Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 02:11 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Well...that raises the tax rate on the lowest income taxpayers by 50%. It would re-instate the "marriage penalty". Slashes the child tax credit. And of course eliminate the 60%+ of the BTC savings that lower income taxpayers benefitted from. Some of the 47% of the population that currently pays no income tax will get to contribute something. I wonder how the Democratic voting base (well, at least the small portion that actually WORKS) will like that?
I'm part of the Democratic voting base, and I wouldn't mind if all of the Bush tax cuts were eliminated. They were not planned for and poorly thought out. In fact, as a married person with a child and a not-so-high-income, we'll probably be harder hit. I'll pay higher taxes. So what. I'll adjust. There needs to be more revenue. I'd rather things get straightened out now than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 02:13 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Well...that raises the tax rate on the lowest income taxpayers by 50%. It would re-instate the "marriage penalty". Slashes the child tax credit. And of course eliminate the 60%+ of the BTC savings that lower income taxpayers benefitted from. Some of the 47% of the population that currently pays no income tax will get to contribute something. I wonder how the Democratic voting base (well, at least the small portion that actually WORKS) will like that?
I'm a democrat, and I would support it. I don't think taxes should be as low as they are for upper or lower earners. They just don't square with historical spending levels.

Obviously, when we do this depends upon the economy actually being out of intensive care. I think we are out of the deepest crisis already, but the slow unemployment recovery does not make anyone happy. Ironically, government layoffs are a major cause of our elevated employment rate. If the GOP in congress had not stalled the jobs bill or federal transfer funds to states and municipalities, UE would probably be below 8% by now. Like any tax hike it needs to be done by second term president and who actually cares about doing his/her job.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:14 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,717,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
I'm part of the Democratic voting base, and I wouldn't mind if all of the Bush tax cuts were eliminated. They were not planned for and poorly thought out.
What you really mean is that YOU didn't think it out.

Quote:
There needs to be more revenue. I'd rather things get straightened out now than later.

After the Bush Tax Cuts were passed, government tax revenues hit an all-time high.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:18 PM

Here's the real question for you Liberal Democrats......

In 2009 Obama himself said that you don't raise taxes in a recession. Bill Clinton agreed with that.

So do you really think that our economy is that much better today than it was in 2009 that we can do what Obama himself said we should never do?

Were he and Bill Clinton wrong?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:20 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post

In 2009 Obama himself said that you don't raise taxes in a recession. Bill Clinton agreed with that.

So do you really think that our economy is that much better today than it was in 2009 that we can do what Obama himself said we should never do?

We're technically out of the recession. Rich people will also be hurt the least. P.S. Cutting taxes while you embark on two dumb wars is poor planning.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post

Yes, the economy is in better shape. Admittedly, not in great shape with Europe, high UE and all, but it is much better than 2009.

And no, Clinton and Obama were not wrong, but the GOP wants to have their cake and eat it too. Cut taxes to the bone, launch wars, brew up a bubble, cut programs, and blame the Democrats for the deficit and unemployment.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
We're technically out of the recession. Rich people will also be hurt the least. P.S. Cutting taxes while you embark on two dumb wars is poor planning.

Edit: Cutting taxes while you embark on two dumb wars is criminal-level negligence.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Yes, the economy is in better shape. Admittedly, not in great shape with Europe, high UE and all, but it is much better than 2009.
Really? And unemployment is WAY down too huh?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Edit: Cutting taxes while you embark on two dumb wars is criminal-level negligence.

Two dumb wars?

So Afghanistan, the war that Obama called "The Good War" was dumb?

You seem to have a problem admitting the FACT that government tax revenues hit an ALL-TIME HIGH after the Bush Tax Cuts were passed.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:

And Obama said that the Deficit under Bush was "unpatriotic"....which doesn't apply to HIM now that he's tripled it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies