Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:19 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
Within the last decade, I remember paying 85¢ per gal. on a fill-up.

I agree w/you prices are still outrageously high. Somehow though, people (Wheee The Sheeple) seem to be getting used to it.

If it were up to me, we'd immediately cut the price of gas significantly by slashing all the state & federal taxes on gas—which comprise a huge chunk of the retail price you pay. Heck, I think the federal tax should be eliminated entirely; this is NOT an area the FedGov has any Constitutional business in.

Then, to truly allow oil companies to meet consumer demand and sustain a ready supply over the long term, I'd ignore all those flippin' commie treehuggers and drill away! Explore, extract, and refine what we've already got!

Why does Saudi Arabia produce more oil than we do? 'Cuz they don't have the d*mn hippies standing in the way of their energy development! We are blessed with far more natural energy resources than S. Arabia, Mexico, Venezuela or anyplace else. Yet with our tiny cadre of enviro-religious zealot kooks, we can't even drill ANWR or parts of the Gulf shore, and we haven't been allowed to build any new refineries since the '70s

Until enough Americans get really fed up and angry about all these stoooopid policies, I reckon we'll just have to live with $2.65/gallon gas

I know, that's what worries me...we're getting used to it, then what? What will be outrageous tomorrow..frankly, I'd rather ride my horse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 07:22 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,863,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
I know, that's what worries me...we're getting used to it, then what? What will be outrageous tomorrow..frankly, I'd rather ride my horse
Now there's an idea! Love it...

Old 10-11-2007, 07:25 PM

78,429 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Did you not take a look at the chart I posted early in this thread? Do you see how the price of gasoline started rising just literally a few months before the year 2000 election, and it has been trending upward ever since. Very interesting? Granted, the same charts also show that today's nominal price for gasoline does not yet approach the real price (in constant dollars adjusted for inflation) heights for gasoline that were reached a couple of decades ago.
Yes I did. Excellent post by the way....at least you are showing some data and it's even adjusted for inflation which is even better.

However, as you noted the prices started increasing a year or so BEFORE Bush took office. I stated in a post after your graph that this happened before....during the Carter administration which at that time was caused by a supply issue. (I think everyone here agrees on this point?)

Now, google China oil consumption....it's been all over the news for a number of years. China's big boom also has pushed up the prices of steel and copper among other resources.

Additionally, US oil consumption has gone up quite a bit too.

Your graph does not adjust for any supply\demand forces.

Please comment on these points.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Like I said - I just want my wages indexed to the 'real" inflation that includes the prices of bank interest, food and energy in the calculation. Then 3-5% raises wouldn't be so meaningless. I would like my standard of living to be independent of inflation. The income tax structure should also be adjusted to keep (or return) the progressively of the early years of the tax.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Like I said - I just want my wages indexed to the 'real" inflation that includes the prices of bank interest, food and energy in the calculation. Then 3-5% raises wouldn't be so meaningless. I would like my standard of living to be independent of inflation. The income tax structure should also be adjusted to keep (or return) the progressively of the early years of the tax.
Could you share where you think the current CPI is wrong as a measure of inflation?

Since an index is an average it will affect individuals differently. For example let's say that coffee prices double this year....I don't drink coffee so I see 0% inflation while someone else may drink a lot of coffee and are hit harder.

Same goes for gas, I use 400-500 gallons a year for my total household. Others will use 2-3x that.

Should a person that drinks a lot of coffee and drives 150 miles to work in a suburban every day be given a larger raise because the CPI doesn't match that individuals costs? This is one problem with indexed raises.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:30 AM

659 posts, read 1,374,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Now, google China oil consumption....it's been all over the news for a number of years. China's big boom also has pushed up the prices of steel and copper among other resources.

Please comment on these points.
What I see is that these effects with China and her expanding economy are largely the result of decisions taken by large companies in the West to source production in areas of the World with cheap labour, well we all know that, I can hear you say.

Companies are 'companies of people' the name is not an icon, repsonsibilty goes two ways, workers and consumers are part of the company and time will tell if the managment has respected their responsilities or whether they have been blinded.

The point is the technology was a development of centuries of industrialisation in the so called West. This priceless legacy was unloaded for profit short term.

We have only ourselves to blame for the industrialisation of China.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famenity View Post
What I see is that these effects with China and her expanding economy are largely the result of decisions taken by large companies in the West to source production in areas of the World with cheap labour, well we all know that, I can hear you say.

Companies are 'companies of people' the name is not an icon, repsonsibilty goes two ways, workers and consumers are part of the company and time will tell if the managment has respected their responsilities or whether they have been blinded.

The point is the technology was a development of centuries of industrialisation in the so called West. This priceless legacy was unloaded for profit short term.

Please stay on topic.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:11 PM

659 posts, read 1,374,289 times
Quote:

OK so I should have added the boom in China has caused the increase in oil consumption.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
OK so I should have added the boom in China has caused the increase in oil consumption.
Ok, so moving on.....since oil consumption (demand) has increased in China and the US....what would we suspect would happen to oil/gas prices?

What would happen to say a rancher that owned an oil well that broke even at $30 a barrel....when oil went to $60 a barrel?

Old 10-13-2007, 02:01 AM

211 posts, read 985,449 times
why have gas prices gone up 10 cents? In the last week gas prices shot up 10 cents, there werent any hurricanes that I heard about, what is the excuse this week for the stockholders/traders/oilpigs of why gas has gone up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies