Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 10:32 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times

Advertisements

The biggest problem with our healthcare costs is not doctors' salaries; it's all the middle men and the bureaucracy.

You do not want doctors who graduated from Fly by Night University and are willing to take a whack at your open heart surgery for half off the price of the Stanford grad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 11:30 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
in America only you and your employer should decide if you are over payed or under payed, not you, not the government.
Agreed. I don't know who suggested otherwise...

Old 07-22-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
After high school, physicians are in college/training for an additional 11-15 years, depending on specialty, with little or no income. Debts accumulate to nearly $300K.
How do you figure? 4 Years Undergraduate/4 Years Medical school. Internships and Residencies are paid work. No the pay isn't great (for a doctor) but most of America would kill for the "underpayment" hospital residents make. Fellowships are paid as well.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
It's none of anyone's business what someone makes. Worry about yourself.
I am worried about realistic ways to bring down healthcare costs for everyone. If you only want to worry about yourself move to Somalia.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:14 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
My coffee this morning was $2. I could brew it at home for $0.20. Clearly the gal at Peet's is making too much. I say we pass a law and cut their salaries.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:26 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
How do you figure? 4 Years Undergraduate/4 Years Medical school. Internships and Residencies are paid work. No the pay isn't great (for a doctor) but most of America would kill for the "underpayment" hospital residents make. Fellowships are paid as well.

I was paid $18,000 per year as a resident. Fellowship went up to $35K, but I was functioning clinically as a staff physician.

That was when there were no limits on the number of hours that we were asked to work. We calculated that we made less than minimum wage as residents, given the number of hours we put in.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:31 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Agreed. I don't know who suggested otherwise...
Odd. This post discredits the thesis of the article you posted. I concur with that disagreement. (Your post 52 copied above)

Last edited by bobtn; 07-22-2012 at 01:44 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 01:34 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
I am worried about realistic ways to bring down healthcare costs for everyone.

Ditto: (1) Tort Reform
(2) Obesity and Smoking Price Premiums charged in full (w/o subsidy) to those making such lifestyle choices

Old 07-22-2012, 01:40 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
I mean you are going to see stuff like that when you have enforced scarcity. There were 20 years with only one new medical school as a result of AMA working to keep tuition and wages high the US population grew by 60 million in that time, but only a single med school was added. Potentially thousands upon thousands of qualified medical doctor candidates were not trained during this period due to the enforcement of scarcity. It is being corrected now, but it will take a while for the effects to be felt.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/15/ed...edschools.html

It is essentially the same thing as if you lived in a rapidly growing city in which no new grocery stores opened in 20 years, or no new K-12 schools were built in 20 years. It would cause a problem that would take some time to work out.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 07-22-2012 at 01:51 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 02:34 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
...but at the same time, many make $400K+.
First clue that this is differently twisted propaganda.

Many what, spinal surgeons? Oncologists? What kind of doctors are we talking about here?

Are you unable to distinguish between specialties?

Quote:
How much is too much profit from the illnesses of others?
I guess that depends on what you think your life is worth.

Quote:
Can the system be changed to incetivize doctors for keeping people healthy, instead of treating them when ill?
I don't know. Are you using a Crystal Ball or a Ouija Board?

Maybe doctors should ride in your car, so they can be backseat drivers and prevent you from getting into an accident that would require their services.

Quote:
Please don't reduce this to some silly whine about some "envy" and "hate-the-rich" baloney-- This is a very significant part of our ridiculous healthcare costs...
Penis Envy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't know if they're overpaid, but they're certainly not starving. Doctors and surgeons as a group make more than anyone else.
Penis Envy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
It is overpayment, if the 400K is AFTER all their bills, loans, office, insurance, employees, and any other bills are paid, and it's profit ONLY.
Penis Envy.

Oh, let's test your theory real quick.

Doctor gets $400,000.

Doctor spends 1,000 hours in surgery.

$400,000 / 1,000 hours = $400 per hour. Not at all unreasonable, since as a security consultant, I get paid $750 per hour.

Suppose the doctor spent 1,400 hours in surgery.

$400,000 / 1,400 hours = $285 per hour. Not at all unreasonable since, attorneys make anywhere from $15/hour to as much as $400/hour or higher.

We have a massive fail here.

Pointing out the obvious....

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
The class warfare is starting to verge on self-parody. So these people want more regulation of healthcare, zero tort reform, and now doctors are paid too much? Yeah, considering you need great grades to get into medical school and more than a decade of additional education and training to practice medicine and usually work long hours at the start of your career, the pay is a major incentive to become a doctor in the first place.

The US already has to import doctors from overseas to meet its needs and the people complaining about how much doctors get paid seem to be trying to remove any incentive to become a doctor.
Yes, Frank, I think there is some disease that causes people to rather stupidly demand something for nothing. My primary care doctor is a woman from India. My neurosurgeon is from Argentina. The doctor that does my EMGs is from the Philippines (there's a picture of him somewhere on this forum). My orthopedic surgeon is from Brasil (I joke with her and my neurosurgeon about football --soccer). My ophthalmologist is from South Africa. And they all work at the University Hospital or the VA Medical Center. They're all good to excellent.

If I had to rely solely on US doctors, I'd be screwed.

Concurring...

Mircea

Quote:
Physician salaries make up only 8% of healthcare costs. Your concern over physician salaries, as they relate to the cost of healthcare, is misguided, given the relatively small impact on total costs.

After high school, physicians are in college/training for an additional 11-15 years, depending on specialty, with little or no income. Debts accumulate to nearly $300K.

Physicians work more hours than the average worker as well, putting in 80 hour weeks, due to evening and weekend work.
Exactly.

Quote:
I was paid $18,000 per year as a resident. Fellowship went up to $35K, but I was functioning clinically as a staff physician.

That was when there were no limits on the number of hours that we were asked to work. We calculated that we made less than minimum wage as residents, given the number of hours we put in.
Yes, but some interns don't even get paid that much. And yes, they're working 18 to 24 hours per day. Peanuts really.

Agreeing...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I mean you are going to see stuff like that when you have enforced scarcity. There were 20 years with only one new medical school as a result of AMA working to keep tuition and wages high the US population grew by 60 million in that time, but only a single med school was added.
Uh, those are medical schools, not Major League Baseball. We don't add schools like expansion teams just because we wanna.

Like leaders, teachers, artists, soldiers, musicians, professional athletes and such, you are either born to be a doctor, or you were not born to be a doctor. And no amount of education, training, seminars, self-help books, motivational training, audio-tapes, hypnosis, magical spells, magical potions, Harry Potter films, wishful thinking or anything else will ever change that.

Only so many people are doctors, and when you run out of people who are doctors, you import them, instead of waving a magic wand proclaiming that someone is a doctor when they are not.

And you don't seem to understand the complexities of the issue. The length of time it takes to train a doctor, particularly in specialty fields has continually increased since the 1960s. Adding additional medical schools will not reduce the time it takes to train doctors through internships and residencies.

Medically...

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies