Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pro-life people, is abortion okay is the child is a result of rape?
I'm pro-choice so this is irrelevant to me 38 55.88%
I'm pro-life and even in the case of rape and incest, all life is precious 27 39.71%
I'm pro-life but I think in this case, the baby isn't worthy of being born 3 4.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

It's still the mother's baby. Just like a woman who finds out her husband is a terrible guy wouldn't be justified in killing her kids. It would be much better to solve rape by keeping rapists locked away in prison instead of the revolving door that allows them to keep getting out and raping again and again and trying to solve the whole problem by just killing their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 07:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Of course abortion is justified in the case of rape as the husband no longer has any property involvement in the child. It is not HIS so why not abort it. This is the attitude of most MALE anti-abortion advocates. They consider rape to be a property crime not an assault on an individual. The crime is against the male that controls the woman and not her. Many of the women anti-abortion people are in the "I got stuck with the child and so should you" school.

I think the decision to keep or abort a fetus is the woman's and only the woman’s. It is her body and if you cannot control what is happening to your own body you are not a free individual but someone's slave.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:19 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times
I am pro choice. I believe it would be arrogant in the extreme to tell a woman what she should, or should'nt do with her body.
I remember Irish women having to travel to the UK for an abortion because they were illegal in Ireland, so was divorce. The catholic church more less ran the country.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
If you are for the choice to abort in cases of rape and severe disability, then you're not really pro-life. IMO I think it's incredibly hypocritical to go on about how life is precious and the mother should not have the choice to murder her baby, and then throw away that whole argument in some cases. If you are for the choice to abort in some cases, then you are, in the end, pro-choice.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Those who have been forced to copulate would seem to be an exception to the accountability rule as no one wants a rape victim to suffer even more for an action they never voluntarily took.
In other words, life is only precious sometimes.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:34 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
I'm pro-life and believe that all life is precious (meaning I also oppose the death penalty). Even in the case of rape, the child is still half the mother's child. Would you agree that if it's OK to abort a baby conceived through rape, it's OK for the mother to abandon her child if the father is abusive? Admittedly, it's not the same level as rape, but it's the same general idea.

That being said, I feel that abortion in the case of rape should be legal. Even though I strongly disagree with it, if criminalized, those babies are still going to be aborted one way or another. I can't stop someone from doing it no matter how much I think it's a barbaric and inhumane act.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:40 AM

What drives me nuts is a lot of pro-lifers accuse pro-choicers of using abortion as birth control. I think the bulk of pro-choicers are against the idea of using abortion casually, and just want to have it as an option in more dire circumstances, like rape, for example. Honestly I think the only difference is that pro-choicers admit they're willing to allow for choice in these circumstances, whereas many pro-lifers, who would probably want the choice if it became a personal decision, don't want to admit this. However, I would venture to guess that both pro-choicers and pro-lifers cherish life, and that when it comes down to it, people on both sides of the fence would want more or less the same choices if this issue became relevant in their personal lives. It's easy to say a woman should always have a baby, but what if that's your baby? I think, generally speaking, pro-choicers are just more open to others about the choices that they would want in that situation than pro-lifers, who cling to their stance of cherishing life, only to waffle when cases like rape/incest come up.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Why is the "baby not worthy of living"?

It's a little creapy.

I am pro-life and a woman's right to choose is her decision to live with.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:44 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,181,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
If you are for the choice to abort in cases of rape and severe disability, then you're not really pro-life. IMO I think it's incredibly hypocritical to go on about how life is precious and the mother should not have the choice to murder her baby, and then throw away that whole argument in some cases. If you are for the choice to abort in some cases, then you are, in the end, pro-choice.
Exactly. Same with the death penalty. Even if you only think Nazis deserve the death penalty, you're still pro death penalty.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:46 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,181,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I'm pro-life and believe that all life is precious (meaning I also oppose the death penalty). Even in the case of rape, the child is still half the mother's child. Would you agree that if it's OK to abort a baby conceived through rape, it's OK for the mother to abandon her child if the father is abusive? Admittedly, it's not the same level as rape, but it's the same general idea.

That being said, I feel that abortion in the case of rape should be legal. Even though I strongly disagree with it, if criminalized, those babies are still going to be aborted one way or another. I can't stop someone from doing it no matter how much I think it's a barbaric and inhumane act.
I agree. I think the only time abortion would be a 'good' thing is if the mother's life is in danger giving birth. I do think the mother's life has priority over the unborn's, but the idea of killing a baby conceived in rape is awfully close to an honor killing imo. But I wouldn't judge a woman who had an abortion for whatever reason, it's none of my business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies