Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:36 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
Lol you assume the supreme retards are always correct in their rulings. Would you like me to list the countless times they have been wrong?
Do you find all sentence enhancement laws to be unconstitutional?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If a crime is found to be motivated by hatred based on the victim's religion, ethnic background, sexual orientation, etc., then the criminal charges are enhanced. It's that simple.
Makes sense to me. I've never understood why righties are so against this get tough on crime measure - they're usually in love with such things.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:59 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The gays are doing it to themselves for attention.
Your mentality is part of what empowers people to inflict this kind of violence against others. I'm hope that you can live with that fact.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:55 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
If a crime is found to be motivated by hatred based on the victim's religion, ethnic background, sexual orientation, etc., then the criminal charges are enhanced. It's that simple.
All violent crimes are hate crimes, period. It is the crime itself which is abhorrent and should be punished. Gender, religion, race, sexual preference should matter not. Prosecute all violent crimes to the maximum extent.

This "special category" for each victim is demeaning and dehumanizing to all, including those this PC categorization it was intended to serve.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pancake View Post
Lol you assume the supreme retards are always correct in their rulings. Would you like me to list the countless times they have been wrong?
lol... Oh yeah. Please do. This should be good.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I agree they are all hate crime. It was hate crime when gay's danaged those chruches i california i their public portest. All kinds of crimes are hate crimes.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
All violent crimes are hate crimes, period. It is the crime itself which is abhorrent and should be punished. Gender, religion, race, sexual preference should matter not. Prosecute all violent crimes to the maximum extent.

This "special category" for each victim is demeaning and dehumanizing to all, including those this PC categorization it was intended to serve.
The gender, religion, race, sexual orientation, etc, of the victim doesn't matter. There are no "special categories" of victims. Bias motivated sentence enhancements deal with criminal motivations.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:21 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,339,193 times
As a gay guy myself I am sort of torn on this issue...I just go by what I see..Where I live a few years ago there were murders of Migrant workers...They were known to keep cash in thier homes...all the news outlets branded this as a hate crime etc etc I mean clearly they were targeting the hispanic workers..they broke into over 3 homes and murdered the migrant workers and stole all the cash..well when they caught the suspects they happend to be African american,then all of a sudden the media backed off the hate crime thing...well why?? they were clearly targeting the migrant workers..to me that constitutes a hate crime!! I really can see both sides of this issue.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:35 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Why is a crime any worse just because the person found something personal about you that they did not like? By your logic, any assault against you by a person who knew you personally, should carry an enhanced sentence over a complete stranger.

"And your honor, the assailant hated his victim for stealing his girl friend in the 5th grade, and he referred to him as a 'red-headed dick weed'."

"Your honor, my client did not know the victim personally, and it was too dark to form an opinion on the victims race. He just randomly beat the hell out him because he is a cruel person, so his sentence should be lower."

Old 07-30-2012, 03:58 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
And often are.

The Supreme Court case I alluded to above that dealt with bias-motivated sentence enhancement laws (Wisconsin v. Mitchell) involved a group of black men who, after watching Mississippi Burning, decided to go and assault any white person they came across ("beat up whitey"). They beat a 14 year old white boy into a coma.
One significant difference, Wisconsin v. Mitchell, 508 US 476 (1993), involved a State law, not a federal law. The federal government is restricted to only those powers specifically granted by the US Constitution. States do not have that limitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies