Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 10:14 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The unedited video clearly has Obama referencing the bridges and roads that the business owner did not build. Are you people only viewing King of Liars Romney's edited version? I guess so, but don't you think it would be only a retarded brain that actually believes that a POTUS, any POTUS or any person for that matter, would make such an asinine statement about a business owner. That makes sense to you? Are you that gullible or feeble minded?

Romney video crops Obama's words to fabricate the quote they wish he'd said
Daily Kos: Romney video crops Obama's words to fabricate the quote they wish he'd said
It's more than the actual quote. It's the underlying assertion that more big government is his idea of a good and proper American style of prosperity. Sure, the quote is damning in it's own right because it can be construed in several different ways. But us thinking people are sitting here scratching our heads not about the quote specifically, but about the Big Government Prevails Over Individual Hardwork™ mindset that this President harbors. This perspective is what will ultimately take him down, no the specific quote itself.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:18 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The unedited video clearly has Obama referencing the bridges and roads that the business owner did not build. Are you people only viewing King of Liars Romney's edited version? I guess so, but don't you think it would be only a retarded brain that actually believes that a POTUS, any POTUS or any person for that matter, would make such an asinine statement about a business owner. That makes sense to you? Are you that gullible or feeble minded?

Romney video crops Obama's words to fabricate the quote they wish he'd said
Daily Kos: Romney video crops Obama's words to fabricate the quote they wish he'd said
Quote:
If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.
And goes on to say in the same paragraph...
Quote:
Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.
Interesting enough, he mentions the Golden Gate Bridge which the government opposed and was finally built by a local investor.

And in the original days of the Internet - ARPANET - using the facility for any business purpose was forbidden.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:19 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So why are business owners ridiculed and told they didn't do anything if they in fact built the very roads obama is crying about?
Don't expect a logical response to that question. CRICKETS

Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
There is no defense for Obama's statement. Only ones who agree are communists or paid trolls of the dear leader.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I think perhaps it made me realise just now different his view of america and what my friends and I want than what he imagines creating.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:27 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It's more than the actual quote. It's the underlying assertion that more big government is his idea of a good and proper American style of prosperity. Sure, the quote is damning in it's own right because it can be construed in several different ways. But us thinking people are sitting here scratching our heads not about the quote specifically, but about the Big Government Prevails Over Individual Hardwork™ mindset that this President harbors. This perspective is what will ultimately take him down, no the specific quote itself.
The quote is obvious in its intent and meaning. You are reading something into it that is just not there.

Quote:
If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.
OMG...the actual unedited quote is so damn innocuous that in any other place and time and from any other POTUS, no one would blink or give it a second thought. Romney edited it to sound ridiculous. Is Romney channeling Breitbart?

Old 07-19-2012, 10:30 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
The gov and obama own nothing and have no money. It is all taxpayer owned and taxpayer money obama and the gov spend,never forget that,ever

Old 07-19-2012, 10:38 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
He DID say it--in regard to roads and bridges--just not in regard to your business. The quote was taken out of context (which is a polite way of saying that that the people who made it into a hit piece LIED), and it's the kind of gotcha cut and paste crap that makes me sick of both sides. As the story on this ad comes out, it doesn't do much to help Romney get rid of his reputation for a having a problem with the truth. This was not a smart move by his people, because it's too easy to show that they made the whole thing up. .

Obama: 'If You've Got a Business, You Didn't Build That. Somebody Else Made That Happen' | CNSNews.com
We all know what he said and we all know what he meant and we all know how dumb people are who try to spin it.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:43 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
We all know what he said and we all know what he meant and we all know how dumb people are who try to spin it.
Only the Piper really knows his followers are dumb. Obama knows his followers will worship his every word and will follow him into Nannyland where their every wish and dream will be fostered by their figurative grandmother - Julia.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:48 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Natalay, did he or did he not take a direct shot at the very American story of the hard-working entrepreneur, the guy or gal who was smart enough to figure out a way to bring society a product or service that became successful?

That is one very clear message in the whole statement in context.
He did not. You've been told this by many posters. You aren't going to convince us and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
What I heard was no one succeeds alone.

When I was in college all the professionals they brought in said pretty much the same thing. They all preached networking and collaboration.

I don't think I've ever heard someone say "I'm here today because of me, myself and I"

How was that a shot?
Of course it wasn't. Obama can't do right in their eyes no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies