Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 12:45 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
First off, there's already several threads about this. I suggest you take this issue over to one of them. Anyway, if two siblings want to marry each other and are of legal consenting age (being 18 years old or older) then what's the issue? Yes I will certainly agree that morally it's wrong and not worth doing, but if two siblings meet the requirements set forth by the law to get married - why deny them that right?

A reason not to let two brothers marry can be either the mental state of one or both, they are not of legal age, they are unwilling or unable to consent, and maybe they just want to marry one another. That whole "no chance of offspring" argument is rather boring and tired - what about infertile couples or older couples where the woman is past the age of being able to bear a healthy child? Should they not be allowed to marry? Again the whole brother and sister or three brothers argument - if they are of legal age (18+) and are of good mental state of mind to consent...why not?

Of course we do - equal treatment for all Americans as guaranteed under the Constitution and Bill of Rights. I mean denying homosexuals certain rights and liberties just because they aren't straight is discrimination at its foulest and goes against the 14th amendment - in other words it's unconstitutional to deny homosexuals the same rights and liberties as heterosexuals.
Ok. So you support the rights of gays to marry, polygamists and siblings. Is that correct? How about fathers marrying their adult dauthers? Where would you draw the line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 01:04 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Ok. So you support the rights of gays to marry, polygamists and siblings. Is that correct? How about fathers marrying their adult dauthers? Where would you draw the line?
If I support anything, I support the right for all Americans to be treated equally under the watchful eye of the law. Let's be clear about that.

I am for the equal treatment of people who don't break the law no matter what I think of them and am for the upholding of the Constitution that this country is founded on. I support the right for Americans to be able to get married to their loved one - be they heterosexual or homosexual - as that is their right under the US Constitution.

Now to address your response in specific - I support the right of homosexuals to marry. I'm no advocate but I am willing to be the voice of reason here. As for polygamists and siblings - while I don't support it and feel that there's no reason for that sort of thing, I certainly won't go out and *deny* their right to be married. Again - if they meet the requirements to get married (legal age, able to consent, and willing to sign a contract) then who are you and I to deny them that right? It's questionable for a man to have many wives (Mormonism) and for two siblings to marry each other (Kentucky and West Virginia), but even still - who are you or I to deny them the right to marry?

The whole father/daughter, mother/son, father/son, mother/daughter deal - while I don't agree with it whatsoever, if they meet the requirements set down by the law and their county or state allows such a thing...then who's to say they aren't allowed to marry one another? WE might not agree with it but that doesn't give us the right to deny them certain rights because of it.

I draw the line when people who share your view points start bringing up bestiality and necrophilia as reasons to not allow homosexuals to marry. Never mind the fact that those reasons they bring up are utterly obtuse and loaded, but taking into account that a cat or a dead person can't sign a contract or give consent and that whole argument gets shot to sh*t, so to speak - it's a pretty shallow argument at best.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:

I am for the equal treatment of people who don't break the law no matter what I think of them and am for the upholding of the Constitution that this country is founded on.
Really? Do you realize that in many states sodomy is stil illegal? Are you willing to observe tese laws as well?

Where do we draw a line here?

Quote:

I support the right for Americans to be able to get married to their loved one - be they heterosexual or homosexual - as that is their right under the US Constitution.
I dont recall constitution ever touching upon marriage???

Quote:

The whole father/daughter, mother/son, father/son, mother/daughter deal - while I don't agree with it whatsoever, if they meet the requirements set down by the law and their county or state allows such a thing...then who's to say they aren't allowed to marry one another? WE might not agree with it but that doesn't give us the right to deny them certain rights because of it.
You didnt answer my question. Would you be in favor of the law allowing fathers to marry their biological daughters? I understand you support polygamy but what about incest?

Old 07-22-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Really? Do you realize that in many states sodomy is stil illegal? Are you willing to observe tese laws as well?

I don't practice sodomy nor am I really aware of it, so no I don't know how many states still hold sodomy as illegal. What is sodomy exactly? I've heard the term but I don't really know exactly what it is. Also, what does sodomy have to do with gay marriage?

Quote:
I dont recall constitution ever touching upon marriage???
You're right - the Constitution touches on the 14th amendment which outlaws discrimination. To deny homosexuals the right to marry the people they love and to deny them the same benefits as a heterosexual couple is unconstitutional as it is discrimination. Pay attention.

Quote:
You didnt answer my question. Would you be in favor of the law allowing fathers to marry their biological daughters? I understand you support polygamy but what about incest?

Yes I did answer your question - if they are two adults of consenting age (18+) and are of sound mind and body then so long as that sort of marital arrangement is legal in their county or state then who's to say that they CAN'T get married? Where are you drawing your assumption that I support polygamy? I merely stated that if the adults in question are - again - of legal age (18+) willing and able to consent and that sort of thing is legal in the county or state then why not? Sure you and I don't agree with it but if they meet the requirements set by the law of the land, who are we to deny them anything?

I already answered that last one. Read my previous post for your answer.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:31 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Perhaps Obama can have another "Summit" so both sides can talk out their differences. How about a luncheon at Chick-Fil-A?

Old 07-22-2012, 01:33 PM

390 posts, read 265,825 times
Quote:
Oh really? The founding fathers, puritans all atheists and muslims?

Thats not the point though. If you allow gays to marry shouldnt you allow polygamists?
Absolutely.

The government has no authority to dictate what consenting adults do.

The problem is there is WAAAAAAAY too much influence on public policy by people and institutions who believe in an invisible sky zombie. They believe they should be imposing their ridiculous belief system on the masses.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:35 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Now to address your response in specific - I support the right of homosexuals to marry. I'm no advocate but I am willing to be the voice of reason here. As for polygamists and siblings - while I don't support it and feel that there's no reason for that sort of thing, I certainly won't go out and *deny* their right to be married. Again - if they meet the requirements to get married (legal age, able to consent, and willing to sign a contract) then who are you and I to deny them that right? It's questionable for a man to have many wives (Mormonism) and for two siblings to marry each other (Kentucky and West Virginia), but even still - who are you or I to deny them the right to marry?
FYI, Mormonism banned polygamy 123 years ago. That aside, I agree with you that we don't have the right to impose our own standards of morality on people who believe differently from us. That's why, as a practicing Mormon, I am not opposed to same-sex marriage.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
FYI, Mormonism banned polygamy 123 years ago. That aside, I agree with you that we don't have the right to impose our own standards of morality on people who believe differently from us. That's why, as a practicing Mormon, I am not opposed to same-sex marriage.
Oh okay. Didn't know that. I just knew that they practiced it at one point in time. Thanks for the info.

[MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-22-2012 at 02:40 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I don't practice sodomy nor am I really aware of it, so no I don't know how many states still hold sodomy as illegal. What is sodomy exactly? I've heard the term but I don't really know exactly what it is. Also, what does sodomy have to do with gay marriage?
Isn't sodomy or anal sex part of male gay relationtions? You say you obey the law so I pointed out the sodomy is still illegal in many states.

Quote:

You're right - the Constitution touches on the 14th amendment which outlaws discrimination. To deny homosexuals the right to marry the people they love and to deny them the same benefits as a heterosexual couple is unconstitutional as it is discrimination. Pay attention.
Really? If the objective is no discrimination at all why do we discriminate against pedophiles or polygamists?

Quote:

Yes I did answer your question - if they are two adults of consenting age (18+) and are of sound mind and body then so long as that sort of marital arrangement is legal in their county or state then who's to say that they CAN'T get married? Where are you drawing your assumption that I support polygamy? I merely stated that if the adults in question are - again - of legal age (18+) willing and able to consent and that sort of thing is legal in the county or state then why not? Sure you and I don't agree with it but if they meet the requirements set by the law of the land, who are we to deny them anything?

I already answered that last one. Read my previous post for your answer.

You are dancing around. I asked if besides gay marriage you also support polygamy and incest (between consenting adults) as these are two other groups that can't legally marry in the US.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:40 PM

390 posts, read 265,825 times
Quote:
Isn't sodomy or anal sex part of male gay relationtions? You say you obey the law so I pointed out the sodomy is still illegal in many states.

Really? If the objective is no discrimination at all why do we discriminate against pedophiles or polygamists?

You are dancing around. I asked if besides gay marriage you also support polygamy and incest (between consenting adults) as these are two other groups that can't legally marry in the US.
Who are you to tell consenting adults who they may sleep with or marry?

Government doesn't have constitutional authorization to do that and neither do you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies