply catchphrases like the one on TV you saw, then it explains why you think that things are quite black and white.
WTF are you talking about? Did you intend to reply to my post? 'Cuz nothing you wrote had ANYTHING to do with it.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:02 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,529,868 times
It's quite clear to me the OP was intended to start a fight over two classes of people: the rich, the poor. This is really starting to get childish. Don't we have better things to do.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
WTF are you talking about? Did you intend to reply to my post? 'Cuz nothing you wrote had ANYTHING to do with it.
Seriously? You honestly can't link your post about the other poster will be poor for detesting wealth and how it's not about detesting wealth, and that trite sayings that you posted have absolutely nothing to do with how wealth is acquired. I seriously suggest you read your posts and re-read my post.

I'm perplexed as to how you're not seeing that. Honestly. If you seriously think that the two have nothing to do with each other (how people perceive wealth and how it's not about detesting wealth itself but inequality) then...wow.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:28 PM

27,219 posts, read 46,835,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
It's quite clear to me the OP was intended to start a fight over two classes of people: the rich, the poor. This is really starting to get childish. Don't we have better things to do.
Not true! I'm just pointing out to people who want to earn more how to get started in an inexpensive way!

It would btw make my life easier since usually we have to email and/or call people who make less money, more than people who make more money since they are the ones who always reply fast!

The people living in higher end rentals usually pay on time and that isn't just because they have better jobs.

We have changed a lot of tenants in our business by having them pay late fees and now they figured out that paying on time will save them money...it is almost like they need a parent, specially the younger generation!

I guess that not many parents in that categorie are telling their kids to pay on time...they always have excuses and feel that their excuse makes them entitled not to pay that fee...than they find out that we treat everybody the same and over time they clean up their act!

To me it is sad that nobody has been telling them things like ...pay bills on time, will save you money!

This thread is not class warfare...for that you have to be the POTUS/divider!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:30 PM

Yeah, it's pretty class-warfare like.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:31 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,436,365 times
The basic point is that discipline and hard work are more likely to result in wealth.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The basic point is that discipline and hard work are more likely to result in wealth.
If that were the sole case, you would have MANY more rich people. Of course it's not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies